Daylight Savings Time - most U.S. based Windows users

Wazoo

Daylight Savings Time changeover dates have been changed for 2007+ .... Microsoft has seen fit to provided patches for 'some' of their products.

List of products affected by daylight saving time

For those not running the latest and greatest from them, problem boils down to the 'new' 11 March change to the starting 'spring-forward' date which will leave your system an hour behind for a while, but then of course, then trying to jump yet another hour ahead at the 'progranned' changeover date in another few weeks (assuming one noticed the hour dfference and 'fixed' it) .... and of course, the same issue applies to the 'fallback' date later this fall.

Just a heads-up ....

For some humour, Daylight Saving Time Help and Support Center for 'help' .... noting that "You must have active scripting enabled to use this guide" .... much in contrast to the "deactivate active scripting" instructions to so many of the 'Windows/IE/etc. is exploitable' solutions

Just noting a total nightmare with the +0800 standard +0900 daylight saving in the southern hemisphere - fully patched (my end) but some sort of server-PC thing is assuming corrected time needs advancing yet another hour in Outlook scheduling. Accept a meeting time then look at the auto entry in calendar and the scheduled time has advanced an hour. Only 3 weeks to go ... (nifty excuse for being late though).

I see that Microsoft isn't the only place that took their tme getting around to taking care of this issue .. just received an e-mail from Palm, talking about needing to go get the DST update for "all" Palm® products .. so, off we go to gather the updates for handling this for several folks, several Palm handhelds, and .... just like Microsoft, the patches are only available to 'current' products.

It wouldn't bother me as much is the e-mail hadn't used the description "all Palm® products" .... and of course, there is no way to reply to the e-mail address used in the headers .....

Arrrgh! .... this server handled things just fine. (though not sure at present if this is simply a result of a time look-up/sync .... the actual TZ-location data files my yet still have to be updated/manipulated)

This applcation however ...... recalling that the "auto-DST" code was added in the 2.1.x version) ....

Firgure a re-boot wll bring it into line, but that would also imply that it would then also change the DST settings again in a couple of weeks. Gong to have to go back and look, but right now, I don't recall this issue being in the list of things fixed/added/etc. in the the next several versions that have been released.

Stolen post from a Ubuntu support Forum:

I remember a quote from a Native American that said DST was like cutting off one end of a blanket and sewing it on the other.

For those of you using XP - if you have Automatic Updates enabled, and you accept them, you should be fine.

Anyone still running W2K will have to apply a patch manually.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/dst_topissues

This reads like a short story, btw. Pack a lunch before you launch this page.

Edit: More information from another enthusiast -

I did some MORE web surfing and found a place from where the Windows98 version of TZEDIT.EXE may be downloaded from Microsoft, along with instructions for its use (in case you don't want to rely on an "unofficial" program but want to get the Microsoft utility and do the patch on your own). The URL to that discussion is: http://groups.google.com/group/micro...821d260?hl=en&

The actual Microsoft location from which the Windows 98 versions of TZEDIT.EXE, TZEDIT.HLP, and TZEDIT.CNT can be obtained via anonymous FTP is: ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/tec...Reskit/CONFIG/

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=54164

Problem: user copied the 'shortened' version of the GoogleGroup link amd pasted it into this post ....

Of course, as pointed out buy another happy camper ...

Next, you then have to update PHP, Java, Python, and any other non-C/C++ programming language, in some cases ...

Just noting .... server is fine ....

zdump -v EST5EDT | grep 2007

EST5EDT Sun Mar 11 06:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Mar 11 01:59:59 2007 EST isdst=0 gmtoff=-18000

EST5EDT Sun Mar 11 07:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Mar 11 03:00:00 2007 EDT isdst=1 gmtoff=-14400

EST5EDT Sun Nov 4 05:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Nov 4 01:59:59 2007 EDT isdst=1 gmtoff=-14400

EST5EDT Sun Nov 4 06:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Nov 4 01:00:00 2007 EST isdst=0 gmtoff=-18000

Archived