Spam-scam crackdown nets $2 billion in fake checks

turetzsr

...Article: spam-scam crackdown nets $2 billion in fake checks.

...Excerpts:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An international crackdown on Internet financial scams this year has yielded more than $2.1 billion in seized fake checks and 77 arrests in the Netherlands, Nigeria and Canada, U.S. and other authorities said on Wednesday [Oct 3, 2007].

The scammers, often West African organized crime groups, use ploys such as "spam" e-mail offering to pay recipients "processing fees" for depositing checks, which later turn out to be phony, and sending the ostensible proceeds to the scammer, authorities said.

Nigeria has brought to court 290 cases of suspected fraud, and the prosecutions have been successful in 115 of the cases so far, said Ibrahim Lamorde, head of that country's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

He said Nigeria is doing its best to stamp out the fake-check operations. It has seized counterfeiting equipment and convened meetings of anti-fraud officials from across Africa. But he acknowledged Nigeria has an image problem.

...The world needs more politicians like him :) <g>
Maybe - or maybe he just hasn't been bought yet. "We" would find it hard to imagine just how tough life is in a place like Nigeria, accordingly hard to understand just how potent the temptations. And like the man said, "Blessed are they that know not temptation for neither do they know the frailty of their rectitude."1 OWTTE.

Anyway, on the face of it, good for Mr. Lamorde. If, in the end, there are no more "Nigerian astronauts" (remember that one?) I for one can live with that. Just what the Nigerians might turn their attentions to in compensation for the loss of one avenue of criminal enterprise, I shudder to think - but no reason not to shut down whatever can be shut down. None at all.

1Sorta reminds me of Dante using the she-wolf "... who in her leanness seem'd Full of all wants," to represent lust. How unfair is that? Biological imperatives are not to be denied. But "our" imperative is NOT to be the next meal, which is an immediate and pressing concern.

DEAR SIR,

FRATERNAL GREETINGS FROM NIGERIA.

I AM IBRAHIM LAMORDE, HEAD OF THAT COUNTRY'S ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL CRIMES COMMISSION. PLEASE TREAT THIS LETTER WITH UTMOST CONFIDENCE.

MY GOOD OFFICES ARE AWARE THAT YOU MAY HAVE BEEN A VICTIM OF THE $2.1 BILLION (TWO POINT ONE BILLION US DOLLARS) FAKE CHECKS SCAM RECENTLY REPORTED BY REUTERS (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071003/wr_nm/crime_checks_dc_2). THE COMMISSION IS MAKING ENDEVORING TO RETURN THESE MONIES TO THEIR RIGHTFUL OWNERSHIPS. IN ORDER TO RETURN YOUR RIGHTFUL MONIES TO YOU, WE NEED TO RECEIVE A SMALL PROCESSING FEE...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived