How to block/filter? (cyrillic spam)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used the Problem button in the SC Mail interface asking why, under Spamcop options, Blacklists, we can't have an extra choice when it comes to Cyrillic spam of sending it to trash as distinct from Held Mail, as reporting it seems to be a totally futile endeavour.

Have you implemented grey listing? This resolved the cyrillic stuff entirely for me and does exactly what you propose. Dumps the stuff into electronic oblivion never to be seen.

Andrew

Have you implemented grey listing? This resolved the cyrillic stuff entirely for me and does exactly what you propose. Dumps the stuff into electronic oblivion never to be seen.

I've tried it a few times and each time gave up as often legitimate emails would be trapped in there and if I didn't catch them in time they would be lost.

Unless, of course, I'm not understanding how greylisting works. But I don't like using something that I need to be constantly checking.

I've tried it a few times and each time gave up as often legitimate emails would be trapped in there and if I didn't catch them in time they would be lost.

Unless, of course, I'm not understanding how greylisting works. But I don't like using something that I need to be constantly checking.

THis thread probably isn't the place to take over with a discussion of grey-listing :) But, in short, legitimate Email should never fail the grey-list test. Legit mail servers which are properly configured will retry delivery after a short time and the grey list will accept on the subsequent delivery attempt whereas most spam mail sent through trojans or spamming servers will fail since they are typically configured to try once and give up if the first attempt is undelivered.

But in essence, legit Email should not fail although the first time a message is attempted it will be delayed for a short period until the redelivery attempts are verified. You shouldn't have to intervene unless you want to speed up the delivery for some reason.

Andrew

But in essence, legit Email should not fail although the first time a message is attempted it will be delayed for a short period until the redelivery attempts are verified. You shouldn't have to intervene unless you want to speed up the delivery for some reason.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll give it another go then.

Archived