My Mailhost Configuration setup could be too complex

I am delaying doing my Mailhost Configuration because my setup is complex;

I not only have multiple accounts I report on (using only one SpamCop username for all), but a number of these accounts each have multiple forwarding addresses. Does the Mailhost Configuration allow for all this detail?

...Does the Mailhost Configuration allow for all this detail?
Generally speaking the configuration resolves most circumstances - work through the instructions and configure, if your probes all return and a test parse following completion (paste-in or email for a "full" report as distinct from "quick") looks okay you are up and running. In other words, try it and see. There are things that occasionally go wrong but the deputies/admin can usually sort such stuff out once they see what has been attempted and what has happened.

Try it and come back with any problems (or, hopefully, to confirm it is okay).

Thanks gents! Confirmed as OK.

I found the initial instructions confusing, but it all made sense when I saw it in action after a few entries.

From what I now understand, it's not so much the complexity of the accounts' interaction, but more a matter of how many actual Mailhosts are involved and in what order.

:)

From what I now understand, it's not so much the complexity of the accounts' interaction, but more a matter of how many actual Mailhosts are involved and in what order.

And the "trust" that the e-mail servers have been correctly configured by their Admins ... If you hadn't caught any of those warnings, this is one of those things to always be aware of ..... any one of those Admins may make a change one day that will 'break' your existing MailHost Configuration ....

And the "trust" that the e-mail servers have been correctly configured by their Admins ... If you hadn't caught any of those warnings, this is one of those things to always be aware of ..... any one of those Admins may make a change one day that will 'break' your existing MailHost Configuration ....

Any tips (or posts to look at) on how to monitor and correct such changes?

Any tips (or posts to look at) on how to monitor and correct such changes?

Based on your post in the Reporting Help section, you have already figured this out ...????

Easy answer, learn to read headers, recognize your upstream, and if 'your' ISP/upstream is targeted to receive a report, make sure that the spam did in fact 'come from' your ISP.

Hard answer .. learn to read and understand e-mail headers ....

Bottom line: "you" are responsible for which reports go out and where they go ..... If there's any doubt, use the "Cancel" button, provide the Tracking URL, and ask for some specific help.

"Correcting" things usually/generally requires yet another iteration of the set-up process to bring in the 'new' data. Once again, this database is "shared" so it may be that someone else at the same ISP might beat you to it .... or 'your' updates 'fix' things for other users .....

...With this in mind, I for one will not be using 'Quick' reporting.
I think you are wise in starting that way, given the self-described complexity of your routing and the attendant risks you now see. There are mixed feelings about quick reporting within the reporting group. Many (not caring about spamvertized websites) use it without (apparent) problems once they have set up their mailhosts (I think that set of steps is still a pre-requisite). At least one SC staff member seems to encourage quick reporting even for novices or at least he down-plays the potential for problems - but maybe not in your particular case, JIC you do some browsing and come to some hasty conclusions (the thing to avoid, as ever in such venues as these, is making broad assumptions based on limited observation and such inadequate description as will often be found).

Do try "standard" reporting for a while and reassess your preferences when you have more parser performance results to look at and are better able to consider the pros and cons. As Wazoo has said (and others too, elsewhere and at other times), your actual hosting is subject to change without notice and with possible consequences with which you are unlikely yet to be able to cope. I'm not sure how anyone copes adequately, to be frank, but that perhaps is a more conservative outlook than is generally held. It's all about what you are comfortable with, given the responsibilities you have accepted and some notion of 'standards' in meeting them. Your comfort and confidence levels will change.

Archived