Domain uses non standard port

I recently started reporting through my domain mail server. Roadrunner recently changed mail systems and now all my outbound reports get dropped by RR as spam.

The problem comes in when I try to add a new mailhost. The probe never goes through and returns a "mail system is down" error.

I am sure this is caused by my domain host using port 26 with login requirements on the smtp server. Is there any way to get my mailhosts configured for my domain when it uses a non standard port and requires a login name/password?

if that e-mail server is actually used to handle e-mail traffic to another e-mail server somewhere else in the world that is not directly under the control of the same folks, then it is using the 'standard' port 25 .... your 'user login to a non-standard port" doesn't / shouldn't have anything to do with e-mail transfers between that server and other e-mail servers.

Suggestion would be to start with the SpamCop FAQ entry 'here' that talks to ISP blocking of outgoing 'seen as spam' e-mails .... Noting that this subject has absolutely nothing to do with the "MailHost Configuration of your Reporting Account" ... the MailHost Configuration data is only used/seen during the parsing of a spam submittal ....

Loss, rejection, whatever of the probe e-mails is yet another problem, as this would end up with the question as to just what RR is doing with those e-mails. Work on that would require the actions defined in Ellen's Pinned posting that includes the description and words (twice) "Please read before posting" ....

There is currently no corresponding traffic over in the newsgroups, and thus far, you're the only making these complaints 'here' ... so someone is going to have to take a look at various server logs to see what's happening in your described problem. You don't mention asking RR what's up .... nor do you mention other possible ISPs/carriers in the mix

I guess my first post wasn't very clear. I know for a fact RR is scanning, blocking, and discarding outgoing spam. I went through a troubleshooting procedure with SC and RR a while back. RR acknowledged they were doing this in an email which I posted. Because of this I then started reporting my SPAMs to SC by using my domains smtp server. As I stated - it requires port 26 for outbound.

When I try to send the probe from mailhosts to my domain it returns "Sorry, all tests failed.

We cannot deliver mail to the address you provided: spamreporter[at]bxxxxxxxxs.com. Double check the address provided or try again later. Your mailhost appears to be offline.

Detailed errors:

Connecting to bxxxxxxxxs.com.:

smtpSend:smtpEnvelope (service[at]admin.spamcop.net, spamreporter[at]bxxxxxxxxs.com): smtpTo rcpt to:spamreporter[at]bxxxxxxxxs.com (451 Temporary local problem - please try later )

Sometimes, mailservers are temporarilly unavailable. If you believe you have entered your email address and other details correctly, you might just wait a few minutes (or 24 hours) and try again. "

The mail is working normally, but I have gotten this response for 4 days now. I just wanted to add the mailhost as I will start sending spam received at my domain address soon so I thought it should be added.

As I stated - it requires port 26 for outbound.

What I read (and still read) is that you had to login to the non-standard port.

What I said is that if that e-mail server is expected to actually handle e-mail traffic over the Internet, then it needs to be using the standard Port 25 for the 'actual' 'net' transfer of e-mail.

The lack of identifying the Domain in question doesn't allow for any research from folks 'here'

When I try to send the probe from mailhosts to my domain it returns "Sorry, all tests failed.

We cannot deliver mail to the address you provided: spamreporter[at]bxxxxxxxxs.com. Double check the address provided or try again later. Your mailhost appears to be offline.

Detailed errors:

Connecting to bxxxxxxxxs.com.:

smtpSend:smtpEnvelope (service[at]admin.spamcop.net, spamreporter[at]bxxxxxxxxs.com): smtpTo rcpt to:spamreporter[at]bxxxxxxxxs.com (451 Temporary local problem - please try later )

Sometimes, mailservers are temporarilly unavailable. If you believe you have entered your email address and other details correctly, you might just wait a few minutes (or 24 hours) and try again. "

Again, I can't do any research, testing, analysis die to the lack of provided data. That the 'error' is 'temporary' seems a bit odd .. that means that is doing something with Port 25, but not happy about something ....

So I'm back to stating that you're going to have to contact the folks that have access to the (IronPort/SpamCop) servers involved .. please provide them with as much data as possible relating to date/time stamps, Message-ID: numbers, etc, to give them a clue as to just where in the logs to start looking.

The mail is working normally, but I have gotten this response for 4 days now. I just wanted to add the mailhost as I will start sending spam received at my domain address soon so I thought it should be added.

Valid reason for adding it, but again, the munging of the details pretty much puts a stop to any help from the folks 'here'

Edit: with all the talk about 'greylisting' recently added to the SpamCop.net e-mail system ... there's a possible thought that 'greylisting' may be involved at the in-named Domains e-mail server ... suggestions in the past to work that issue include trying to generate deconf/additional probes within the time limit defined in the 'greylisting' confoguration of the receiving server ..... again, data not always made available to the ISP's users ....

If I understand correctly and you are using this server only for submitting spam messages, you don't need to add this to mailhost configuration if it is not receiving internet messages you are going to report. The IP address of the server sending spamcop the mail message will not show up in the headers of the attached spam messages.

A mail server on a non-standard port will not be able to receive email from most of the internet. You may also run into problems simply because you are sending messages via your personal IP address rather than your ISP's server. If you are only submitting spam through this server, that may not be an issue.

Archived