Blocked by my ISP?

juaner2

I am not an IT expert, but just a end user, so please disregard any misuse of the technical vocabulary.

We have a dynamic IP (I deem this term is right) from our ISP. Since last week, we can not send email using Outlook Express. Everytime that we click "send all" we obtain the following error message (sorry, is in Spanish):

"El mensaje no se pudo enviar, el servidor rechazó la dirección de correo electrónic"o del remitente: "ejmr[at]magyas.onored.com". Asunto 'Jeannie's NIE number', Cuenta: 'mail.magyas.onored.com', Servidor: 'mail.magyas.onored.com', Protocolo: SMTP, Respuesta del servidor: '550 mail not accepted from blacklisted IP address [84.122.39.104]', Puerto: 25, Seguridad (SSL): No, Error de servidor: 550, Número de error: 0x800CCC78"

We called our ISP helpline several times.

[at] 1st time: They informed us that we were blacklisted in Spamcop (we had another IP 84.122.50.229) , and referred us to deal direcly with Spamcop. I made a blackmail dispute listing

[at] 2nd time: We already have the current IP 84.122.39.104. They informed me that they will solve the problem. I do not know how, but they solved it in minutes.

[at]3rd time: I am told that if I want to avoid this kind of problem, I have to pay for a fixed IP (that are much more expensive that dynamic ones) otherwise they can not do anything.

We have updated AV solutions, and we have cross scanned with on-line tools, but we do not find anything wrong.

I am doubtful about who is blocking us? The people we send emails to.... or our own ISP? I have noticed that we do not obtain any feedback email message from any recipient, just the OE error window transcribed above when clicking the "send all buttom".

Any clarification will be welcomed.

Thanks

Unfortunately I am not an IT expert either but I seem to be the only one around. Yes, you are using a dynamic IP address and if you are trying to send mail through that address it will be blacklisted (not blackmailed - that is a different thing blackmail = chantaje :D ). See spam database lookup - not currently listed on SpamCop but it may have been before. Note the expressions like "Dynamic IP or generic rDNS. Use your ISPs mail service." Receiving servers using those blacklists would block your mail whether spam is coming from your address or not - they block because it is a dynamic address. Is there any reason you are not using your ISP's mail server? I note the ONO FAQs

El correo electrónico de ONO es accesible en formato web mail desde Internet a través de "http://www.ono.com/correoONO/". Si accedes a Internet mediante el ISP de ONO y desde dentro de nuestra red, puedes además configurarte la cuenta para acceder a ella utilizando el protocolo POP3. No olvides visitar nuestro Rincón del cliente donde te explicamos paso a paso cómo hacerlo.

Roughly The electronic mail of ONO is accessible in Webmail format through the Internet at "http://www.ono.com/correoONO/". If you access the Internet by means of ONO and our network, you can in addition configure the account for access using the POP3 protocol. Do not forget to visit our Client Corner where we explain to you step by step how to do it.

. I think if you do this your immediate problems will be overcome. You may be able to use another ISP's mail service as an alternative. You could still get blocked through no fault of yours - if another user of the same IP address sends spam. But we all face that possibility.

I am not an IT expert, but just a end user, so please disregard any misuse of the technical vocabulary.

We have a dynamic IP (I deem this term is right) from our ISP. Since last week, we can not send email using Outlook Express. Everytime that we click "send all" we obtain the following error message (sorry, is in Spanish):

We called our ISP helpline several times.

[at] 1st time: They informed us that we were blacklisted in Spamcop (we had another IP 84.122.50.229) , and referred us to deal direcly with Spamcop. I made a blackmail dispute listing

[at] 2nd time: We already have the current IP 84.122.39.104. They informed me that they will solve the problem. I do not know how, but they solved it in minutes.

[at]3rd time: I am told that if I want to avoid this kind of problem, I have to pay for a fixed IP (that are much more expensive that dynamic ones) otherwise they can not do anything.

Your descriptions appear fine to me.

Currently:

84.122.50.229 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

84.122.39.104 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

I can find no public reports for either IP address in the last 90 days. I do not have access to spamtrap data.

What is the setting in Outlook Express for Outgoing mail (SMTP)?

Usually, your client (Outlook Express) would connect directly to your ISP's mail server and the server would send to the recipients server. Most servers will not accept email directly from end user machines because of spam and viruses.

