Possible WebMail FAQ

Wazoo

Just started pulling together questions and answers, so for sure format, sequence, etc., will need to be spruced up. Also noting that I'm doing this in the blind, as I don't use the e-mail side of the house myself. So looking for other issues, comments, etc. to flush this out for possible future use.

For starters, the present FAQ can be found at SpamCop Mail Service

I can't log in to webmail.
The proper Addresses are via http and https at webmail.spamcop.net (webmail.cesmail.net [216.154.195.51]). (JeffG)

I can't log in to held mail.
The proper Address is via http at mailsc.spamcop.net [iP Addresses vary depending on which Akamai servers you use]. (JeffG)

I can't log in using IMAP.
The proper Address is via IMAP at imap.spamcop.net (mail.cesmail.net [216.154.195.50]). (JeffG)

I've been having problems with my login to the http://webmail.spamcop.net/ location.  For some reason, it takes about 3 or 4 times for me to be allowed in even though I *know* I'm typing in all the right stuff (ie: login email and password).  I've been having problems emptying my held mail folder too.

1. Please try to delete and purge mail you don't need from your SpamCop Email System mailbox using IMAP. Please see at Jeff G.'s Guide to SpamCop Quick Reporting for more details on such IMAP access. (JeffG)

2. The problem with logging in is that you have 37,000 messages in your trash folder. Here's what happens. Every time you login, the IMAP server goes through your trash and deletes everything older than 20 days. However, with that many messages in your trash, it takes a while to go through all of them and the IMAP server doesn't let anything else happen in the meantime. The webmail system thinks that the login failed, when it's really just taking a long time.

There are several things you can do in webmail to help.

In the webmail options, you can turn off moving deleted messages to the trash. When you delete them, they're just gone.

You can also tell webmail to delete messages from the trash more than, say, 3 days old. That will keep it more manageable.

You can try to remember to empty the trash yourself each time you're done with webmail. There's an icon for that. (JeffT)

Looks like I am having the same problem, though my issue seems to be that there are about 64,000+ spams in my "Held Mail" folder. Since I can't find any way to successfully empty this folder, and can't change the length of time it holds spams, I can't log in to clear it out.

Held Mail messages go away after 14 days and a login. If you can't delete them from Webmail, your only options are IMAP and JT's intervention. You can ask JT to intervene by emailing him at "support at spamcop.net". (JeffG)

my held mailbox is getting bigger and bigger.  I cannot 'delete' the held mail after I report.  I just set up this new account.

Known Bug: No Trash Folder By Default

I set a few filters, but I noticed that just one filter at a time is executed when I login to webmail.

I think it's another case of that "Stop Processing" switch. I'm betting that if that is taken off, everything will work. I ran into this myself when first setting filters up. I thought it was like lots of filters, where the switch meant to not try to apply any more filters to the current message, but what it really seems to mean is to not apply any more filters. (jev)

Is it possible to import my address book to my whitelist.
No, sorry. You can, however, "Release and Whitelist" a bunch of messages in one shot, as long as they are in the same Folder. (JeffG)

there doesn't seem to be a Sent Folder. The preferences refer to a 'Sent' folder but no folder shows on my folder list. I've tried to create one but the system won't allow me to do so. When you compose mail a check box appears asking if you want to save a copy but even when you choose this no copy appears to be saved.

Under Options, Personal Information, Edit Identities, <your ID> there is a setting at the bottom dealing with whether to Save sent mail automatically (check box default on/off) and a pulldown for the folder to use. The folder will be created automatically when needed. (StevenUnderwood)

Other than adding a bit more attribution to the top three and incorporating the existing Pinned entries from the SpamCop Email Forum, it looks fine.

Got your attributes covered <g> ... but for instance, although there's a lot of various postings on Filtering, I wasn't able to get a good feel on putting together questions/answers to make a one-stop procedural listing for setting them and (un)expected consequences. Shouldn't there ben inclusion for setting them up here, or is that actually a big enough item to need its own listing?

