[Resolved] SpamCop.net e-mail issues - 13 May 2007

Hi all, does anyone know if POP3-SSL service is indeed down at the moment? Since this afternoon, Outlook has been throwing an immediate error message of being unable to connect, prior to this it has worked fine for months. Non-encrypted POP3 is still fine(as is HTTPS webmail), it's just the encrypted option(via port 995) that's not working for me.

Thanks in advance.

Noting that all my good data files are sitting on a system with a fried CPU, it's taking me a bit of time to recollect data ... anyway, but the time I got though rebuilding some of my data tables on what is sitting where .. IMAP is back up, webmail-SSL is responding ....

Is 216.154.195.36 down? My server cannot connect to it to send mail.

Thanks,

Dave

Moderator Edit: merged this 'new' Topic omtp the existing Topic about e-mail server issues ....

Is this part of the same issue? Usually you throw something up on the web login page. Is there an ETA?

Thanks,

Dave

Is 216.154.195.36 down? My server cannot connect to it to send mail.

again, I don't have all of my notes available ... but .. yes, there is an issue 'getting to' anything at this IP address ...

05/13/07 19:52:43 Slow traceroute 216.154.195.36

Trace 216.154.195.36 ...

66.35.174.122 RTT: 61ms TTL:170 (suw02.gig1-0.edeltacom.com probable bogus rDNS: No DNS)

216.154.207.13 RTT: 55ms TTL:170 (suwC1-gig3-5.qualitytech.com probable bogus rDNS: No DNS)

216.154.207.22 RTT: 77ms TTL:170 (suwE1N-gig1-1-4.qualitytech.com probable bogus rDNS: No DNS)

* * * failed

* * * failed

possible repeat of the issue at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8204

On the other hand (again, without all my okd notes) ... the IP address in question doesn't ring a bell either ...

But I can say that I attempted an e-mail a short bit ago to Deputies/SenderBase and had to use a GMail account as the Beta SMTP server wasn't working either .... (but then again, I'm not sure I have it set up correct;y on this temporary system either ...)

Mail exchangers for spamcop.net.

10, mx2.spamcop.net.

5, mx.spamcop.net.

Resolve to :

mx.spamcop.net.

mx.spamcop.net.

mx2.spamcop.net.

mx2.spamcop.net.

-Dave

I think that JT just switched something....5 minutes ago, my servers couldn't connect to "mx.spamcop.net" and *could* connect to "mx2.spamcop.net" but now that's been reversed. There are either some routing problems, or JT is aware of problems and is making some changes right now. There's nothing posted on the System News page.

DT

Still not flowing :( Not a major deal, but a LARGE PITA.

And to add to the problems Wazoo is having, MY system decided to throw up yesterday just before I was heading off to a wedding. Working on my old system (currently used by the kids) and trying to get it configured with all the needed software (Money and Email, primarily) and making sure the kids can't use it to play with my data are my primary concerns. I guess I will hold off on trying to configure the email for a bit.

Is this part of the same issue? Usually you throw something up on the web login page. Is there an ETA?

The use of the word "you" in this case doesn't work. Only JT has access to the servers in question ...

Guess it's time to get serious about moving some of my data around ... I just had (I believe) and AMD processor fry on my main system .... that one has 4 hard drives, maybe 600Gig of storage, most used ...

However, silly me ... all of my backups are on DVD .. and it was only after that system went dark did I realize that none of the other systems I have sitting around have a DVD installed .... never mind no drives big enough to use directly .... didn't want to start moving hardware around until I get hold of a new CPU (to see if that's all it'll take to bring that system back up) ... bascally, none of the cases I've got hanging around/available are big enough to house the cotents of that main system, so if the CPU doesn't solve it, then a complete motherboard swap is going to be needed ...

Anyway, as time passes, I'm rebuilding my databases, notes, indormation the hard way, also a forced leaning curve on Win-XP, IE7, and the lack of the power tools I've snagged/created over the years on my 98 system .... sucks ... anyway, loss og battery power in a Palm device, thereby losing all that Contact data has me looking at jerking a hard-drive so I can at least pull off some files .. just 'not there' yet ....

But, none of that actually matters, as again, the issues in the data center are not handled from 'here' .... see my last attempt to try to get involved there ....

I noticed I haven't had ANY spam since this morning. Based on my usual volume that ALWAYS indicates a problem. Sure enough I have about 100 messages waiting in my email ISPs inbo, that isn't getting POP retrieved into Spamcop email. The POP settings screen says there are no errors -- so it's obviously not even trying at the moment.

Moderator Edit: also adding this one to the first Topic .... will change Topic Title this time ...

Moderator Edit: also adding this one to the first Topic .... will change Topic Title this time ...

I suppose POP retrieval might be related to the other problems but I did want to be sure to distinguish between the problem I'm having (the spamcop email system POP retrieving from external hosts) and POP retrieving spamcop email. I'm having trouble with the former and I don't use the latter. (I use IMAP, which seems to be working.)

Shedding a little more light....here's what JT told me:

One of the MX servers had a catastrophic failure today. Because we have

redundancy, there shouldn't be much impact, if any, but we will be busy

tomorrow bringing another MX online.

DT

I got online this morning to see that today's news (on the login page of webmail) has been updated.

May 14, 2007

* [08:15 EDT] We had an incoming mail server fail over the weekend. We have redundant servers and all mail is flowing normally at the current time. We will be working on replacing this server today. In the meantime, we are temporarily deferring incoming email from likely spam sources. We are not bouncing this email, and it should eventually be delivered once the other server is back online, but to protect ourselves from high volumes we are prioritizing the cleaner email. There is a possibility of small mail delays today, but hopefully this step will prevent that.

