Mailhosts

svanslyck

It is hardly helpful to have the Report spam page tell us that "The knowledgeable and adventurous may give [the new Mailhosts system] a try. But most users should not, until the system is more stable," and then, when we look over the Mailhosts page to learn more we find out that "For users using their SpamCop email exclusively, the process is even easier - it is already done (visiting this page has activated it!)."

The Mailhosts instructions asks, "Do you understand and agree to all of the above?"

These should be separate questions. At the outset, the pages should explain clearly what is meant by a mail account. I know what the words mean to me, but I have no idea what the real intent is? Are they talking about POP accounts? SMTP accounts? Accounts spamcop POPs? What???

For Mailhosts purposes, an "email account" is an account with an email services provider that entitles one to receive email sent to the email address(es) associated with that account. A typical SpamCop free reporting user may have just one or two email accounts (a spammy one with its ISP and maybe one with a freemail provider like MSN Hotmail or Yahoo!).

At the other end of the scale, I am a complex SpamCop Email System Customer, and I have dozens of accounts and a virtually unlimited number of email addresses. My initial attempt at Mailhosts configuration failed - I will be trying again soon.

Archived