The "new" S.1618 bill

rconner

Old-timers ought to get a chuckle from this:

On a day when I got my first spam touting a website in the .mobi TLD, I also got this old-school chickenboner spam (tracking link.

Nothing remarkable here, just a pitch for me to watch comedy videos on YouTube (and then go to some stoopid website run by a bulker), but what is quaint is the following:

If you wish to be removed from our mailing list, please send a blank email,

with the words,

'please remove' in the subject line, to: remove[at]comedyvideomail.com,

and I will purge your

email address, immediately from our database. Please note that opt-outs

are removed from

our databases on a weekly basis.

This email is sent in compliance with strict anti-abuse and NO spam

regulations.

This is Absolutely not spam. Your email data is taken directly from our

database of subscribers

obtained through over 1000 websites in our web business group of

companies.

This message is sent in full compliance of the new U.S. Federal e-mail bill

S.1618 Title III, Section 301, Paragraph (a)(2)©.

This message was sent to our opt-in subscriber list and cannot be

considered spam as long as it includes:

1) contact information, and

2) a way to be removed from future e-mailings.

Comedy Video Mail Services

559/1 Moo 10, Pratamnak Road, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi

20260, Thailand.

I'm too sleepy right now to figure out why somebody in Thailand would find it necessary to comply with a ten-year-old "law" that isn't even a law in the first place. I'm also too tired to try to figure out how "I will purge e-mail address, immediately" means the same as "opt-outs are removed from our databases on a weekly basis"

-- rick

I'm also too tired to try to figure out how "I will purge e-mail address, immediately" means the same as "opt-outs are removed from our databases on a weekly basis"

No connection at all .. just a flashback .... a girl with a smile that just melted your heart .... sitting in front of a Franklin 1200 (Apple ][+ clone) with a 1200-baud modem .. just gushing over with joy at seeing on-screen (in Virginia) a reply to an "e-mail" (can we call it that?) she'd sent three days prior to her husband currently deployed to Alaska .... snail-mail took a week and a half to go one way, so the FIDO network between various BBS's was an absolute blessing in her eyes ..... she eventually bought a C-64 & modem so she could actually access my BBS from her house ....

old-timer enough? <g>

No connection at all .. just a flashback .... a girl with a smile that just melted your heart .... sitting in front of a Franklin 1200 (Apple ][+ clone) with a 1200-baud modem .. just gushing over with joy at seeing on-screen (in Virginia) a reply to an "e-mail" (can we call it that?) she'd sent three days prior to her husband currently deployed to Alaska .... snail-mail took a week and a half to go one way, so the FIDO network between various BBS's was an absolute blessing in her eyes ..... she eventually bought a C-64 & modem so she could actually access my BBS from her house ....

old-timer enough? <g>

Would sound a lot better if it was a 300 baud modem :-) That is what was connected on my c-64

Would sound a lot better if it was a 300 baud modem :-) That is what was connected on my c-64

Was a 300-baud while I was in Hawaii .... the 'massive' bump-up to 1200 was one of the first upgrades to my BBS. Naturally happening just prior to all the press releases about the new upcoming 2400's <g>

Was a 300-baud while I was in Hawaii .... the 'massive' bump-up to 1200 was one of the first upgrades to my BBS. Naturally happening just prior to all the press releases about the new upcoming 2400's <g>

A "Hayes-compatible" modem, I imagine. That's when I was just coming on board the world of personal computers (tho I do recall huge and hideously expensive 2400 baud synchronous Bell modems in our computer lab back when I was an intern--they didn't dial, they worked on leased point-to-point lines).

Later on, I had the occasion to learn about "Winmodems" when my bargain Zoom modem turned out not to be such a bargain when it abruptly stopped connecting to my ISP (turns out Winmodems didn't work so well on non-Intel or non-Windows systems; they probably warned of this on the box, but hell I'm an expert, I don't read no stinkin' system requirements statements.)

To bring it back to topic, that was also the period when my primary defense agains spam was hitting "reply" and filling the screen with abuse. Often I'm tempted to revert to those primitive days.

-- rick

A "Hayes-compatible" modem, I imagine.

Funny connection there ... a recent break-in to one of my storage sheds included the kids stealing a couple of ancient RayCal-Vadic modems that also included the "inferior" Hayes-compatible command set / mode. The killer issue was that upon starting up, they of course defaulted to the 'superior' RayCal-Vadic mode .... which of course meant that they would only talk to other RayCal-Vadic modems. One of those "lost details" when things are running 24/7 ... so come the day of a great power outage ... many hours lost trying to sort out just how 90%+ of my network seemed to work just fine .... the parts that didn't work and of course the lack of 'outside' access simply boiled down to 'other' modems hooked up to those systems ....

Archived