Weeks-old messages finally delivered. Why the delay?

Every time before I download to my computer, I first open SpamCop webmail to identify and report spam messages that SpamCop has not trapped.

Though I last downloaded late yesterday, this morning I found 20 new messages (out of 47) that were over a day old. Some were weeks old. One was nearly a year old!

I think that the delay is happening at SpamCop rather than my ISP that forwards to SpamCop, because some of the messages were SpamCop's own Quick Reporting Data messages. (And opening one of these, I could see that the reported messages were from the same time period.)

This isn't the first time this is happened, but it is the largest collection of delayed messages I have received so far.

What is happening? How can it be corrected?

Hi!

...If you post the internet headers of one of the e-mails in question, I think that will help us. One of the questions it will answer is: on what date are you basing your observation that the e-mails are old?

...On another subject altogether, you may wish to have a look at post #1 of SpamCop Forum thread "Spammers love Forum name = e-mail address."

I don't see that my reply fits very well, but I can't find anything closer to my problem.

I am getting very long delays on getting a response back on spam forwarded as attachments.

Then oftentimes the email back from Spamcop is slow in coming. If I log into Spamcop, it shows as unreported spam. The email shows up hours later. I never used to have this problem. No one else seems to be reporting it.

I don't see that my reply fits very well, but I can't find anything closer to my problem.

I am getting very long delays on getting a response back on spam forwarded as attachments.

Then oftentimes the email back from Spamcop is slow in coming. If I log into Spamcop, it shows as unreported spam. The email shows up hours later. I never used to have this problem. No one else seems to be reporting it.

You would need to look at the headers of the email you receive back to determine where any delay is being introduced. I am seeing a bit of a delay (up to 30 minutes or so) with SpamCop receiving and processing the initial request, but not any delay in the email response telling me the message is ready to be processed. It is always in my inbox when I first see the unreported spam link. The delay I am seeing appears to be while the message is in the spamcop queues, which happens from time to time.

I can't read into your problem description well enoiugh to sort out whether you are complaining about a SpamCop.net e-mail account or not (which is the Forum section you posted this into) .... From what I do read in your post, you are actually complaining about a Parsing & Reporting system issue, which would be better handled in the Reporting Help section.

To respond to the issue that you do raise, please take a look at the graphic/link at the top right of this page. The Parsing & Reporting system is again getting slammed pretty hard. As stated in a number of other places, e-mail submittals are handled at a lower priority than many other processes on the Parsing & Reporting system.

Historically, this timing issue does continue to reappear .... hardware upgrades get applied, the time goes back down until more new SpamCop.net users arrive, and the system gets back into that trying-to-keep-up mode. The real problem is that the e-mail submittal process was never meant to be a real-time process ... but it works fast enough that most folks seem to think that it is.

Inless you respond otherwise, your section of this Topic will eventually get split out from the e-mail account issue you posted into and will then be moved over to the Reporting Help section.

Archived