In trying to chase down items for entry here, I can only get to the "first, let's sign in" screen in following the existing FAQ links to help with the SpamCop E-Mail Service. So I've no idea how much of the set-up or troubleshooting stuff actually already exists on that side of JT's servers. But, based on all the questions asked, have to make the assumption that there's a bit left unsaid there also.

• 3 months later...
(actually, I think it's Wazoo quoting JT) In the webmail options, you can turn off moving deleted messages to the trash.

Yes, you can, but...

When you delete them, they're just gone.

Not quite. If you use this option, they turn into visible deleted items that will actually persist in the current mail folder. You can then either "hide" or "purge" them, but until you purge them, they will still be in the folder, even if you log out and back in. For example, if I log into webmail, delete an item from my Inbox and then POP my mail, the deleted item gets delivered in the POP session. So getting rid of items becomes a two-step process (delete, then purge) if you turn off the moving of deleted messages to the trash.

You can try to remember to empty the trash yourself each time you're done with webmail. There's an icon for that.

If you "turn off moving deleted messages to the trash" (as described above), the "Empty Trash" icon no longer appears in the icon bar at the top of the screen, even if there are items in the Trash, and even if you have a checkmark in the box for "Display the 'Empty Trash' link in the menubar?" in your "Deleting and Moving Messages" Options. That's not good, so instead of using the option not to move deleted items to the Trash, it's probably a better idea to keep the default behavior of letting them go to the Trash and then to reduce the amount of days that items stay in the Trash.

Under Maintenance Operations, I'd recommend selecting "Perform maintenance operations on login?" and "Purge old message in the Trash folder?" and a low value (perhaps 3) for "Purge messages in Trash folder older than this amount of days."

Held Mail messages go away after 14 days and a login.

Nope. They seem to stay in Held Mail forever, which I don't think is a very good idea. I hope this gets fixed soon.

DT

two FAQ questions you could add:

1. Why not use https://webmail.spamcop.net when logging into your webmail?

There's no reason to not use the secure access to your webmail. In fact it's recommended.

(if it's really not recommended, I can't image why that is)

(actually this second one is an addition, and may have been discussed in the thread, but I didn't bother to read the whole thing just yet)

2. Why does it take so long to log in?

You may have filters set to run when you log in. You might consider setting them to only run when you click the funnel icon.

Isn't #1 already addressed in the "Welcome to the SpamCop E-Mail system" e-mail?

Perhaps #2 might fit nto http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=927 somehow, but I think I'd like a bit of a different write-up, not sure right now how to segue from the massive issue caused by too much content within folders to your suggestion that might yet be connected to folder content ... and does your suggestion bypass the too-much content problem during the login process?

Isn't #1 already addressed in the "Welcome to the SpamCop E-Mail system" e-mail?

Where would one find a copy of it?

If you are refering to the email that was sent at time of sign up, then a copy of it should be posted in FAQ.

Wazoo, it sure sounds like fate has been giving you a hard time lately. May the tide turn for you quickly before you end up drowning.

I'm at a loss there, having only been a free-reporter for all these years. Consider this a request for some one that still has their Welcome letter to send PM a copy of it, mung it a bit, as I don't need the account details ... it just seems that the secure logon page wouldn't be an item forgotten about, but ....????

If you are refering to the email that was sent at time of sign up, then a copy of it should be posted in FAQ.

Actually, I'm trying to put together a "New User, Baby-steps" thing as we speak, but finding that trying to incorporate links to existing FAQs is actually making it more confusing, as the way the FAQs are written, I keep running into that circular loop issue ... one FAQ points to another, which points back to the first .. strange

Wazoo, it sure sounds like fate has been giving you a hard time lately.  May the tide turn for you quickly before you end up drowning.

In reality, I must admit that actually, there's not that much "new" stuff .. just more of the same for me .. it's just that I'm putting a few of these things out, getting a bit tired of so many complaints about the lack of support, why actions and issues aren't handled "right now" ... I guess just trying to indicate that my life doesn't revolve around SpamCop, and some of these folks shouldn't get quite so worked up about some things <g> .... that I'm retired and thus seen as having all that free time, knowledge, and tools to handle other people's problems (did I forget cheap too? <g>) probably just exposes me to more "opportunities" than most ...???

