Webmail HTML

Two questions

Is someone working on something somewhere so that somehow I will be able to see HTML messages when I view via webmail, instead of having to download the message as an attachment?

I would be totally OK with non-display of images - in fact I would be totally OK with complete conversion of the HTML to plain text - but I'm known to be lazy and would dearly love to avoid having to go through an extra step to view a message just because it was composed in HTML.

That said, sometimes I do get (I assume washed) HTML messages direct in webmail; but others just tell me there are no parts what can be displayed inline. Maybe because the message was sent as HTML-part only, and not HTML part plus TXT part. I dunno.

If this should more properly be in the enhancement request section, it would "be a goodness" if someone moves it, but I thought this was the more appropriate place to post.

Second question, what is being done about getting images to display. E.g., someone sends me a JPG, I click on its link instead of its download arrow, and I get the message that my browser (Firefox) does not support display of this filetype.

Comments anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Frau Bluecher? Anyone . . . ?

Two questions

<snip>

If this should more properly be in the enhancement request section, it would "be a goodness" if someone moves it, but I thought this was the more appropriate place to post.

<snip>

...Umm, no, not in the Geek/Tech Things Forum. It might be an enhancement request but, for now, I'm going to go with the SpamCop Email System & Accounts Forum (to where I am moving it with this post).

Anyone?

I would not be interested in this addition. My primary use of Spamcop webmail is to preview all messages before downloading them to my home machine. I rarely even read the messages in my inbox as I have the preview option enabled.

One problem with adding this function is that, IMO, it will only increase the "I get lots more spam since starting with SpamCop" complaints. Of course, IMO, HTML emails should be banned altogether as the HTML rarely adds anything to the message besides additional storage requirements.

I am not actually asking an addition but for a fix of what I perceive is something that is not working. I don't see how it would add any load to the system. The email is already there - it's just wrapped up in an attachment instead of being displayed on the screen. And as I mentioned I couldn't care less about images - just the text.

I use Thunderbird at home but webmail at work, so I have the benefits (and burdens) of both methods.

I am not actually asking an addition but for a fix of what I perceive is something that is not working. I don't see how it would add any load to the system. The email is already there - it's just wrapped up in an attachment instead of being displayed on the screen. And as I mentioned I couldn't care less about images - just the text.

I use Thunderbird at home but webmail at work, so I have the benefits (and burdens) of both methods.

The system was setup this way on purpose because the bulk of people using the service receive a large majority of spam. Opening HTML spam messages can be very dangerous. THe messages you are not seeing any text for are improperly formatted. HTML messages are, by RFC, supposed to include a text version as well. That is what is displayed on properly formatted messages.

I know how it works. The only "danger" in opening an HTML message, as opposed to opening any other message, would be in processing the code (e.g., iFrames) and displaying images, both of which I've already said I agree should not be done. There's plenty of tech out there to strip HTML and images before displaying email text. And the spam argument is quite frankly beyond me. I get just as much text-only spam as I do HTML and HTML/TEXT and multi-part spam. There's no reason I am aware of why your concerns and mine cannot both be fully satisfied.

I going to say that I am going to have to 'see' one of the e-mails you're actually asking about.

If there's an e-mail sent "with no visibile body but has attachments" then it's damn near proof-positive that it's a 'created' spam, as any 'normal' e-mail client will build even an HTML-encrusted e-mail 'correctly' ... the MIME-Boundaried section and the 'plain-text' section .... from that perspective, actually needing to 'read' that e-mail seems like nothing more than a waste of time. You seem to be getting some e-mail that 'has to be read' ... am curious as to just what the e-mail must be about ....

The message just before this one had a problem. It came from MAILER-DAEMON[at]c60.cesmail.net, which must be a pretty dumb "client" since it cannot build an email correctly.

I'm guessing that what you're trying to tell us is that you've subscribed to notifications of responses to this topic, and that something was wrong with the display of the notification associated with Wazoo's response when you tried to read it using Webmail? I haven't tried receiving any notifications from this board in a long time, but I'll see if I can conduct an experiment. If I'm able to successfully read such messages, then it will indicate that there's something amiss with your personal webmail settings.

