Outlook 2007 problems

mrmaxx

Got a user who's got a brand new (well, several months old) Dell laptop running XP Pro and Office 2007 Pro.

Today, he comes in and tells me he's getting an error message trying to download his email. I go in and check the usual suspects -- antivirus, account settings, etc. No luck.

I create a new mail account with his settings and try that. No luck. I reboot, in case there was a bad socket or something, no luck.

Doing some researcho n Google, I find that there are known issues with inetcomm.dll, so I check for that file on his system and find two copies, both the same version: 6.0.2900.3138, but with vastly different date/time stamps. The version in c:\i386 is dated 6/22/07 and the version in c:\windows\system32 is dated 8/11/04.

Wondering if anyone has seen this problem before? I am running Office 2007 Basic on my workstation, and my email is working fine. I know this guy's got email, because I was able to log into the web-based email account as him (it uses Squirrel Mail to do email on the web) and saw he's got a bunch of messages. I even tried setting the timeout to 2 minutes, but I'm still getting the timeout error on his account.

Any ideas? Think it may be a corrupt account on the email server or something?

AV Software installed?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813518

Its a timeout error I believe, so it is more likely a connection problem, or something interfering with Outlook than it is an actual problem with outlook. It could also be an issue with his mail account on the server causing it not to respond. You could test that by setting up outlook on a different machine to retrieve his email and seeing if it worked. Then I would set up outlook on his laptop to retrieve someone elses mail, and see if that works.

If his outlook won't retrieve someone elses mail, and someone elses outlook will retrieve his, then the problem is local to his laptop, and you can eliminate any mail server troubleshooting.

Next I would try opening a POP3 session from his laptop using telnet. I don't remember the exact syntax to do this, but you should be able to google for the appropriate commands. This should help to determine whether it is a connectivity issue, or something in or connected to outlook.

Let me know how those tests go, and I'll see what I can come up with from there.

Today, he comes in and tells me he's getting an error message trying to download his email.

Gotta love those "I didn't do anything" type issues.

You didn'y mention the size of the .pst file .. precious version had the infamous 2Gig problem.

You didn't mention asking or looking for what 'extra' stuff was installed within the last few days.

I create a new mail account with his settings and try that. No luck. I reboot, in case there was a bad socket or something, no luck.

socket issues should have shown up 'everywhere' .. i.e. under IE, FireFox, etc.

In theory, setting up a 'new' account would have resolved a problem with the 'personality' ... but you didn't mention whether this was on the same or a different computer.

Doing some researcho n Google, I find that there are known issues with inetcomm.dll, so I check for that file on his system and find two copies, both the same version: 6.0.2900.3138, but with vastly different date/time stamps. The version in c:\i386 is dated 6/22/07 and the version in c:\windows\system32 is dated 8/11/04.

A problem with that file would tend to have multiple issues, timing out doesn't strike me as being one of the most popular.

The c:\i386 is typically an installation file. I can't come up with any particular reason why the /system32 file would be so ancient. The copy I have on the closest Pro system seems to point to the installation date.

Version: 6.00.2900.3138 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.070514-1324)

Size: 667 KB (683,520 bytes)

Created: Monday, February 20, 2006, 6:45:53 PM

Accessed: Today, October 05, 2007

Another Microsoft page: How to troubleshoot error messages that you receive when try to send and receive e-mail in Outlook and in Outlook Express

Any ideas? Think it may be a corrupt account on the email server or something?

Checked by using another computer to set up this acount and making a mail-run ...???? (Remember the "leave on server" flag)

Gotta love those "I didn't do anything" type issues.

You didn'y mention the size of the .pst file .. precious version had the infamous 2Gig problem.

You didn't mention asking or looking for what 'extra' stuff was installed within the last few days.

Nope. Not a PST size issue. I did check that. :-) I don't *think* this guy would have installed anything, but if it's not resolved by Monday, I'll ask. He is the CFO, and not prone to installing things he shouldn't.

socket issues should have shown up 'everywhere' .. i.e. under IE, FireFox, etc.

In theory, setting up a 'new' account would have resolved a problem with the 'personality' ... but you didn't mention whether this was on the same or a different computer.

Same PC, same version of Outlook. As I said, I'm able to use the web-based email from the provider, so I doubt it's something with the account, but that's always a possibility.

A problem with that file would tend to have multiple issues, timing out doesn't strike me as being one of the most popular.

The c:\i386 is typically an installation file. I can't come up with any particular reason why the /system32 file would be so ancient. The copy I have on the closest Pro system seems to point to the installation date.

Version: 6.00.2900.3138 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.070514-1324)

Size: 667 KB (683,520 bytes)

Created: Monday, February 20, 2006, 6:45:53 PM

Accessed: Today, October 05, 2007

Checked by using another computer to set up this acount and making a mail-run ...???? (Remember the "leave on server" flag)

Nope. Not yet.... That's something I probably will check if there's still a problem tomorrow (Monday)

Nope. Not a PST size issue. I did check that. :-) I don't *think* this guy would have installed anything, but if it's not resolved by Monday, I'll ask. He is the CFO, and not prone to installing things he shouldn't.

Same PC, same version of Outlook. As I said, I'm able to use the web-based email from the provider, so I doubt it's something with the account, but that's always a possibility.

Nope. Not yet.... That's something I probably will check if there's still a problem tomorrow (Monday)

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=214943

I followed this, downloaded the file and it fixed it two minutes. I had the exactly the same problem with the combination of XP Pro and Outlook 2007. I spent two days looking at the issue.

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=214943

I followed this, downloaded the file and it fixed it two minutes. I had the exactly the same problem with the combination of XP Pro and Outlook 2007. I spent two days looking at the issue.

Hmm... Not loading for me, but that's OK...problem appears to have resolved itself since we changed email providers over the weekend. :-)

Hi guys I am new at this forum, I just wanted to recommend a tech support site for handeling Office 2007 site since I had some problems my self and I found solution on that tech site.

Here is the page for Office 2007, Hope it helps:

ht tp://www.fixya.com/support/p629595-microsoft_office_professional_2007_full

Cob

[Gratuitous SEO attempt]

• 6 years later...

if you have a problm or any error occur on your Outlook 2007 like your outlook contact recovery problem, emails deleted accidentally and oversized problm in your Outlook 2007 etc.then you may be http://www.fixoutlook2007.com through manual way to follow these steps to fix all problm:

1.Do NOT shut down Outlook when it is still in running

2.Use good antivirus to scan whole computer

3.You also repair PST file error with Inbox repair tool utility or PST repair tool utility. It is also known as scanpst.exe.

4.Start outlook in safe mode. To start it in safe mode open run prompt and type following command and click enter.

Outlook /safe

Archived