14694[/snapback]

Well, I do not have a copy of the email to confirm or deny that information is there. It is unusual as well, because I don't throw anything away. I have some messages dating back to 1996. I assume I received one, but do not remeber one specifically. I do have my pre-purchase question to Jeff and my paypal receipt for the purchase.

I rarely delete messages relating to subscriptions, online orders, etc., and although I have my "Corporate Email Services Sales Receipt" confirming my purchase, I don't seem to have any other "welcome" message. I signed up for my SC email accounts in January 2004.

dt

OK, guess we can add yet another one of those things to list of surprising things that should not be this way. A bad assumption on my part that there'd be a Welcome letter with links and data .. wierd .. apologies for getting off-track once again. now, wondering just where the HTTPS item should go, never mind where it'd be seen ..??

This is a copy of the email I received after signing up for email service with SpamCop, edited for security reasons.

The following order was placed for My Name:

2CheckOut.com Order Number: xxxxx - xxxxxxxx

Corporate Email Services Order Number: xxxxxx

Qty: 1 Product Id: SCEmail SpamCop Email Service - 1 Year ($31.00 USD)

Total: $31.00 USD

The order was billed to:

My Name

My email address (message sent to)

My Phone Number

My Street Address

My City, State, Zip

United States

Charges for the transaction will appear on your credit card or bank statement under the name 2CO.COM

Questions regarding your order should be directed to:

Corporate Email Services

mail.spamcop.net

service[at]cesmail.net

Any problems, questions or comments pertaining to your order can be submitted directly to Corporate Email Services and 2Checkout Inc (2CO.COM) by clicking here.

I'd already agreed based on those other answers that this is a bit of an interesting surprise to me (but noting that this seems to be a seemingly standard receipt for signing up for JT's CES-mail, just using the SpamCop 'product ID' as compared to an actual corporate purchase of services.) I can understand that the financial side of things would generate its own e-mail, but the lack of the generally standard "here's your account data, here's the basic URL set" .. maybe just overlooked based on most incoming "clients" at the time were existing SpamCOp users converting over from Report-only accounts .... even today, the general process would be that one would try the free-account first before jumping in with money (though have noted that there seems to be a lot of send money first, then complain about the way things work traffic going on) ... OK, note to JT on this detail.

OK, guess we can add yet another one of those things to list of surprising things that should not be this way.  A bad assumption on my part that there'd be a Welcome letter with links and data .. wierd .. apologies for getting off-track once again.  now, wondering just where the HTTPS item should go, never mind where it'd be seen ..??

14706[/snapback]

...Is SpamCop Email Setup relevant as a proxy for the kind of communication you're trying to find? FYI, I found this by clicking the link labeled "$30/year: filtered POP/IMAP/web mail and reporting. " on http://www.spamcop.net/, then clicking the link labeled "Sign up for SpamCop Email" on the "SpamCop Email System for Individuals" page.

I can't answer, as I've never gotten past that page, not having an e-mail account to login to.

14753[/snapback]

...OIC. Well, I just offered it as something with roughly the content I would expect, at least in part, from:
<snip> a Welcome letter with links and data <snip>

14706[/snapback]

...FWIW: as to the original question that started this sub-thread:

There's no reason to not use the secure access to your webmail.  In fact it's recommended.

(if it's really not recommended, I can't image why that is)

(actually this second one is an addition, and may have been discussed in the thread, but I didn't bother to read the whole thing just yet)

<snip>

14446[/snapback]

it seems to be addressed in SpamCop FAQ: Is Webmail available in a secure version? and Help forum thread Encrypted Access to the SpamCop Reporting System?.

I can't answer, as I've never gotten past that page, not having an e-mail account to login to.

