"Local" support

Wazoo

snippet of a converation on a support Forum elsewhere .... due to some severe connectivity issues since last Friday, am playing catch-up in several places ....

(for my reference .... http://www.ipsbeyond.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25019 )

Posted by: Troy Spiral Jul 9 2007, 04:18 AM

(Venom [at] Jul 9 2007, 04:29 AM)

I dont think the boards should be integrated IPSBeyond was done so Customers have a place to go for peer to peer support without the hassle of having a ton of people who dont own a license asking a million questions on how to make their 2.0 board look and act like 2.3 etc, this place is supposed to be for cutomers only and alternate contacts.

The IPS board is a company board for users who are looking to purchase the software and want to see what its all about and ask pre-sales questions TBH i dont think alot of customers want to see 1,000 posts on IPSB asking "Can Ipb do this, or that and make me coffee in the morning?" or my fav, "Why does IPB cost more than VB and convince me why i should buy Ipb over Vb".

I like this setup alot better than when everyone was all on the same board.

Just my 2 cents

They could have just made the "user only" version of the board be part of the regular IPS site. That way there would be more direct interaction between the customers, and the DEVs.

Posted by: Timmy Jul 9 2007, 08:26 AM

There was a customers only forum two years ago, but they ditched it in favor of IPSB.

Posted by: Troy Spiral Jul 13 2007, 06:02 PM

(Timmy [at] Jul 9 2007, 09:26 AM)

There was a customers only forum two years ago, but they ditched it in favor of IPSB.

Yeah thats what i was bitching about hehe. I been around a long time in "IPB time" , yet have remained an IPB "tech" dumbass somehow.

Actually i know how... 1. Memory is bad 2. I tend to be a "promoter" more than a "tech" i keep trying to find somone that lives around here locally to do the "tech" part of my board, but the people that offer i cant really trust or be sure they wont do a half-ass job. grr

Posted by: Timmy Jul 13 2007, 08:12 PM

It helps if you do a little background research on the person. I've been approached my many individuals to do some custom work on their forums and they've always stated they've done research on me (like accounting past posts for helpful information and searching other websites for my name and assuring I am solidified in the IP.Board community).

I wouldn't trust people who tend to heavily promote their services. But maybe that's a matter of personal opinion - whenever I need help, I look for a person who is well known in the community for being a helpful person who doesn't advertise in their signatures or anything like that.

Posted by: Wazoo Jul 17 2007, 07:53 PM

(Troy Spiral [at] Jul 13 2007, 06:02 PM)

i keep trying to find somone that lives around here locally to do the "tech" part of my board, but the people that offer i cant really trust or be sure they wont do a half-ass job. grr

Laughing a bit at the "local" part of that remark. I'm sitting in Iowa, the Forum I admin sits on a server in Georgia ... I handle web-sites for other folks, and those servers are scattered around the world. In general, "the Interent" makes most folks "local" <g>

Laughing a bit at the "local" part of that remark. I'm sitting in Iowa, the Forum I admin sits on a server in Georgia ... I handle web-sites for other folks, and those servers are scattered around the world. In general, "the Interent" makes most folks "local" <g>

I was just thinking the same thing, but contrasting the positive side with the negative side. It is neat, even with my limited experience, to meet new people via the Internet. OTOH, if one makes a bad judgment, there is no recourse (spammers wouldn't last long if they were physically local <g>).

It takes longer to 'size' up someone on the Internet so that one doesn't misjudge, I think. And, I am not sure that technically non-fluent people would ever feel really confident because they can't do trace routes, etc. to confirm their judgments - a couple of my new acquaintances did just that with me (I never knew that there was a real estate agent in NC with my name!).

I did trust Wazoo to help me out! But then I 'knew' him for years on the ng before the forum.

I wonder if there any sociologists (or psychologists) studying internet communities and interaction?

Miss Betsy

Archived