[Resolved] Help please, locked out of Webmail.

Hi, I've been locked out of my Webmail since Friday, since I changed my password. I can get into Spamcop,net using my new password but not the webmail. I'm guessing (reading the forums after the event)this is because I used {} in my password.

I requested a password reset on Friday and again yesterday, but have had no response at all, which is very unusual for Spamcop, I'm wondering if my ISP's mail is filtering them out.

Something changed today, as I used to be able to login to spamcop.net with {} in place, but I have to remove them now, however I still can't login to Webmail.

My only access to my Spamcop is via Webmail, so it's really important to me to be able to login and 5 days without is a nightmare.

If anyone from Spamcop could assist it would be much appreciated.

Regards

ChrisC.

Have you used the web form for spamcop email problems? it is here Contact spamcop email

Since I don't use the webmail, I can't help any more than that.

Hi Miss Betsy,

thanks for the reply. very much appreciated. Sadly yes, I've used this link, although I might try again later today. It's like all customer support has vanished :( I've got some delivery schedules being posted and It's driving me mad, even more fustrating is that I can see all my held mail spam via Spamcop.net but not any of the email I actually want to see :lol: . Five days without any kind of support response is very poor and I have to say, very unusual.

I've been hoping someone from Spamcop would PM here today, no joy so far.

Once again many thanks for the reply.

Regards

ChrisC.

I had added a post to the "'new' IMAP server" Topic about this password issue a while back at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=60874 .... noting that this Topic only specifies 'WebMail' .....

Another part of the issue is the 'only happened a few days ago' description .... there have been no notices made about any 'recent' work on any of these applications, so not sure why things would have changed 'recently' .....

I had added a post to the "'new' IMAP server" Topic about this password issue a while back at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=60874 .... noting that this Topic only specifies 'WebMail' .....

Another part of the issue is the 'only happened a few days ago' description .... there have been no notices made about any 'recent' work on any of these applications, so not sure why things would have changed 'recently' .....

Not sure what you mean regarding the few days ago bit, can you elaborate? I only found this post after the event, I was already screwed. Would if not be far more sensible to just stop the new password input from allowing entry of characters that it can't cope with? Can't be that tricky to parse the string. Either that or allow password changes via Spamcop.net, which I could actually log in.

ChrisC.

Hi, ChrisC!

<snip>

Would if not be far more sensible to just stop the new password input from allowing entry of characters that it can't cope with? Can't be that tricky to parse the string.

...Seems like that might be a worthwhile New Feature Request (although there has been recent discussion here suggesting that e-mail new feature requests are more likely to be replied to and/ or acted upon if posted in this Forum rather than the New Feature Request forum). You might also want to make that suggestion via the previously-found web form.
Either that or allow password changes via Spamcop.net, which I could actually log in.
...Different servers with different administrators (e-mail is run by JT and colleague on the east coast; spamcop.net is run by SpamCop/Cisco on the west coast).

Hi, ChrisC!...Seems like that might be a worthwhile New Feature Request (although there has been recent discussion here suggesting that e-mail new feature requests are more likely to be replied to and/ or acted upon if posted in this Forum rather than the New Feature Request forum). You might also want to make that suggestion via the previously-found web form....

Hardly seems like it should be a "New feature request" rather a "Fix bug request" :D From reading the forums it's clear Spamcop know about the issue. It seems to me remiss that they did not filter the password or at least warn me at the point of entry. I still don't have a solution though, they've attempted to fix it for me by removing the brackets (braces!) from my password, (not sure I'm happy they can do this either..but that's another post :rolleyes: ) however I didn't find out until today (although I'd guessed) however it still doesn't work, I still have no email access and all I did was attempted to make my passowrd a little stronger!

Different servers with different administrators (e-mail is run by JT and colleague on the east coast; spamcop.net is run by SpamCop/Cisco on the west coast).

Whilst the point is well taken, however I can access my heldmail, which is presumably held on the East Coast, via Spamcop.net, so why not my password? I think if I was going to make a feature request, this would be it.

Regards

ChrisC

Not sure what you mean regarding the few days ago bit, can you elaborate?

I was basing that on your initial post content;

Hi, I've been locked out of my Webmail since Friday,

Granted, I appeared to have skipped over the "when I changed the password" bit ....

I only found this post after the event, I was already screwed. Would if not be far more sensible to just stop the new password input from allowing entry of characters that it can't cope with? Can't be that tricky to parse the string. Either that or allow password changes via Spamcop.net, which I could actually log in.

