Fake lottery tracking numbers/winning numbers

mdmcginn

Are the fake lottery tracking numbers/winning numbers completely random, or does spammers use them to code my email address? If I respond from another email address, and include the entire message in my response, how likely is it that the spammer will know which address the email was sent to, by decoding the winning number? That is, how often do lottery scammers set up a system where winning number 10834298723 means myemail[at]example.com? Another post on this forum suggests they can, and of course, it's certainly possible. I was curious how often it happens in the wild.

usually the lottery scams are pretty low-tech operations, and they likely sent out several million emails all using the same tracking/winning number. I would say that the chances of them tracing a number back to your email address are about the same as winning and internet based lottery...

...That is, how often do lottery scammers set up a system where winning number 10834298723 means myemail[at]example.com? ...
Certainly possible but you can do some sort of check by Googling that "winning number". In my experience the same numbers (and other parts of the "notification") have been used repeatedly for years, bearing out Will's observation/opinion.

usually the lottery scams are pretty low-tech operations, and they likely sent out several million emails all using the same tracking/winning number. I would say that the chances of them tracing a number back to your email address are about the same as winning and internet based lottery...

I don't have one right now to search on, but take that winning number and search Google Groups (search option available at the top of every page) and see if there are multiple sightings? It will only be positive if you find multiple messages.

• 8 years later...

Why do you think everybody is a spammer. If people want to share some information, it doesn't mean they are spammers. As for me I play australian lottos and I am happy to win pretty good money. Off course, it happens rarely, but i don't regret, because I like to feel the taste of winning. Find here Australian Lotto Results

Although this is a vary old thread, the new post included a link.
One of the things we see quite a bit of on this highly indexed forum are efforts to add links to help search engine placement of other sites.
To avoid any miss understandings, we break all links. Moderators, our supporters and users of this 'spam fighting' forum are generally in agreement that this forum should not become "the place" to add irrelevant posts/links to support other endeavors.

Archived