Wazoo

DropDown or word links?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Dropdown menu better?

• Yes
    • no
    • doesn't matter
    • doesn't work

Did this on the test 2.2.2 install .. brought back to this version while waiting for the 2.3.0 release ... putting it up for a vote ... wondering if it could make a difference, or both versions will be just as 'invisible' for some folks .... left the big color change in place such that it just might draw some attention <g>

wondering if it could make a difference, or both versions will be just as 'invisible' for some folks ....

Everything will be invisible to "some folks" Wazoo. Unfortunately you can not change that. I simply like the way it looks and allows more options in a cleaner way. These options can standardize the ways we walk people through problems (Pull down SpamCop Discussion...)

I agree with Steven's remarks.

If it were possible to activate the dropdown menus on mouse over it would be better than having to click on it to activate the dropdown menu.

The concept is great and even better if it can be expanded into multiple submenus that continue to expand as you mouse over them; basicly making it a complete index to the FAQs.

The one limiting factor, unlike the wiki, but like most of the other tools you have tried, is that any additions, changes can only be done by Wazoo; but the functionality of it is much better than the Wiki.

Thank you Wazoo.

After a bit more thinking, the structure could be built in the Wiki which would allow multiple users to help in its development and then it should be easier for you to simply copy the structure back into the menu here.

Link to Wiki development area: http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/CategoryForumDropDownMenu

Any thoughts about the Wiki development structure?

It might be possible to develop it in html with workable drop downs, but I have no idea how to start that but have create a page for it if anyone is interested.

Currently it only contains a flat outline form of the main and first levels

Link to Wink html development area http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/CategoryForumDropDownMenuHTML

I voted 'no' even though it adds more options.

If implemented it would replace the entries of the same name found on the blue line. It would not remain as a separate white menu bar.

It only appears as an additional bar at this time for testing purposes.

Note: the other 3 items in the blue bar may also be deleted as they are also found in the new dropdown menus.

If implemented it would replace the entries of the same name found on the blue line. It would not remain as a separate white menu bar.

It only appears as an additional bar at this time for testing purposes.

Note: the other 3 items in the blue bar may also be deleted as they are also found in the new dropdown menus.

I don't know about others, but I prefer all links to open in a new window. I always use the links at the very top of the page which do just that. I know I can right click if I have to, however.

I don't know about others, but I prefer all links to open in a new window. I always use the links at the very top of the page which do just that. I know I can right click if I have to, however.
I perfer having the choice, left click for same window, right click for new window.

The concept is great and even better if it can be expanded into multiple submenus that continue to expand as you mouse over them; basicly making it a complete index to the FAQs.

The one limiting factor, unlike the wiki, but like most of the other tools you have tried, is that any additions, changes can only be done by Wazoo; but the functionality of it is much better than the Wiki.

Thank you Wazoo.

After a bit more thinking, the structure could be built in the Wiki which would allow multiple users to help in its development and then it should be easier for you to simply copy the structure back into the menu here

Now, that part I like!

There could be drop lists for Blocked /Blocklist /Reporting Problems/Email for instance that would have links to the top ten questions and one for the correct forum.

Miss Betsy

Wazoo, you are probably aware of this. Sometime around 7AM unless my caching was involved before that, the line "global_board_header" is appearing at the top of all pages, below the Google search function.

Once again, doing a dozen things at the same time ... KVM switch involved flipping between this system and an XP system undergoing installeation, upgrading, patching, etc. I had pulled open a file 'here' to edit, made a copy of the existing, made some changes that didn't work out .... pulled that Notepad copy back over and pasted it in .... yep, to include that first line of test I'd inserted to make sure I had the correct file name .... will knock it out in a few .... I had just noticed it myself, but went to handle the 'new' posts frst .....

Thanks for the heads-up ....

• 1 month later...

Basicly going a bit nuts .. 2.3.0 keeps getting noted as "this is fixed in 2.3.0" .. yet ... security patches are still coming out for 2.2.2 ....

Thousands of users, a couple of hundred views, yet only 15 votes cast ...

and still working 'around' the lack of data sitting on the hard drives in the fried system ... just can't seem to get the timing right on e-bay parts that I can afford, yet not ready to go totally nuts on trying to move all that hardware to another system / box ....

Thousands of users, a couple of hundred views, yet only 15 votes cast ...
Unfortunately that has been the pattern all along.

One thing not to forget is that the number of views needs to be discounted based on a factor related to the number of replies and the time period between replies as some of us do revisit the topic each time a reply is posted.

But the point does not change. Very little interest in getting involved by most, unless they find a personal need or problem they feel has be be addressed.

• 4 months later...
...Should the link to the Wiki really be in the "SpamCop" pages drop-down list? It doesn't seem to me to fit, in that it is under "our" (that is, the users, not SpamCop's or JT's folks') control.
Actually the Wiki is no different that the Forum in terms of who as final control. Both run on the same server. The Wiki has simply not received any direct influence from JT as has the Forum. And remember that the primary purpose of the Wiki was to provide an alternate version of the SpamCop FAQ, therefore they really do need to be listed together.

Edit: looks like I failed to read your post correctly, you were refereing to the SpamCop Pages link, with the quotes only around SpamCop I miss the other reference. I would tend to agree that the Wiki should be removed from the pages drop down but left in the FAQ drop down list.

OK, Wiki removed from the SpamCop.net Pages dropdown. I left the Portal page (well, renamed it and moved it to the top) because it also serves to tie the whole thing together. One of these days, it ought to be worked on a bit (OK, a lot) more ....

OK, Wiki removed from the SpamCop.net Pages dropdown.
....Thanks!
I left the Portal page (well, renamed it and moved it to the top) because it also serves to tie the whole thing together.

<snip>

...Sure, I have no objection to that! :) <g>

Archived