Quick-Reporting questions

Wazoo

Brought over from a Wiki Comment ...

I have a couple of questions/answers I'd add, except I don't know the answers.

1) Do notifications get sent to ISPs with quick reporting? (it only says that the source of the email is reported to the SCBL).

2) What happens to emails that are misdirected bounces in quick reporting?

-- FuhrmanatoR (2007-08-12 11:14:20)

1) Do notifications get sent to ISPs with quick reporting? (it only says that the source of the email is reported to the SCBL).

A Quick-submitted spam os parsed, a report is generated that feeds the SpamCopDNSBL and is sent to the identified owner of the source IP Address of the spam.

Not totally sure of the question, but initial guess to the answer would be 'nothing' ..... the 'included e-mail' (if it even exists) is just "more text in the body" and as above, isn't even parsed under Quick-Reporting.

The 'original / official' SpamCOp FAQ under the Help button/link at www.spamcop.net includes no data on Quick-Reporting.

The 'single-page-access-expanded' version of the SpamCop FAQ entry as found 'here' as What is Quick-Reporting? seems to be OK ....

The Wiki page at What is Quick Reporting? has been updated to clarify the Report targets/output.

PM sent to advise of this Topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Note: I'm not sure why, but when I clicked "Reply" on this forum entry, I only get quotes of the latest answers. The reply code seems to be b0rken on the forum when there are multiple levels of quotes. This is one reason I find forums less useful than a newsgroup (because the PHP code is often very buggy and full of security holes... plus I hate BBCode... but I digress...)

Not totally sure of the question, but initial guess to the answer would be 'nothing' ..... the 'included e-mail' (if it even exists) is just "more text in the body" and as above, isn't even parsed under Quick-Reporting.

I meant to ask, "What happens when I quick-report a misdirected bounce?" -- I assume now after having read a few more things that the originator of the misdirected bounce get's dinged as having sent a spam.

I ask the question because I have received tons of misdirected bounces coming from lots of mail servers. But I have never seen a mail server that sent it to me show up on the block list - I suspect that bounces misdirected to spam-traps get treated differently than those reported by average joes?

It could just be that it's relatively rare and there aren't enough dings to get the originator listed.

Note: I'm not sure why, but when I clicked "Reply" on this forum entry, I only get quotes of the latest answers.

That is the way it should be, IMO. If someone needs more information, they go back to the referenced message (which is only a click away). People usually quote too much.

It could just be that it's relatively rare and there aren't enough dings to get the originator listed.

I think you have it quite right or they fix the issue when they get the SpamCop report. There have been administrators who have come into these forums having been listed by bounces.

If you don't want the quotes, there is an add/reply button at the bottom of the topic which simply adds another post to the topic. If you look at the topic in some of the other views (I forget what they are called), if you use the reply at the bottom of the post (next to edit, etc), the post is sub-threaded by the replies to that post. If you use the generic add/reply button at the bottom of the topic, it gets added to the bottom of the list for the first post, IIRC.

I discovered all this by accident so I don't have 'real' knowledge of the process. If I want to quote someone, I use the reply at the bottom of the post and take out what I am not answering. If I don't want to quote anyone, I use the reply at the bottom of the topic.

Miss Betsy

There are, and will probably continue to be, a lot of questions related to just what Quick Reporting actually does. The generalities have been fairly well documented, but the specifics are apparently kept as a trade secret.

The unknown:

1) Full reporting vs Quick reporting - do they each receive the same weight value when feeding the BL?

2) is the body scanned at all for the purpose of determining if the message should be deleted and not used to feed the BL or simply automatically accepted as a valid report. (we know that it is NOT scanned by the parser in terms of links)

3) does mole, munged, or un-munged settings have any impact on how the quick report is handled?

I doubt that we will ever see answers to these questions.

What can be said is that it is a stripped down version of full reporting that is only used to feed SpamCop BL and that quick reporting valid mail does create problems and must be avoided.

Note: I'm not sure why, but when I clicked "Reply" on this forum entry, I only get quotes of the latest answers. The reply code seems to be b0rken on the forum when there are multiple levels of quotes.

This forum is acting exactly as I have it configured. Quotes withi quotes within quotes, etc. is turned off.

The actual function of the various buttons used to make a reply are covered in the Forum FAQ and an entry or two in the How to use ... the Forum Forum section. I can tell you that the documentation posted here has been used in numerous other IPB Forums for their users ....

If the need is actually there, it can be done manually.

This is one reason I find forums less useful than a newsgroup (because the PHP code is often very buggy and full of security holes... plus I hate BBCode... but I digress...)

Believe me, this isn't your typical Forum

And for me, it's having to deal with HTML stripped and converted, BBCode stripped and converted, before even thinking about storing it away, then all of that getting re-parsed and handled again for display purposes .. and that's why a lot of that is also not configured to be available 'here' .....

I meant to ask, "What happens when I quick-report a misdirected bounce?" -- I assume now after having read a few more things that the originator of the misdirected bounce get's dinged as having sent a spam.

Specifically defined as "the source of the spam" submitted ....

I ask the question because I have received tons of misdirected bounces coming from lots of mail servers. But I have never seen a mail server that sent it to me show up on the block list - I suspect that bounces misdirected to spam-traps get treated differently than those reported by average joes?

Rare or not, it does boil down to the math involved with a SpamCopDNSBL listing/de-listing.

There are, and will probably continue to be, a lot of questions related to just what Quick Reporting actually does. The generalities have been fairly well documented, but the specifics are apparently kept as a trade secret.

The unknown:

1) Full reporting vs Quick reporting - do they each receive the same weight value when feeding the BL?

yes

2) is the body scanned at all for the purpose of determining if the message should be deleted and not used to feed the BL or simply automatically accepted as a valid report. (we know that it is NOT scanned by the parser in terms of links)

Using the associated facts mode of analysis .... recall that those spams submitted for 'regular reporting' that 'need' the added <no body> text added to get parsed don't 'need' this body content under Quick-Reporting .... ergo, the body isn't even looked at ....

3) does mole, munged, or un-munged settings have any impact on how the quick report is handled?

I doubt that we will ever see answers to these questions.

No difference in handling ... results are definitely different for Mole-Reporting .... actually the combination of Mole-Reporting and Quick-Reporting really doesn't make much sense, in that no Reports go out at all for Mole-Reporting .....

Archived