Options - After Emptying Trash

... the steps you used to "Empty Trash"
I just press the "Empty Trash" icon. Usually after processing held mail. Always before, no matter where I was, emptying the trash in this fashion returned me to the inbox. Not 'ny more! I just end up with a blank screen. (I almost always only empty trash in web mail just after processing held mail from within webmail.)

I just press the "Empty Trash" icon.

I looked at the WebMail screen during my first post. I had nothing in my Trash Folder, so was thinking that this was why I didn't see an "Empty Trash" icon. I deleted some garbage, so as to have something there. Logged in just now, and I still don't see an "Empty Trash" icon. (IE7 involved, and noting that Trevor mentioned that there are several browser display issues ..)

So, the quiclest way I can find to get ti an "Empty Trash" link is to actually fo into the Trash folder, a link shows up at the bottom right. I click on that, some activity, then the screen returns to the Trash folder display, though of course, with no e-mail showing.

Usually after processing held mail. Always before, no matter where I was, emptying the trash in this fashion returned me to the inbox. Not 'ny more! I just end up with a blank screen. (I almost always only empty trash in web mail just after processing held mail from within webmail.)

The WebMail application has been updated. So this action (and graphic) may have changed.

as above, I can't duplicate your experience .. no icon seen, and definitely no issue with a "blank screen"

Please see New Webmail System - FAQ / Upgrade Guide, Formerly "Webmail Beta migration guide" and provide all data involved ... browser (and version) would be one of the most critical items of interest.

When I log into Webmail the icon at the top of the screen from left to right read:

Inbox - Empty Trash - New Message - and so on

Wazoo, are you seeing something different?

Clicking on the Empty Trash Icon opens up a Microsoft dialog box "Are you sure you want to empty your trash folder?

Clicking on OK leaves an empty trash folder with the full set of icons at the top of the page.

Clicking on Inbox takes me back to my Inbox

I am using IE version 6.0.3790.3959

When I log into Webmail the icon at the top of the screen from left to right read:

Inbox - Empty Trash - New Message - and so on

Wazoo, are you seeing something different?

Options for Mail

Deleting and Moving Messages

Display the "Empty Trash" link in the menubar?

Clicking on the Empty Trash Icon opens up a Microsoft dialog box "Are you sure you want to empty your trash folder?

Clicking on OK leaves an empty trash folder with the full set of icons at the top of the page.

Clicking on Inbox takes me back to my Inbox

I am using IE version 6.0.3790.3959

This is matching my experience using IE7 on Windows Vista with all patches.

Wazoo, I'm not sure what issue dbiel is raising. I just want to know what option to set so that when I empty the trash I get returned to the inbox. As I tried to say before, I usually do this after pressing the held mail "icon" and then selecting the spam messages, then the link to "report as spam." Then I empty the trash.

I'd like to be returned to the inbox, not to the now-empty held mail page (not a "blank screen" as previously mis-stated).

I don't have any empty trash links at the bottom right and -UNFORTUNATELY- no longer have the "report as spam", etc., links at the bottom of the held mail page where they used to be.

Using Firefox. I only use IE when a site requires a browser which is not standards-compliant.

I'd like to be returned to the inbox, not to the now-empty held mail page (not a "blank screen" as previously mis-stated).

Are you sure you are not being returned to the now empty Trash folder that both dbiel and myself reported? I am seeing the same results using Firefox/2.0.0.6

There is no such option that I can ever recall seeing. Noramlly, I never empty my trash as webmail handles that automatically for me after 2 days (when things are not reportable any longer, in case there is a problem with parsing a message). The server also will automatically clear out any trash over a certain number of days old as well.

At last we see what is going on.

There was a problem before in the old version that apparently you liked, that took you back to the inbox after every operation rather than leaving you in the folder you started at. This seems to have been fixed in the new version and I doubt if there is anyway to "break" again.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a problem before in the old version that apparently you liked, that took you back to the inbox after every operation rather than leaving you in the folder you started at. This seems to have been fixed in the new version and I doubt if there is anyway to "break" again.

