[Resolved] Spamcop not picking up POP3 mail

For the last few hours, Spamcop has not collected any POP3 mail from my ISP - the "Configure POP3 Servers" page on the Spamcop web site is showing a high error count with "Unknown error 8". I can collect mail from my ISP directly myself with no problems.

Is anyone else seeing a similar problem?

Thanks,

Chris

No traffic on the newsgroups on this. Hours have passed since your query with no "me too" posts here.

What have you done to troubleshoot thus far?

I just got in to see this message and I too see an error with the popgate server giving the mentioned error.

popgate.cesmail.net x[at]yahoo.com password 1 Unknown error: 8

My other entry for gmail is popping just fine (no errors, but that gets very little traffic).

I resaved my config. If it is still an error when I get hime, I will send a message off to JT.

I resaved my config. If it is still an error when I get hime, I will send a message off to JT.

The messages were here when I got home. If you are still seeing the error, I suggest you go into the config and resave the setups (I made no changes).

The messages were here when I got home. If you are still seeing the error, I suggest you go into the config and resave the setups (I made no changes).

Sorry - should have followed up on my original message. It all sprang into life after about 3h. All OK now.

Thanks,

Chris

I must correct my previous post...

Although Spamcop is picking up POP3 mail this morning, it's doing so much less frequently than normal. It normally picks up mail from my ISP about every 15 minutes; this morning it's typically taking over an hour to do so. There aren't any errors, just this rather drastic slowdown in mail collection.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks,

Chris

Although Spamcop is picking up POP3 mail this morning, it's doing so much less frequently than normal. It normally picks up mail from my ISP about every 15 minutes; this morning it's typically taking over an hour to do so. There aren't any errors, just this rather drastic slowdown in mail collection.

Chris:

There is no "normal" time period for the pickup, more of an average. The delay between subsequent pickups depends on how many people are using the POP service (fairly stable) and how much mail is being picked up at that time (can be very erratic, especially if there has been a problem with the service). This will usually level off after a day or 2. I can not comment on the time because I rarely get any valid email on my popped accounts.

For example, there are 10 people using the service, it works through each of those ten peoples accounts (some have more than one) then starts again. If 1 person has had a problem and LOTS of email has collected, or if a new person joins with 10000 messages in their inbox, the other people will be waiting for those messages to download. It is a serial process.

Archived