14753[/snapback]

Actually you can get past that page very easily. An email account is NOT required at this point to proceed.

The asumption is that one is actually trying to set up an account and if you can't log in, what is the purpose of going any further.

The links simply open up other text files (web pages).

Take a look at http://mail.spamcop.net/setup/setup_step2.php you will note that there is no reference to IMAP. I think that it should be added as a 3rd option.

Thanks for that tip .. yep, I always backed out of the Login panel .. on the other hand, Ouch! .... Copyright 2002 and Final Tips isn't finished .. Unfortunately, this is something I don't have access to .. actually wondering if this is on a shared server or strictly on JT's side of the house .... as stated elswhere, RW doesn't do the e-mail, and the user that did write up most of the e-mail FAQ hasn't been seen in ages ... here's one of those that I guess I can/should move this existing stuff over here, then add in the IMAP stuff from here as the third option ..ignoring that the jump from a spamcop.net web page to one of these Forum pages might leave one wondering if one was at the same place <g> ...

OK, technically, the data in zachariah's #1 item is addressed in the existing FAQ, under the entry "FAQ about WebMail" ... in trying to keep this FAQ from growing too big, I'd rather not go in and add another sub-item as it does actually exist already ...

#2 I'm still not sure about ... as the FAQ line I added about "login slowness" points to an existing Topic/discussion .. maybe add a note in the Topic? though thinking that the "funnel" was discussed within that item????

Changed the pointer for Setup to go directly to those pages (was going to an entry on www.spamcop.net that then pointed to the mail.spamcop.net) then moved JeffG's OE and IMAP directly underneath that line .... work for you?

There's no reason to not use the secure access to your webmail.  In fact it's recommended.

Thanks for the post. I was unaware that https was an option.

It shows that I still have a lot more reading (understanding) to do

And thanks to Wazoo for letting me know where it is found

SpamCop Mail Service

FAQ about WebMail

Is Webmail available in a secure version?

Yes. Simply log in to https://webmail.spamcop.net/

Don't forget though - All mail is transmitted insecurely. The SMTP protocol that is used to transport all internet mail is a non-secure protocol. Establishing a secure connection to webmail only ensures that the connection between you and webmail.spamcop.net is encrypted. Everything on the other side of webmail.spamcop.net is still transmitted in cleartext.

• 1 year later...

Working on FAQ data, once again trying to merge, correct, synthisize new, whatever, just got an e-mail from JT that answers one of my last questions. However, data is ona server I can't touch, he doesn't have the time available at present, so one of the otifiginal items won't be immediately fixed. Now the wierd thing is, it was my thought that I was under the belief that I started on this one item based on a query from another SpamCop user, so thought I'd post the answer into that Topic. Put the 'magic' word into the Forum Search tool and thois is the only Topic that shopw up that looks anywhere near pertinent, yet .. the question I thought I was looking to get answered isn't in here ... so now, maybe it's in a PM, maybe I'm imagining that it xisted and the issue was only that I saw that the 'official' FAQ didn't match when describing the same data (thus making me to have to guess at how to handle the 'new' versions in the other venues ...

Bottom line, here's the answer;

Right, at the present time, 2checkout isn't an option for payment. Only Paypal.

My question was the problem where http://mail.spamcop.net/pricing.php didn't match the write-up at http://www.spamcop.net/ces/pricing.shtml .....

Unfortunately, not answered was this part of the same e-mail;

>> Now, we get complicated .... coming from the Help

>> on www.spamcop.net .. one ends up looking at

>> http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/323.html

>> IronPort/SpamCop version of a page .....

>>

>> Content almost matches the data seen at

>> http://mail.spamcop.net/

>>

>> However, this second page (2001 copyright) has the

>> first link (missing on the first mentioned page)

>> going to http://mail.spamcop.net/members.php which

>> then points folks to the spamcop.mail newsgroup for

>> data ... in which coincidentally I just had another

>> bit of a flame for pointing someone to the Forum

>> for answers to a FAQ .... (no copyright at all

>> on this page)

Archived