Babelfish conversion of error message:

The message could not be sent, the servant rejected the mail direction electrónic"o of the sender: "ejmr[at]magyas.onored.com". Subject ' Jeanniés NIE number', Account: ' mail.magyas.onored.com', Servant: ' mail.magyas.onored.com', Protocol: Smtp, Answer of the servant: ' 550 mail not accepted from blacklisted IP address [ 84.122.39.104 ] ', Port: 25. Seguridad (Ssl): No, Error of servant: 550. Number of error: 0x800CCC78

It is possible you are on other bocklists.

It appears that the IP address just came off the SpamCopDNSBL .... due to data lag, it is shown at this moment as still listed at http://www.senderbase.org/search?searchBy=...g=84.122.39.104

Real-time blacklists [ Click to view all ]

bl.spamcop.net http://spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&a...p=84.122.39.104

dynablock.njabl.org Dynamic IP - http://www.njabl.org/cgi-bin/lookup.cgi?query=84.122.39.104

cbl.abuseat.org http://cbl.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=84.122.39.104

Just to say it a third time ... you hit your OE Send button ... You receivng this Blocked message from another ISP states that you are trying to send directly from your computer to that other computer .... most places these days will block you simply because of the "Dynamic IP address" involved .... that there has been 'bad' traffic in enough quantity for a SpamCopDNSBL listing is just another issue.

telnet 84.122.39.104 25

220 AVG ESMTP Proxy Server 7.5.460/7.5.463 [269.5.4/769]

If you look around in here a bit, you'll find you are not the first person complaining of being SpamCopDNSBL listed and then finding that this Proxy is running on that very system ....

It looks suspiciously like your ISP, ONO, may be filtering OUTGOING email against the spamcop DNSBL. This is definitely NOT a recommended use of the list, it should be used only for filtering incoming email. Am I correct in understanding that the message you posted does not come back as an email, but as a pop-up message in outlook express?

:) Thank you to everybody.

It looks suspiciously like your ISP, ONO, may be filtering OUTGOING email against the spamcop DNSBL. This is definitely NOT a recommended use of the list, it should be used only for filtering incoming email. Am I correct in understanding that the message you posted does not come back as an email, but as a pop-up message in outlook express?

Yes, the message I posted never, never, comes back as an email but always, always, as a pop-up message in OE. That's why I am a little suspicious about my ISP (that, through its helpline, only offers me the solution to contract a more expensive solution with a fixed IP saying that it will stop my troubles. It's that absolutely true?).

As it refers to the "webmail" option provided by my ISP, ONO, it does work with no problem. That is the way we are trying to sort this for extremely urgent email (non-urgent remain for hours until our dynamic IP is delisted). However, webmail is quite difficult to use -when you are not skilled with computers - and cause us a lot of delay in sending emails.

One question: we are scanning, and re-scanning our PCs with different AVs, but we do not find anything but some tracking cookies. May these tracking cookies cause the problem? May a third (out of organisation) be using our IP without consent to deliver spam?

Thanks again.

Noting: questions asked --- not answered

Items addressed -- no responses

(that, through its helpline, only offers me the solution to contract a more expensive solution with a fixed IP saying that it will stop my troubles. It's that absolutely true?).

As stated in the FAQs, in the above replues, and in many other places, the use of a Dynamic IP address will cause a "Blocked" situation at many ISPs .... if the current situation is caused by spam spew leaving this IP address, then it doesn't much matter whether it's static or dynamic ....

As it refers to the "webmail" option provided by my ISP, ONO, it does work with no problem.

Clue: this would be using their "designated" e-mail server .... not "your computer" which is what seems to be implied thus far ...

That is the way we are trying to sort this for extremely urgent email (non-urgent remain for hours until our dynamic IP is delisted). However, webmail is quite difficult to use -when you are not skilled with computers - and cause us a lot of delay in sending emails.

No idea what tool is in use, but that description seems pretty strange when one looks at Yahoo, HotMail, GMail, etc. TYhere's a lot of folks that don't have "skills" but send e-mail after e-mail ...???

One question: we are scanning, and re-scanning our PCs with different AVs, but we do not find anything but some tracking cookies. May these tracking cookies cause the problem? May a third (out of organisation) be using our IP without consent to deliver spam?

The "third of the organization" is a bit of an impoosuble thing to 'answer' here .. no one here has any idea what your organization/network looks like ....

The above mentioned "AVG Proxy" is not a 'virus' ..... Anti-Virus tools tend to look for 'virus' type things, not spyware, malware, trojans, intentionally installed crapware, misconfigured 'legitinate' software ....

Not once thus far have you used the word 'firewall' ...

Archived