Please show message age on simple output during reporting

axlq

When I report spam, I don't care much about seeing the technical data output while spamcop parses the spam in my queue. And yet, I must set "show technical data during reporting" in my reporting preferences because that's the only way to see how old the message is! I'd much rather use the simple report format, but I can't.

Please, in the simple output, show a single extra line "Message is X hours old".

This is imporatnt to me because I don't report messages older than 8 hours. Alternatively, the best solution is to provide a way to junk all unreported messages in the queue older than X hours.

Thanks.

Axlq

No sure the e-mail client data will really help. I believe most email clients display Date/Time from the spoof-able DATE line in the header. At best this line is based on the compromised system's clock. I have seen dates years old and in the future.

On the other hand I think SpamCop uses the date stamp from the verifiable ISP's Received: line to identify age. I presume this is based on the assumption that your ISP will have their clock set correctly (more likely than the spammers).

On the other hand the OP may be talking about the SpamCop reporting page, in which case I'm not sure I understand the issue. Whether using cut and past or SUBMIT to input spam, the age is right at the top of the screen. The data between the age and the send button is the minimum that needs to be reviewed to assure that correct reports are being submitted by the tool. If the age is to old, don't submit it.

An other option is to check email 3 or more times a day.

On the other hand I think SpamCop uses the date stamp from the verifiable ISP's Received: line to identify age. I presume this is based on the assumption that your ISP will have their clock set correctly (more likely than the spammers).

and even this is changed on a MailHost Configured Reporting account.

One of those things that has been complained about for years now, but no one wants to talk about it.

The 'standard' parse and the MailHost Configured parse codebase is different. Standard parse takes the date/time from the topmost 'valid' Received line. MailHost Configured parse takes the date/time from the bottom-most 'valid' Received line. Why? Only those that work the code know (and maybe even they don't know why) ... but on this one, I have yet to see even the small glimmer from a posted "a ticket has been opened" on this specific issue. Newsgroup posts, Forum posts, direct e-mail from me .. on and on ... it's not like "they" don't know about it.

Archived