The software in use is a third-party application, configured and maintained by only a couple of people, Please see Section 8 - SpamCop's System & Active Staff User Guide

Hardly seems like it should be a "New feature request" rather a "Fix bug request" :D From reading the forums it's clear Spamcop know about the issue. It seems to me remiss that they did not filter the password or at least warn me at the point of entry.

As above, your reference to 'SpamCop' actually needs to be a bit more specific, as 'the SpamCop E-Mail Account system / folks' ... please see Why are there so many different account names/passwords needed?

I still don't have a solution though, they've attempted to fix it for me by removing the brackets (braces!) from my password, (not sure I'm happy they can do this either..but that's another post :rolleyes: ) however I didn't find out until today (although I'd guessed) however it still doesn't work, I still have no email access and all I did was attempted to make my passowrd a little stronger!

As I noted in the previously referenced posting I made in here, this issue has not been made known anywhere else as a public notification. I can't explain that. Why the input isn't filtered isn't under the control of anyone responding (thus far) here. Again, see the "Staff" list referenced above.

Whilst the point is well taken, however I can access my heldmail, which is presumably held on the East Coast, via Spamcop.net, so why not my password? I think if I was going to make a feature request, this would be it.

Nope .. you are accessing a 'special hack' ... please see VER - Very Easy Reporting .... in this case, you are logging into the west coast server/system which is then accessing your e-mail account data on the east coast system.

I still don't have a solution though, they've attempted to fix it for me by removing the brackets (braces!) from my password, (not sure I'm happy they can do this either..but that's another post :rolleyes: ) however I didn't find out until today (although I'd guessed) however it still doesn't work, I still have no email access and all I did was attempted to make my passowrd a little stronger!

Tried to help you out, but ..... none of the data you used 'here' was of any value in trying to identify you in the SpamCop.net E-mail Account system by JT ... he also had no knowledge of working with anyone on a password issue today .... you need to contact JT directly so that your actual account there can be identified.

Tried to help you out, but ..... none of the data you used 'here' was of any value in trying to identify you in the SpamCop.net E-mail Account system by JT ... he also had no knowledge of working with anyone on a password issue today .... you need to contact JT directly so that your actual account there can be identified.

What? Are you seriously laying the blame for this poor service at my door? I'm not about to put all my details in a forum, I'm a user, that does not automatically make me stupid. ANY member of Spamcop's staff could at ANY POINT in the day have PM'd me and simply asked for my details! This is indeed what happened in the end (see below) it didn't fix the problem but hey at least I was talking to someone, which is an improvment on the past 5 days. As for JT having no knowledge of anyone working on a password, hardly my fault if the staff don't speak to each other! I'm not setting out to wind up anyone here but has so far been and continues to be, like pulling teeth.

The software in use is a third-party application, configured and maintained by only a couple of people, Please see Section 8 - SpamCop's System & Active Staff User Guide

Fair enough, but I'm sorry all this is just so much "white noise" from a customers point of view, I know little about who runs what, nor is it my job to care. I pay the entity "Spamcop" for that and they have a duty of service. As a customer I shouldn't really have to go to these lengths get a solution to my problems. So far....

I've been locked out of my account for reasons I had to descover myself.

Since Friday last week I've requested two password resets via the suggested route and had zero response.

I sent an email regarding this problem to Jeff (support[at]spamcop.net) on 12/11 at 19.45 and have so far had no response.

The {} were removed from my password at some point today but I knew nothing about this until 3 pm this afternoon when someone called TrevorB PM'ed me to apologise for the delay and telling me this is what he'd done. I emailed him back to say it hadn't worked for me and I am so far still awaiting a response.

As it stands I can log into spamcop.net but still not the web mail, as my curly brackets have not been removed I guess the problem lies elsewhere.

As above, your reference to 'SpamCop' actually needs to be a bit more specific, as 'the SpamCop E-Mail Account system / folks' ... please see Why are there so many different account names/passwords needed?

Fair enough point taken, however in my defence, the path to customer service is not a clear one without trawling these forums. My time would be better spent sorting out my own emails.

Nope .. you are accessing a 'special hack' ... please see VER - Very Easy Reporting .... in this case, you are logging into the west coast server/system which is then accessing your e-mail account data on the east coast system.

