Pegasus + Norton Anti-Virus ... oooops!

Wazoo

I received an email from David Harris the creator of Pegasus email.

Apparantly there is an issue between Norton Antivirus and Pegasus

email. In a nutshell Norton is flagging Pegasus as a Trojan and

deleting the program. I put David's email on the TNPC Blog. He

gives specific steps to take if you are affected and points to a

discussion for more information:

http://www.tnpcnewsletter.com/blog/

http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/659.aspx for the actual discussion and remedies .....

Ah, priceless session with Symantec support there.

Reported grc.security NG

Looks afixed now downloaded defs today 5/18 and ws able to reinstall

Pegasus. This erased all my settings, etc. so if one has important saved

mail better back up the folder first..

Nothing seen on Norton/Symantec support or security pages (guess they're waiting for their lawyers...)

• 8 months later...

I have read this one as well. I think they should try to disable there Norton Anti virus and changed it into another anti virus software.

By the way here is the e-mail of pegasus chairman

Since a signature update on May 15, Norton Antivirus has begun detecting the Pegasus Mail executable program, WINPM-32.EXE as a trojan horse called “Trojan.Dropperâ€. The first symptom most people will have of this problem is the deletion of WINPM-32.EXE during a system scan.

Firstly, we wish to stress that there is no trojan horse in Pegasus Mail: the Norton Antivirus program is producing a “false positive†- an incorrect analysis based on poor or erroneous signature information.

Secondly, you will not be able to recover from this problem without first amending your Norton Antivirus installation, since it will automatically delete any attempt to download or reinstall the Pegasus Mail program.

I have read this one as well. I think they should try to disable there Norton Anti virus and changed it into another anti virus software.

???? Did this come up yet again or are you actually replying to and regurgitating facys from over 6 months ago?

Archived