DT

Is someone working on something somewhere so that somehow I will be able to see HTML messages when I view via webmail, instead of having to download the message as an attachment?

In every message, there should be a clickable link that says "unnamed". You can click on this to view the original HTML message.

If you don't see the link, check your options where it talks about where it should put attachments. You want this set to both the headers and the body.

JT

I'm guessing that what you're trying to tell us is that you've subscribed to notifications of responses to this topic....
Nope, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying I would like webmail to display the text of all html messages instead of me having to download about half of them.

In every message, there should be a clickable link that says "unnamed."
Yes, there is. I don't understand *why* it is there since I *do* have the option set to display html inline. I don't need to see the original html, just the text, which is what I understand this option is for.

I don't understand *why* it is there since I *do* have the option set to display html inline. I don't need to see the original html, just the text, which is what I understand this option is for.

Would you please point me to where this setting is found in the webmail options? I'm looking at the "Message Viewing" settings right now and don't see a thing about inline HTML. On that page, I see the following:

Show an icon to allow stripping of attachments from messages?

Block images in HTML messages unless they are specifically requested?

Automatically show images in HTML messages when the sender is in my addressbook?

Mark different levels of quoting with different colors?

Mark simple markup?

Should large blocks of quoted text be shown or hidden by default? It can be toggled easily whichever you choose.

Dim signatures?

Convert textual emoticons into graphical ones?

How do you want to display attachments?

The default charset for messages with no charset information:

DT

Under Message Viewing

::Block images in HTML messages unless they are specifically requested?

::Automatically show images in HTML messages when the sender is in my addressbook?

::How do you want to display attachments?

::::[Display in body of message]

The Help for Preferences: HTML Image Replacement says, For HTML messages displayed inline,...," which I take to mean that there inline HTML is assumed to work, at least by the person who wrote this Help text."

The Help for Preferences: HTML Image Replacement also refers to inline HTML viewing.

Apparently there isn't an "on/off" option as such, but the system does appear to support this. Sometimes.

It works for message previews. I want it to work for the messages themselves, why not?

Hmmm....good questions. However, IIUC, there are some security issues with displaying HTML messages inline, and so maybe that's not available as an immediate option...I much prefer the plain text display and then the choice to see a message "in all its glory" but YMMV.

DT

I'm going to repeat the "want to see what you are talking about" .. preferably via the use of a Tracking URL.

OK, want an example? The message just before this one had a problem. It came from MAILER-DAEMON[at]c60.cesmail.net, which must be a pretty dumb "client" since it cannot build an email correctly.

This has left a number of us guessing at what you might be talking about. DavidT took a guess, but you seemed to say that his guess was wrong. The server you reference is just that, an e-mail server. It doesn't 'create' e-mails. It handles e-mail sent to it for delivery.

There is a specific 'definition' of "in-line" content when talking about an e-mail construct. I'm having to guess that it's this 'definition' that feeds into your 'sometimes' remark ... but .. admit to having to guess ...

This has left a number of us guessing at what you might be talking about.
It isn't complicated. I just want to be able to see the text of messages in webmail without having to go another step to view them when they're anything other than straight text. And surely a mailer-daemon should be sending out nothing but straight text. That's all.

It isn't complicated. I just want to be able to see the text of messages in webmail without having to go another step to view them when they're anything other than straight text. And surely a mailer-daemon should be sending out nothing but straight text. That's all.
...It seems to me that the talent here is not going to be able to give you a good answer. I strongly suggest we terminate this Forum discussion and that you instead contact JT or Trevor directly (http://mail.spamcop.net/contact.php [preferable, if I understand correctly] or service[at]cesmail.net).

...Good luck!

The system doesn't do that. In all cases, the HTML version is one click away, but it is never displayed on the main message window.

JT

Archived