"couldn't parse head" error - with No Gnus v0.6, XEmacs 21.4.19-2 - and a pipe to sendmail -v -t

I'm consistently getting the "couldn't parse head" error when I submit any and all spams through an email submit to my submit.XX...XX[at]spam.spamcop.net. What I see when I visit the processed spam message is:

error: couldn't parse head

Message body parser requires full, accurate copy of message

More information on this error..

I've read the documentation and FAQ for this issue. In order to see the full email address with headers, under xemacs/gnus I use the "C-u g" sequence. And then I pipe the entire message, with headers, to a shell scri_pt that basically prepends a new set of headers (From, Return-Path, Reply-To, Sender, To, Bcc, Subject) so that I send out and forward the email to spamcop. The pipe is through the "|" key sequence. After these headers (to make the email go to spamcop), a newline is included, along with the original spam message with its headers. One of the submits that I made may be found at:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1482092140za...efe1de50d166b4z

I've been submitting up to a dozen spam reports per day, sometimes with a turnaround time of several minutes from the receipt time of the spam message. It's vital that the reports are being forwarded on to all concerned parties, including the administrators of the domain names that appear in the body of the spam message. At the moment, that isn't happening. The scri_pt is quite simple, and I quote it below. When I see the copy of the report that I file, everything looks just fine, and includes the headers, so I'm at a loss to understand what might be going wrong. Can someone please advise how I might track and resolve this difficulty?

#!/bin/sh

(

cat <<EOF

Return-Path: myemailaddress

Reply-To: myemailaddress

Sender: myemailaddress

To: submit.XX...XX[at]spam.spamcop.net

Bcc: myemailaddress

Subject: Unsolicited email

EOF

sed 's,^From ,\\From ,'

) | sendmail -v -t

I'm consistently getting the "couldn't parse head" error when I submit any and all spams through an email submit to my submit.XX...XX[at]spam.spamcop.net. What I see when I visit the processed spam message is:

error: couldn't parse head

Message body parser requires full, accurate copy of message

More information on this error

I was going to start a reply by quoting this part, but .... you've already seen it.

I've read the documentation and FAQ for this issue.

But it doesn't appear that you compared all that research, FAQ data, explanaytions, descriptions, etc. with what you are sending ... in particular, analyzing what's causing that error.

I'll invite you to look at your e-mail, any e-mail, and see if you can actually find one that starts with the lines;

\From wang[at]turtle-ind.co.jp Wed Oct 17 19:59:10 2007

Lines: 3

I will suggest that you'll be looking for a long time.

I have no idea where / how you invoke your scri_pt, so no real idea just what might be grabbed from your

cat <<EOF line. On the other hand, your sed 's,^From ,\\From ,' seems easy enough to point to as the source of the 'bad' "/From ..." line in the submittal .. not sure just where "lines: 3" comes from ... but that's another tripping point in the parse process.

Actually, the tracking url you provided showed that the parser doesn't seem to trip up on those lines at the beginning, but Wazoo is always interested in all the details because that's where the answer lies - sometimes it is a combination of details. Perhaps even though it does parse the headers, it still doesn't like those lines in the beginning when it gets to the body. If you have read the FAQ, then surely you can say why it isn't that or it isn't this so people don't have to suggest solutions that you have already researched.

However, the 'more information' about the error in the parse says that very often copied spam have errors and it seems to me that you are going out of your way to use this method when all you have to do is forward as attachment. I can't tell whether your method copies or not (since I don't know what 'pipe' means), but if so, that might be the problem.

You don't say whether you ever have had a successful spam submission with this scri_pt. If so, I would go with the fact that copied spam doesn't parse well and try submitting another way. There are different ways to 'forward as attachment' with different email software.

If a deputy comes by, s/he might be able to answer your question.

Miss Betsy

Archived