How do I filter my spamcop address mail?

I forward mail from my main email address to spamcop which filters and forwards to my non (less) public address. However it does not seem that my spamcop email address is filtered. I had assumed it would be by default, but now I get a smaller number of obvious spam, obviously not passed to my held mail.

Do I need to add my spamcop email to my email list before it also is filtered?

I believe the choices are to have your filters executed automatically upon login, upon display of the InBox or not executed automatically. In other words, you need to login to Spamcop.

I'm assuming you don't want to login to SpamCop to execute your filters. I don't know of a way to do this.

Sorry if I'm not clear. I DO want spamcop to filter my spamcop email address for spam. I don't think it does.

99.9% of spam sent to my normal address is caught and held, but spam addressed to me at spamcop gets through regularly. Not much, and usually the same junk, but obviously recognizable as spam. So why is it not caught?

Actually, now that you made me think a bit more I did some more checking on some held mail. I don't usually read that stuff. Just report and trash, but I hardly ever get any through addressed to my regular email which I use a lot, but I get more through (not held) to my spamcop address, which I seldom use.

I looked closer at some of the latest held spam and do see that much of it IS addressed to my spamcop address as well.

So I guess the spammers with my spamcop address are either smarter (as in sending spam to a spamcop address) or newer and not on the main blacklists; or something.

Anyway, it seems I was asking the wrong question. When I think of the right one I'll be back.

Thanks

First of all, yet another reference to the SpamCop FAQ here. There are a number of entries dealing with Filters, Whitelisting, Blacklisting ....

From your last post, one issue seems to probably be your whitelisting of your spamcop address.

Proof of this would normally be seen within the headers of the e-mail at issue .... what you are suggesting would be seen by an X-Blocked: line but also an X-Whitelisted: line within the same header. At this point, only you can tell ....

I don't know about your other account, but I regularly receive from one to several spam emails that slip past the SpamCop filters each day. Now to be fair 1)that has to be compared with the number of spam that go directly to my HeldMail (order of magnitude more) and 2)the frequency of my SpamCop login (daily).

I'm guessing that the SpamCop filters are built to "learn" about spam. I'm guessing that when each of us designates an email as spam, the SpamCop filters begin to filter these emails from other SpamCop users.

Thus, it makes much more sense to login to SpamCop frequently and to report those few spam emails that get through as spam.

I don't know about you, but I only have to think back to the day before I found SpamCop to remember how terrible my email life was.

I'm guessing that the SpamCop filters are built to "learn" about spam. I'm guessing that when each of us designates an email as spam, the SpamCop filters begin to filter these emails from other SpamCop users.

Thus, it makes much more sense to login to SpamCop frequently and to report those few spam emails that get through as spam.

I believe the last official explanation of the SpamAssassin filters was that no learning was enabled. The only "learning" would be that reporting to SpamCop can lead to a spamcop listing.

Archived