Today the POP retrieval is working. Since it's such a rich source of spam (I've had that particular email address since 1996) maybe they had mine and others shut down for a few hours while they got the failure under control.

I got online this morning to see that today's news (on the login page of webmail) has been updated.

Today the POP retrieval is working. Since it's such a rich source of spam (I've had that particular email address since 1996) maybe they had mine and others shut down for a few hours while they got the failure under control.

Sounds likely. It's rather annoying - of the 4 accounts that Spamcop is supposed to POP, it has now resumed to process three, but the fourth has an error count of 152 by now, with error "Unknown error". It's the one with by far the highest amount of spam coming in, so the measure announced on the webmail page obviously remains active. More than 30 hours have passed since the initial failure - about time to have a replacement server running, IMO. No option but wait, I guess... :(

No option but wait, I guess... :(

It happens from time to time that the account information gets corrupt and resetting it helps. Sometimes just reentering the password, sometimes deleting the entry and recreating it.

You could try that and see if the errors start accumulating again within the hour.

It happens from time to time that the account information gets corrupt and resetting it helps. Sometimes just reentering the password, sometimes deleting the entry and recreating it.

You could try that and see if the errors start accumulating again within the hour.

Hm, good idea, but didn't work. I removed the entry and recreated it, and after the usual 5 minutes or so the error count increased again, showing "Unknown error: 6" again (really helpful message anyway). I did everything you can do to a POP server in a telnet session to that account, and it all worked flawlessly. I dearly hope Spamcop gets this resolved real soon, that account is drowning in spam :wacko:

Just sent this through the Spamcop contact form, hoping for a quick resolution:

Two days ago, there was this mail server failure at Spamcop, at which point all my four accounts at various ISPs, which are supposed to be POPped by the Spamcop email system, stopped being processed. Since yesterday, three of those are processed fine again, but the fourth, with by far the biggest volume of email going through it, is still not POPped. I deleted and recreated the entry, but it still merrily increases the error count showing an incredibly helpful "Unknown error: 6".

That account is close to unusable without going through Spamcop, so please look into this. My spamcop user name is "iixii[at]spamcop.net". Thanks!

Just sent this through the Spamcop contact form, hoping for a quick resolution:
...Thank you, both for finding the contact form to send your message and for taking the time to let us know! :) <g>

Got a reply from Ellen earlier ("Hi -- I have forwarded your mail to Jeff, who runs the email system."), and now the mail is finally pouring in! B)

Basically stating that the wrong Contact form was used .....

Basically stating that the wrong Contact form was used .....

OK, let me tell you how incredibly easy it was to find that contact form I used, OK?

Spamcop start page after login... hmm... too bad, no "Contact" link.

Ah well, let's try "Help". Drat, no contact link either. Hm, let's read the "Frequently Asked Questions".

Ah, "How can I contact a SpamCop representative?", that sounds promising at last.

Hmm, ah, "Email service support", that sure must be it.

OK, let's see... "first check theTips from Newsgroups", hmmm, no contact hints there.

"Secondly, the main source for quick help is the SpamCop Email Forum", yeah, I know how particular people in the forum are about that you can't expect help from SpamCop personnel there, so skip that.

"A third place to get assistance in the SpamCop Mail Newsgroup", cool, except there's no SpamCop personnel there either.

And that's all there is under ""Email service support". Great.

So back one step.

"Other reasons for contact". Well, what else can I do? They sure don't want you to be able to contact them about the email system easily.

Obviously, that's the contact form I ended up using, and it worked after all.

So, Mr. Helpful, when jumping at me for using the "wrong" contact form, how about at least telling me what the "right" one would have been?

<snip>

how about at least telling me what the "right" one would have been?

...Here's how I found it (not suggesting, necessarily, that it is the "obvious" search strategy):
  • Click link (near top of every SpamCop Forum page) labeled " Latest and Current Announcements ."
  • Click link labeled "Not finding the Help you need?"
  • Click link labeled "SpamCop Email Service Contact Info."

...FWIW, if there is no link readily available from the SpamCop e-mail page, I would recommend that a SpamCop e-mail user suggest to JT that he add one.

...FWIW, if there is no link readily available from the SpamCop e-mail page, I would recommend that a SpamCop e-mail user suggest to JT that he add one.

I agree the contact page should be linked from the webmail login screen. I will send that suggestion now.

OK, let me tell you how incredibly easy it was to find that contact form I used, OK?

Spamcop start page after login... hmm... too bad, no "Contact" link.

Ah well, let's try "Help". Drat, no contact link either. Hm, let's read the "Frequently Asked Questions".

Ah, "How can I contact a SpamCop representative?", that sounds promising at last.

Hmm, ah, "Email service support", that sure must be it.

<snip>

Obviously, that's the contact form I ended up using, and it worked after all.

So, Mr. Helpful, when jumping at me for using the "wrong" contact form, how about at least telling me what the "right" one would have been?

My first response .. you were walkng around the "Official" FAQ .... Please take a look at the SpamCop FAQ via links at the top of this page .... take the time to read the 'introduction' comments that explain just why that single-page-acces-expanded version was hacked together 'here' ....

Steve T. noted some of the additional spots that 'we' have placed appropriate links 'here'

Note the even more recent attempt at a Where to get Help page ..... and note that this is not available on the "Official" FAQ page, despite repeated requests to have it added ....

There is only so much I can do, even with the help of the other Moderators and volunteers here ....

Archived