Vista and its folder Unwanted messges

Oriolus

Hi,

Whether or not XP showed the same difference, I cannot remember, but since I run under Vista in combination with Office 2007, my spam mails (sure to be reported to SpamCop.net) show a different body when residing in the "Unwanted mails" folder than when I move them to a normal folder. I only noticed this difference until recently.

I report my spam with header and body separately, but reporting the body sitting in the Unwanted messages results in a restricted pack of information if the body is HTML. In that case source of message is grayed out, so the HTML-code is not copied, but only the visible text. If I would have moved the message to another folder, the source of the message could be made visible and copyable into the 2nd pane of the report to be sent.

My question is now: Made it any difference that I reported only the (then and there in the Unwanted messages folder) visible part of the message, and even worse was my reporting incomplete to be handled by SpamCop's mechanism? If so, it would be a good idea to point out to users in the instructions for reporting, that spam residing in the Unwanted messages folder should be moved elsewhere before offering the necessary information to be reported. I hope my reports were of any value if they were incomplete, and not correctly formatted.

Sorry, if my explanation of this phenomena is somewhat vague. But it can be important for Vista (and/or?) Office 2007 users to keep this unexpected matter in mind. And, if important for successful reporting, it might be valuable to state something of this in the instructions how to report.

Sorry, if my explanation of this phenomena is somewhat vague. But it can be important for Vista (and/or?) Office 2007 users to keep this unexpected matter in mind. And, if important for successful reporting, it might be valuable to state something of this in the instructions how to report.

Send me a copy of Vista and Office 2007 and I'll take a looik .... oh yeah, I'll also need a computer with enough horsepower to run it on ....

At this point, this isn't really a (SpamCop.net) Reporting issue as much as it is yet another Microsoft made things better issue .... so for today, I'm going to move this to the Geek/Tech Things - Software Issues Forum section.

• 3 weeks later...

Send me a copy of Vista and Office 2007 and I'll take a looik .... oh yeah, I'll also need a computer with enough horsepower to run it on ....

At this point, this isn't really a (SpamCop.net) Reporting issue as much as it is yet another Microsoft made things better issue .... so for today, I'm going to move this to the Geek/Tech Things - Software Issues Forum section.

Definitely. :)

Seriously, though... I'd recommend SpamDeputy for Outlook and spam reporting. It will allow you to view the source of the email. I can't swear that it'll work with Vista, but you've got a better chance with SD, and the Beta is free.

OK, dealing with some issues 'here' .... while trying to come up with how to do a 'repair' on OE6 on a Win-XP system with IE7 installed (and not coming up with any answers short of rolling back the system so as to do a reinstall/rebuild on the IE6 package ..??) ... I ran across the Vista comment od "Ourlook Express has been replaced by Windows Mail" .....

I am so curious as to why this hasn't come up by now .. or is this "Unwanted Mail Folder" a part of this "Windows Mail" application? (not having Office 2007 in hand, I don't know if this is an Outlook thing either)

Archived