SpamCop Maintenance

Date/Time of Maintenance: Thursday, July 19th, 2007, 8:00pm PDT -0700

For those unfamiliar with the "PDT-0700" notation, that means that the PDT time zone is 7 hours behind UTC/GMT.

$ env TZ=UTC date; env TZ=PST8PDT date
Thu Jul 19 12:06:47 UTC 2007
Thu Jul 19 05:06:47 PDT 2007

Thanks, but there is no need. I can read English.

And the issue is .... not everyone uses the same definition of "English" .... as noted in another recent Topic, the Internet makes most folks 'local' .... the previous poster that wanted to help out by trying to 'explain' the non-standard timezone marker posted from a place known as ".nl" ... in which the acronym "PDT" has no direct/daily reference .... thus the apparent compunction to 'help' others in making sense out of this out-of-the-ordinary timezone reference.

trying to 'explain' the non-standard timezone marker

I understand what you're saying.

Not everybody recognizes that the format Ellen used is the one used by mail servers all over the world. We see it and use it all day every day, as do the sever administrators we correspond with on a routine basis.

I'm confidant that, with some study, you will be able to understand it, too.

- Don -

Not everybody recognizes that the format Ellen used is the one used by mail servers all over the world. We see it and use it all day every day, as do the sever administrators we correspond with on a routine basis.

I'm confidant that, with some study, you will be able to understand it, too.

????? Excuse the hell out of me .... I happen to have actually been around the block a few times. I just looked at a whole passle of e-mails to insure that the world had not flipped while I wasn't looking. What I see is that there are (still) generically two 'standard' formats expressing PDT as the timezone ...

Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:16:54 -0700 (PDT)

Thu, 17 May 2007 17:24:12 -0700

Neither one is as 'your' suggested "standard" or Ellsn's postings .....

Surely even you can see the difference ....

I have way too many others things needing my attention than this kind of silly crap.

Thanks, but there is no need. I can read English.

- Don -

Don, what gave you the impression any of the explaination was meant for you?

Many SpamCop users do NOT speak or read English as their primary language. And new users on other continents probably have no idea what PDT means. Your initial post was very helpful and appreciated, but your replies were not.

The goal of the forum is to make the information about SpamCop availiable and understandable to the greatest number of people posible, from many different cultures, with countless different languages as their primary language. As such, it is common to expand or re-expain even apparent simple statements, as what is clear and simple to me or you, may be totally confusing to someone else.

PS Thanks Adriaan for your helpful clarification. It is too easy for those in the USA to forget about the rest of the world.

Archived