Actually this is not what is happening. No matter _what_ folder I am in when I empty the trash, I end up with a blank page after emptying. I get the normal stuff at the top of the page, the the message "All messages in trash have been deleted" or words to that effect, and then nothing.

If I'm in the inbox when I empty the trash, I'd like to see the inbox's list of contents without having to refresh. I'm happy to "stay in" or "be returned to" whatever folder I started out in, but it seems the system should be able to show the contents of that folder, whatever it was, instead of a blank page.

Actually this is not what is happening. No matter _what_ folder I am in when I empty the trash, I end up with a blank page after emptying. I get the normal stuff at the top of the page, the the message "All messages in trash have been deleted" or words to that effect, and then nothing.

As (I think) we determined earlier, you are being returned to the now empty trash folder.

QUOTE(StevenUnderwood [at] Aug 24 2007, 08:04 AM)

Are you sure you are not being returned to the now empty Trash folder

QUOTE(svanslyck [at] Aug 24 2007, 12:10 PM)

Yes, that is what is happening. Used to put me back to my inbox IIRC

I will reword dbiel's post top fix the mistake he made.

There was a problem before in the old version that apparently you liked, that took you back to the inbox after every operation rather than leaving you in the now empty trash folder. This seems to have been fixed in the new version and I doubt if there is anyway to "break" again.

The result is the same and is the way I would expect it to work (showing you that the Trash folder is empty). As has been pointed out previously, however, the way I think things should work are not shared by all users. If this is a major problem for you, you should register your complaint with support[at]spamcop.net. Don't know that there is a lot they can do with it. The change may also be related to the bug often seen here where reporting spam returned the user to the previous folder (before the reporting was done).

I think we're still having some communication issues. I just did the same thing, and after the confirmation that the Trash has been emptied, I get a page with the normal icons across the top, then appears a line with a checkmark and the words "Emptied all messages from Trash" and then another narrow menubar with "Trash" then three icons, and "No Messages" over on the right. This is simply telling me that I'm viewing the empty Trash folder, as someone mentioned to you earlier in this topic.

If I'm in the inbox when I empty the trash, I'd like to see the inbox's list of contents without having to refresh. I'm happy to "stay in" or "be returned to" whatever folder I started out in, but it seems the system should be able to show the contents of that folder, whatever it was, instead of a blank page.

We've established that it's *not* a blank page, so it would be helpful if you'd stop calling it that. I'm not sure if the new webmail interface can behave in the manner you'd prefer, but if you turn the "sidebar," then you'll have an easy way to navigate.

DT

We've established that it's *not* a blank page, so it would be helpful if you'd stop calling it that. I'm not sure if the new webmail interface can behave in the manner you'd prefer, but if you turn the "sidebar," then you'll have an easy way to navigate.
Understood, sorry. Where does one turn on the sidebar?

I've looked at Folder and Display Options, and have the two "yes" options selected but have never seen a sidebar.

Understood, sorry. Where does one turn on the sidebar?

It's a little tricky, because it's not on any of the Options categories that initially are displayed. Instead, once you've clicked on "Options," and see the categories, then look to the upper-right, where you'll see "Edit options for:" and a drop-down list, from which you should choose "Global Options." Then, on the right, choose "Display Options," where you'll find "Show the SpamCop Menu on the left?" and you can also set it's fixed width (which you should base on your screen resolution, and the longest mail folder name, for when they are all showing in the tree).

You might also want to select the "Expand the entire folder tree by default in the sidebar?" option in the "Mailbox and Folder Display Options" (back in the Mail, not the Global options).

DT

THIS makes things SO much easier! Thank you!

"that initially are displayed"

There are now multiple Options settings for different parts of the service. All of this was explained in the webmail upgrade thread. The application that SpamCop Webmail is built on changed this years ago (the first Beta program about 3 years ago had the same thing). There were major issues getting the SpamCop add-ons working properly which is why we were still using the old version for production.

When upgrades happen, things change...

Archived