Using sub folder under "InBox"

I have created and use a sub folder "Temp" to move messages out of "Held Mail" to be able to process them separately after dealing with the regular held mail.

After quick reporting all held mail I move the items in the "Temp" folder back to "Held Mail" and process them there as needed (ie white list, forward for full reporting, etc.

The messages are then flagged as deleted in the "Temp" folder but remain there as permanently deleted items.

Is there any way to delete a deleted item?

Note: the primary reason I use the Temp folder is I view all my held mail via IMAP because I hate the held mail interface for checking if there is any mail in the held mail that should not be there before quick reporting in bulk

Note: empty trash deletes the messages in the trash folder but leaves the deleted messages in the Temp folder

If the messages can not be deleted, then I guess the only work around would be that when the temp folder gets too full, I simply will have to delete the folder and create a new one.

Any suggestions?

Note: the move option results in the same problem. The messages do get moved but remain listed in the temp folder as having been deleted.

Please purge the deleted messages that you don't want via your IMAP Client. In OE, the command is "Edit / Purge Deleted Messages" (Alt+ER) while viewing the appropriate Folder. Thanks!

Thanks for the information. It works great.

It just seemed strange that those deleted messages also appeared when viewing from the SpamCop web mail screen as well and could not be deleted their either.

Also deleted messages within the held mail did disappear both within the IMAP client as well as the SpamCop mail view.

Thanks again for the assistance.

You offer a great service.

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you. Yes, it would be good for Webmail to have a "Purge Deleted Messages" function, along with companion "Delete but do not move to Trash" and "Undelete" functions in order to more fully compete with and clean up after other IMAP frontends like OE.

Yes, it would be good for Webmail to have a "Purge Deleted Messages" function, along with companion "Delete but do not move to Trash" and "Undelete" functions in order to more fully compete with and clean up after other IMAP frontends like OE.

ke ? webmail/IMP offers you 2 modes, one where it behaves exactly like OE/IMAP - i.e. straight line through a deleted message, hit purge link to get ride of it. 2nd mode is where all deleted messages go to trash which you must empty manually.

spamcop.net,Mar 29 2004, 10:14 PM]
Yes, it would be good for Webmail to have a "Purge Deleted Messages" function, along with companion "Delete but do not move to Trash" and "Undelete" functions in order to more fully compete with and clean up after other IMAP frontends like OE.

ke ? webmail/IMP offers you 2 modes, one where it behaves exactly like OE/IMAP - i.e. straight line through a deleted message, hit purge link to get ride of it. 2nd mode is where all deleted messages go to trash which you must empty manually.

I believe you are referring to the "Webmail / Options / Mail Management / Deleting and Moving Messages / When deleting messages, move them to your Trash folder instead of marking them as deleted?" Checkbox. I have just unchecked it and will see how that affects my experience.

spamcop.net,Mar 29 2004, 10:14 PM]

I believe you are referring to the "Webmail / Options / Mail Management / Deleting and Moving Messages / When deleting messages, move them to your Trash folder instead of marking them as deleted?" Checkbox. I have just unchecked it and will see how that affects my experience.

Well, that was quick. "Report as spam" left 180 messages marked as deleted on the first page of my Held Mail Folder, but I was offered "Deleted" and "Undeleted" marking options, along with "Hide Deleted" and "Purge Deleted" Links. I think it would help to allow those marking options and Links whether or not the "When deleting messages, move them to your Trash folder instead of marking them as deleted?" Checkbox is checked. I have been using IMAP to archive my reported spam from my Trash Folder rather than just delete it. I have clicked the "Hide Deleted" Link (revealing a "Show Deleted" Link) and I will see how well OE does with archiving from a cluttered Held Mail Folder, and how well Webmail does with many hundreds of hidden deleted messages in my Held Mail Folder.

Archived