Unwanted Button and Tab

Simon

Two problems

1 I have just noticed a new button at the top of my Microsoft Internet Explorer which, when I hover over it, says 'International Website address report'

2 When I start Microsoft Internet Explorer sometimes a second tab is opened with the following address 'http://xn--0oaa7974du3zc/' (or very similar)

May I ask:-

Q1 Have I got a virus?

Q2 Are these two connected?

Q3 How do I get rid of them?

Many thanks

Simon

Can you provide a little more detail? What you have in your post is very vague and lacking.

What version of IE are you using?

Specifically where is the "added" button?

What does the button look like?

Where do you see it showing 'International Website address report'?

Etc., etc........as much info as possible.

Can you provide a little more detail? What you have in your post is very vague and lacking.

What version of IE are you using?

Specifically where is the "added" button?

What does the button look like?

Where do you see it showing 'International Website address report'?

Etc., etc........as much info as possible.

- sorry -

a) Version: I'm running Windows XP Professional and IE Version 7.0.5730.11

b.) Location: To the right of the (long oblong) box where one types in the web address and to the left of the 'Refresh (F5)' button

c) Looks like: It's a square button the same size as the 'Refresh (F5)' button

d) When my cursor hovers over this button then I see 'International Website address' - just like when my cursor hovers over the ‘Refresh (F5)’ button I see ‘Refresh (F5)’. I think this may be called a 'hint' or 'help' feature of various Window applications.

Many thanks

Simon

I don't think you have a virus. The button showing 'International Website address' is actually part of IE 7.

Here is a portion from Microsoft "IDN Display Protections

Internet Explorer 7 natively delivers full IDN functionality and display protections. The Internet incorporates a global community, and browsers must be able to handle non-English characters and domain names. Operators of malicious Web sites have used international character display issues as a mechanism for phishing attacks against users and as a way to hide the true Web site domain name. The problem derives from international alphabets; many characters in certain languages (e.g., the letter “a†in English) can resemble entirely different characters in other languages (e.g., the letter “а†in Cyrillic). As a result, an individual with malicious intent may register a similar domain name to fool users into submitting their content to a false site. Previous versions of Internet Explorer did not have IDN support and thus were not vulnerable to this attack. Internet Explorer 7 not only delivers native IDN support but also provides extensive security mechanisms to protect users from attack. One of the core security features of IDN support in Internet Explorer 7 is the multiple language display in the Address Bar."

Farelf's link is a good bit of info too.

1 I have just noticed a new button at the top of my Microsoft Internet Explorer which, when I hover over it, says 'International Website address report'

2 When I start Microsoft Internet Explorer sometimes a second tab is opened with the following address 'http://xn--0oaa7974du3zc/' (or very similar)

May I ask:-

Q1 Have I got a virus?

Q2 Are these two connected?

Q3 How do I get rid of them?

That you seem to be saying that you did not knowingly install some 'neat, kewl toolbar application' or some 'magic reporting add-on tool' pretty much hints at malware being installed.

Have you looked at Tools | Internet Options | various tabs/settings to see what's been newly added via those controls?

Have you done any virus/trojan/malware scanning of your system at all? There are several recommended tools found in Suggested Free Security Tools and Apps for Windows

Under IE7's Help, there is a "Digging deeper ..." section that includes this IDN section. The information part comes in as the last paragraph;

If you frequently visit websites that are written in languages that you cannot currently view, you might want to install additional languages in Internet Explorer. When the message appears on the Information bar, click Change language settings, and follow the prompts on your screen.

This has nothing to do with your "second Tab at start-up" .. but does mostly explain the first item.

Archived