Filtering out Bounced Messages

Hello,

I receive about 100 bounced emails every day due to spammers using my domain as the FROM address. This has been going on for months. I recently signed up for SpamCop. SpamCop does a great job of getting rid of spam but does not get rid of these bounced messages.

Is it possible to get rid of these bounced messages with SpamCop?

When responding, please keep in mind the following:

1. I have my domain host automatically forward all messages to SpamCop, which automatically forwards to my mobile email device (Danger Sidekick). There is no manual filtering that I know of with any of these providers, and I can't use the SpamCop webmail to filter since I do not read my mail from it.

2. These bounced emails have been occurring for months. It is not the kind of thing where spammers will stop using my domain for no reason and move on to the next domain.

Is it possible to get rid of these bounced messages with SpamCop? Thanks in advance for any responses.

caplan8293

Not unless they are coming from the same domains all the thime, then you could blacklist them. I have never had the situation last more than a couple days.

One way would be to use the spamcop parser on the headers only to determine where the bounces are coming from and manually complain to their administrators that they should not be bouncing to the from address of a message as it can be easily forged.

Another way is if the original headers are preserved in any of the bounce messages you could use the spamcop parser on the headers only to determine where the original messages are coming from and manually complain to their administrators that they are allowing a spammer to send their message through their machine.

In either of these cases you are NOT allowed to report through spamcop as it is against the agreement you made to use the system. Bounces are not allowed to be reported and the original spam was not sent to you.

The only other action I have seen mentioned is to try and determine the origin of the spam and try to sue them for identity theft. Finding the originator is very difficult and proving it may be harder still, especially since the headers are so easily forged.

Archived