why isnt this report working ?

john1000

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1302478511z7...5e27bff0e1c4ccz

out of 10 spam mails i report 1 will ends up like that..

No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

why is that ?

...It works fine for me: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1302486886z9...af4661a35040a6z. Do you have MailHosts configured for your account (also see http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/397.html)?
and second...

ive tried 2 times now if i receive a bunch of spam to use the forward submit..

normaly i would get the mail to complete,but i dont get that anymore..

...Please see SpamCop FAQ (link near top left of each SpamCop Forum page) link labeled "Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing? No Confirmation e-mails?" and let us know whether or not it appears relevant to your situation (and if not, why not). Also, it might help us if we knew what OS and e-mail software you are using (see "Announcement: [How-to] Post a Question (and prevent stupid/rude answers)" which is in the "Announcements" section of each SpamCop Forum front page, for example, http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showforum=3).

well ive been reporting spam to spamcop for a long time,never had any configurations problem..

im using windows xp pro and use mozilla 1.0.7

a few days ago i couldnt report any mail anymore and did the spamcop mail config again..(verifying myself)

after that all was ok...

and the one i posted maybe worked for you but i saw different results..

and the one i posted maybe worked for you but i saw different results..

It worked for him because he took the data you presented and ran it through a reporting account that does not have mailhosts configured.

The problem with your submission:

by amsfep11-int.chello.nl

Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts

the amsfep11-int.chello.nl (or maybe even chello.nl since that is the way it is supposed to work) were not in your mailhost configuration. If chello is a new mail provider for you, that would explain it. Otherwise, chello made a change to their network and it required you (or another chello customer) to update the spamcop system, which it appears you did.

It worked for him because he took the data you presented and ran it through a reporting account that does not have mailhosts configured.

<snip>

...Actually, my reporting account does have MailHosts configured. Did you perhaps mean that it worked for me because I am not a Chello customer and therefore Chello is not in my MailHosts config?

...Actually, my reporting account does have MailHosts configured. Did you perhaps mean that it worked for me because I am not a Chello customer and therefore Chello is not in my MailHosts config?

No, because you should not be able to parse messages for other people at all if you have mailhosts enabled. Are you sure you used a mailhost protected reporting account for that example? I know I have 2 accounts, my paid one with mailhosts and a second free one which used to be work which is currently unprotected.

the chello.nl is my internet provider..

my used email account is the original one given to me 7 years ago.

thats also the one i use here at spamcop and is the one i submit spam with.

so all is original..

the faild spam mail i tried to report was addressed to that original mail account,so whythis one faild is weird.

<snip>

the faild spam mail i tried to report was addressed to that original mail account,so whythis one faild is weird.

...Unless, as StevenUnderwood suggested above, "chello made a change to their network."
No, because you should not be able to parse messages for other people at all if you have mailhosts enabled. Are you sure you used a mailhost protected reporting account for that example?

<snip>

...100% absolutely certain that I did set up the MailHosts config for the account I am using. *GASP* It seems to have gotten lost somehow .... :( <frown>

the chello.nl is my internet provider..

my used email account is the original one given to me 7 years ago.

thats also the one i use here at spamcop and is the one i submit spam with.

so all is original..

I haven't been following this topic, but looking at it really quickly, it looks like StevenUnderwood's suggestion that chello.nl had changed something was your problem - based on your comment: "did the spamcop mail config again..(verifying myself) after that all was ok..."

It was strange that only one in ten seemed to fail, but there is probably a logical explanation.

Miss Betsy

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1302478511z7...5e27bff0e1c4ccz

out of 10 spam mails i report 1 will ends up like that..

The problem is that the Mailhost on your account is for chello.at and the spam you're reporting was handled by chello.nl. To SpamCop, those are as different as night and day.

The configuration test message you used to establish your Chello Mailhost shows chello.at servers only, so you did everything right, and so did SpamCop.

I don't know why 1/10 of the spam you get would be handled by chello.nl servers when most of your mail is handled by chello.at. All very strange.

Anyway, I added the chello.nl host to your account and everything is working fine now.

ive tried 2 times now if i receive a bunch of spam to use the forward submit..normaly i would get the mail to complete,but i dont get that anymore..

Everything looks OK on this end. All I can suggest is that you make sure you're sending the spam to the 'submit' address shown on the "Welcome" page when you log into your account here.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

make sure you're sending the spam to the 'submit' address shown on the "Welcome" page when you log into your account here

well i indeed use that but as you added the other mail host now it will probably work now...

i will try that with the next bunch of mails.

thanks for helping out.

This is just one more example, reason why the blind use of quick reporting is dangerous (note: does not directly apply to this topic, only using this topic to restate the dangers)

It simply shows that even if you set up every right, the parsing results are not always what you expect.

In the case of this topic no reports were being sent, but one could easily see where the opposite could also be true.

This topic might be a good addition to the FAQ with a title change.

I will make some Wiki entries pointing to it as well.

Archived