Avoiding LOGIN page?

Is there anyway to stop having to type my email address and password every time I want to access my spamcop email?  Or some way to get 'autocomplete' to work on the login page?

Some browsers have the ability to "remember" your passwords for you (Look into the "Preferences" menu -- or howsoever your browser calls it).

If you select that option in a browser which has it, and a user-name-and-password input page comes up, then, if you already have at least once filled in that page manually, the browser will autocomplete them (showing the username openly but replacing the password with asterisks). You have to click the Submit button yourself.

Of course, since it is a potential security breach, that kind of option should be used only on computers used by you alone, or (maybe preferably) not used at all. And if you become aware that your password may have been compromised, you should (as a minimum) immediately change it, and maybe also consider not having the browser "remember" it again.

Remember also that if (for instance) your computer gets stolen, you will have to login with explicit username and password from some other location. To do that you will have to remember the password "in your own head". Now if your password is -- let's say -- "abq5wz8k", maybe you can remember it, but you will certainly remember it better by using it.

(Just my 0.02 €)

Is there anyway to stop having to type my email address and password every time I want to access my spamcop email?  Or some way to get 'autocomplete' to work on the login page?

Some browsers have the ability to "remember" your passwords for you

Not IE in this case.

However, as petzl is fond of writing:

I would suggest you use password software for bettter security for logging in

http://www.password-depot.com/download.htm

This is basically freeware for 20 passwords/URLs

It also works flawlessly from a USB drive (good for shared computers)

Lockable by two completly different strong encryption methods (Blowfish AND Rjindael)

You then disable your personal computer to remember passwords and login (always uncheck this option on shared computers)

[...]

Not IE in this case.

Well, NS7 has it (I have tested it on a few sites, but not SC mail). I would expect that Mozilla (which I don't have) would have it too. And then again, I don't know them all...

However, as petzl is fond of writing:
I would suggest you use password software for bettter security for logging in

http://www.password-depot.com/download.htm

This is basically freeware for 20 passwords/URLs

It also works flawlessly from a USB drive (good for shared computers)

Lockable by two completly different strong encryption methods (Blowfish AND Rjindael)

You then disable your personal computer to remember passwords and login (always uncheck this option on shared computers)

Of course. (And I mentioned it.)

Not IE in this case.

Per the write-up at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;834489 there are some Registry modifications that can be made. Specifically, disabling the "new default behavior for handling user information in HTTP or HTTPS URLs" .. though noting that this document also addresses the suggested chnages that webmasters should be making, so even this Registry change may not help in all cases.

Not IE in this case.

When I was using IE, it remembered both of my Spamcop webmail passwords just fine. Now, I'm using Mozilla and it also remembers them both.

However, once IE has been told not to remember passwords for a given site, it will never ask again. I think the only way out of this is some kind of registry hack - but that's just a wild-ass guess.

How come that there are still people using IE ?!

Never tried out Mozilla and/or Netscape ?

(I can't imagine that it's because you insist on automatically reporting to Microsoft all you do on your computer? :ph34r:

Or you still hope to discover a flight simulator or racing game or flipper in IE, as you know forExcel and MSWord ? (see http://www.eeggs.com/items/8240.html and related B)) -

give up, all you can hope for is some funny text in IE...)

How come that there are still people using IE ?!

<snip>

...My employer requires it for intranet. All internal application developers thereby know for what platform to code. We originally standardized on Netscape but at the time it cost $ and IE was (and still is) free if you have Windows (again, a standard imposed by my employer). I am not aware of any other browser having been considered.

• 3 weeks later...

Firefox (free stand-alone browser)

and

Mozilla (free application suite including email client, web page composer, and irc chat client)

are both excellent at doing what you want.

Opera (ad-ware or pay browser with email client)

also does what you want.

I recommend any of these over Internet Explorer, not just for functionality, but also for security of the PC you're using and because they have more complete support for the HTML specification.

• 2 years later...

Not IE in this case.

When I was using IE, it remembered both of my Spamcop webmail passwords just fine. Now, I'm using Mozilla and it also remembers them both.

However, once IE has been told not to remember passwords for a given site, it will never ask again. I think the only way out of this is some kind of registry hack - but that's just a wild-ass guess.

I still have never resolved this issue, I hate having to enter all that data so I seldom log in. If it is the case that IE is blocking remembering info just for this one page, does anyone know how to undo that block?

I still have never resolved this issue, I hate having to enter all that data so I seldom log in. If it is the case that IE is blocking remembering info just for this one page, does anyone know how to undo that block?

Two years ago I could have pointed you to the Registry hack I previously mentioned ... today ...???? There's been a lot of changes .... of course, you don't mention the version of IE in use, which may or may not help the search. That this Topic hasn't been touched in so long kind of says something ...????

Have you at least tried FireFox? Thunderbird? IMAP connection?

...Google is your friend! Try the following as parameters:

"internet explorer" AND remember AND (password OR passwords)

I didn't look at all the hits, but the thread entitled How to make Internet Explorer 5 remember my passwords again? looked promising.

Archived