[Resolved] I got a return e-mail to my report account!? What do i do with it?

The following came back to my [at]reports.spamcop.net address, with the original mail inline:-

Dear Sir,

Arrakis Servicios y Comunicaciones S.L.U. provides to business and consumer users a variety of telecommunications services such as internet access, electronic mail (email), world wide web hosting arrangements, voice and other data and telecommunications services. Arrakis is totally against spam. Although spam laws vary from country to country, Arrakis has developed an Anti-spam Policy to conform the highest commercially reasonable standards. As a result, and without limiting the general prohibitions against all spam, if any of our customer is found using services for spamming purposes may be cut from use. Customers are solely responsible for the content and messages that they post, distribute or otherwise make available using Arrakis services.

At the same time one of our priority responsibility is to protect the privacy of our Customers and to create a better Internet Environment in General. Therefore if we can identify with the IP provided the spammer will be warned and an immediate action will be taken.

Sincerely

abuse[at]landsraad.net

Anybody know about these sorts of things?

I don't know if I'm supposed to reply and verify, or whether I even trust them at all to do something like that. Could it be just automated crap? or shall I just cycle it through the SpamCop reporting system once again? LOL

Can somebody please advise?

For the time being it'll just sit in my Junk folder awaiting a decision.

Thanks in advance,

D3V

The following came back to my [at]reports.spamcop.net address, with the original mail inline:-

Anybody know about these sorts of things?

I don't know if I'm supposed to reply and verify, or whether I even trust them at all to do something like that. Could it be just automated crap? or shall I just cycle it through the SpamCop reporting system once again? LOL

Can somebody please advise?

For the time being it'll just sit in my Junk folder awaiting a decision.

Thanks in advance,

D3V

First do you have your account set to accept all messages or only "sentinent people"? This is a standard "robot" type reply. If you should not be receiving them, forward a copy to the deputies and they will add landsraad.net to thier list of ISP's that send robot responses.

If you accept all responses (I do) you will get these types of responses from a few different sources. My biggest source of spam with a reply lately is Vectoral Servers Abuse [noreply[at]vectoral.info]

First do you have your account set to accept all messages or only "sentinent people"? This is a standard "robot" type reply. If you should not be receiving them, forward a copy to the deputies and they will add landsraad.net to thier list of ISP's that send robot responses.

If you accept all responses (I do) you will get these types of responses from a few different sources. My biggest source of spam with a reply lately is Vectoral Servers Abuse [noreply[at]vectoral.info]

It was set to "Forward only replies from sentient people"

Could you either pm me or direct me to a section of the FAQ which details how to forward to the deputies, please.

Thanks.

I know this says 'resolved' but I don't see what is wrong with the email. It is obviously a form letter, but it is from the abuse desk and does say that if they find their customer is spamming, the customer will be warned. Since your settings are for sentient people, then someone had to deliberately send it even if it is a form letter.

IMHO, if you have the settings so that you get replies from sentient people, then you should treat them as real replies. In this case, since it is a form letter, it could be ignored. In other cases, when it seems to be from someone who is unrepentant, then it depends on your time constraints on whether you take the time to reply (you have to use some other address so that they don't just listwash you.) In the few cases where they say they have stopped the spam, then a thank you is in order (though I would use a different address to send it from anyway).

A side note: some abuse desks don't even send automatic replies to spamcop reports. If you manually report a spam to these people, you will get an auto-ack. If you send a spamcop report, even if you accept all replies, you won't.

Miss Betsy

I know this says 'resolved' but I don't see what is wrong with the email. It is obviously a form letter, but it is from the abuse desk and does say that if they find their customer is spamming, the customer will be warned. Since your settings are for sentient people, then someone had to deliberately send it even if it is a form letter.

Miss Betsy,

What about that letter makes you think it is anything but the same automatic reply I get from several different abuse desks. It does not specifically mention the incident or the sender and does not even provide a specific ticket to reference the incident.

The "sentinent people" setting is supposed to weed out the useless robot type responses and allow through the responses from real people actually trying to do something about the specific incident.

IIUC, to get an email from a 'sentient' being, the sender has to choose to send the email somehow; otherwise spamcop drops them.

It may be an auto-ack, but somebody had to choose to send it. Someone wanted the reporter to know that if it really was spam, something would be done by the abuse desk, but that someone didn't want to take the time to compose a new email. According to policy, the abuse desk cannot confirm or deny that a customer has been cancelled so there wouldn't be a whole lot more to say.

Of course, I might be wrong in how spamcop determines whether it is an auto-ack or not, but I don't think it used to be a filtering process.

Miss Betsy

Archived