No source IP address found, cannot proceed

I get a large number of "No source IP address found, cannot proceed" when reporting. My hunch is that there's something wrong with my mailhost setting, but where to start? Which of my mailhost settings is likely to be wrong?

The only clue is my suspicion that all of these messages have gone through a secondary MX before reaching my server, though that is only a hunch.

-Nigel

When asking a question like this, the answer depends a lot on how you are submitting spam - the email program (like OE), the method (via email, via the spamcop email service, or web form), and what the email is (a Tracking URL for an unsuccessful submission).

When you say 'a lot' that implies that some are successfully parsed. Is that true? If not, it can be the way you are submitting via email. 'Forward' and 'Forward as attachment' are two different things. There are instructions in the FAQ here in the forum on how to forward as attachment for various email programs.

Miss Betsy

bandsman.co.uk' post='57920' date='Jul 22 2007, 05:15 AM']

The only clue is my suspicion that all of these messages have gone through a secondary MX before reaching my server, though that is only a hunch.

Is that second MX listed on your Mailhost configuration? If not, that is indeed the problem. You should resubmit the probe and make sure one of them (at least) goes through that secondary MX.

Submission to spamcop takes two stages. The first stage is via email, the second clicking a button at the "Unreported spam Saved: Report Now" link you get after loging in.

"A lot" means nearly all emails received via the secondary MX at my ISP rather than sent directly to my server. Those sent directly to my primary server are, by and large, correctly handled.

Is that second MX listed on your Mailhost configuration? If not, that is indeed the problem. You should resubmit the probe and make sure one of them (at least) goes through that secondary MX.

Yes, it is.

bandsman.co.uk' post='57965' date='Jul 23 2007, 09:39 AM']

Submission to spamcop takes two stages. The first stage is via email, the second clicking a button at the "Unreported spam Saved: Report Now" link you get after loging in.

"A lot" means nearly all emails received via the secondary MX at my ISP rather than sent directly to my server. Those sent directly to my primary server are, by and large, correctly handled.

Yes, it is.

We (here in the forums) may be able to help more if you would provide a TrackingURL for the specific problem you are seeing. If you are uncomfortable providing that data here, provide it to the deputies at deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net and include MAILHOST in the subject (per the instructions pinned at the top of the Mailhost forum, where this message will be moved shortly, as it does indeed appear likely to be a Mailhost issue).

We (here in the forums) may be able to help more if you would provide a TrackingURL for the specific problem you are seeing. If you are uncomfortable providing that data here, provide it to the deputies at deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net and include MAILHOST in the subject (per the instructions pinned at the top of the Mailhost forum, where this message will be moved shortly, as it does indeed appear likely to be a Mailhost issue).

Here's a couple of examples from your "past reports" web page. As you can see, you don't give the tracking URL there.

Submitted: Mon 23 Jul 2007 17:03:18 GMT +0100:

Royal Bank of Scotland Plc: Please Update Your Online Banking Service Details

No reports filed

Submitted: Mon 23 Jul 2007 17:03:14 GMT +0100:

Customer Service: Your E-Banking In Royal Bank of Scotland Plc

No reports filed

Submitted: Mon 23 Jul 2007 17:03:04 GMT +0100:

Royal Bank of Scotland UK - Official Message

No reports filed

bandsman.co.uk' post='57976' date='Jul 24 2007, 03:43 AM']Here's a couple of examples from your "past reports" web page. As you can see, you don't give the tracking URL there.

One more try .. the page you reference is not "my" page .. it is not "our" page ....

This is the support Forum, hosted on a server in Georgia, U.S. .... steffed primarily by volunteers.

The pages you reference are hosted on IronPort servers in California, U.S. .. owned, maintained, and access controlled by/to IronPort/SpamCOp.net paid staff ....

On the other hand, you are the one receiving the spam.

There are a number of ways to 'submit' your spam to the parser. Suggestion is to take your next 'problem' spam and submit it via the web-page paste-it-into-the-box ... see what happens .. grab the Tracking URL from that result page ....

Have you looked at the FAQ, the Wiki, anything here besides your posted Topic yet?

bandsman.co.uk' post='57976' date='Jul 24 2007, 04:43 AM']

As you can see, you don't give the tracking URL there.

As Wazoo stated, I don't provide anything here but attempts to help people. I am not officially affiliated with SpamCop in any way.

The easiest way to get the TrackingURL is during the second stage you describe. (Hint: If a specific link is not provided or seen, it will be the page you are on at the time, copy the URL).

Here's a couple of examples from your "past reports" web page. As you can see, you don't give the tracking URL there.

<snip>

...Is FAQ Entry (see link near top left of page labeled "SpamCop FAQ") "Getting a Tracking URL from a Report ID" of any help in translating from report ids (which appear on the "past reports" page) to a tracking URL?

Archived