Unless I'm missing something here, this is my point, is it not? The previous poster suggested that West coast could not access East coast to allow a password change from Spamcop.net. I'm suggesting yes it could be done and if I'm not mistaken you've clarifed it here, it might require a "special hack" as you describe, but clearly it can be done.

Regards

ChrisC.

What? Are you seriously laying the blame for this poor service at my door? I'm not about to put all my details in a forum, I'm a user, that does not automatically make me stupid.

All I said was that I tried to help and that none of the data I have access to identified / tied you to a SpamCop.net e-mail account. I also did not ask for anything of your data to be placed "into the Forum" ... I said to contact JT directly.

ANY member of Spamcop's staff could at ANY POINT in the day have PM'd me and simply asked for my details!

And again, there are only two people with any access at the needed level involved. I tried to help while IMing the owner of the e-mail system. On the other hand, you could have followed your own suggestion and initiated the PM dialog. (Noting that there's still nothing further I can do, as you didn't provide me anything else to work with.)

This is indeed what happened in the end (see below) it didn't fix the problem but hey at least I was talking to someone, which is an improvment on the past 5 days. As for JT having no knowledge of anyone working on a password, hardly my fault if the staff don't speak to each other!

My words were "he did not work with any password issue today" .....

I pay the entity "Spamcop" for that

You sure about that? SpamCop.net is owned by Cisco/IronPort and you would have written a check/authoriztion for one of them to handle your money. An e-mail account is handled by CES, owned by JT.

and they have a duty of service. As a customer I shouldn't really have to go to these lengths get a solution to my problems. So far....

I've been locked out of my account for reasons I had to descover myself.

Since Friday last week I've requested two password resets via the suggested route and had zero response.

I sent an email regarding this problem to Jeff (support[at]spamcop.net) on 12/11 at 19.45 and have so far had no response.

The {} were removed from my password at some point today but I knew nothing about this until 3 pm this afternoon when someone called TrevorB PM'ed me to apologise for the delay and telling me this is what he'd done. I emailed him back to say it hadn't worked for me and I am so far still awaiting a response.

If you had looked at the "Staff" listing, you would have noticed that Trevor works for JT .... this does not mean thtat they are sitting side-by-side. The point being that in the U.S., yesterday was Veteren's Day, therefore a holiday for most. I'm having to guess that these two people have been making their way through a ton-load of e-mail that accrued over the long week-end. But, that's just a guess on my part.

As it stands I can log into spamcop.net but still not the web mail, as my curly brackets have not been removed I guess the problem lies elsewhere.

Yes, as explained in the referenced links I offered in my last post. You are not loffed into 'all' of the various systems at any time .. each has its own set of user data.

Fair enough point taken, however in my defence, the path to customer service is not a clear one without trawling these forums. My time would be better spent sorting out my own emails.

That's why there are so many links provided for contacting 'official' support folks. Check the SpamCop FAQ links at the top of the page, check the Announcments section, follow the RED-lettered link towards the top of the page, hit the Wiki .. on and on .... there is only so much that the folks volunteering their time and effort here can do ....

Unless I'm missing something here, this is my point, is it not? The previous poster suggested that West coast could not access East coast to allow a password change from Spamcop.net. I'm suggesting yes it could be done and if I'm not mistaken you've clarifed it here, it might require a "special hack" as you describe, but clearly it can be done.

The 'special hack' I pointed to is defined elsewhere also .. it is not something that is going to handle this type of situation. Please explain where the referenced links failed to explain that all these parts of SpamCop.net are not owned, maintained, run by the same people? The days of Julian running 'everything' disappeared a number of years ago.

All I said was that I tried to help and that none of the data I have access to identified / tied you to a SpamCop.net e-mail account. I also did not ask for anything of your data to be placed "into the Forum" ... I said to contact JT directly.

Apologies, my reply was not intended to be adversarial, it's getting late here combined with these never ending login problems I'm getting very tetchy :( I was also unaware you were the person who attempted the fix, for which you have my thanks. You understand my response I'm sure you said "Tried to help you out, but ..... none of the data you used 'here' was of any value in trying to identify you in the SpamCop.net" I read ‘here’ as this forum.

On the other hand, you could have followed your own suggestion and initiated the PM dialog. (Noting that there's still nothing further I can do, as you didn't provide me anything else to work with.)

True and if I'd known to whom I was PMing I would have done so. I'm not ungrateful for the help, it's very much appreciated, especially the links, given that most of my posts here have been sent whilst I was at work, where I don’t have time to follow all the forum links.

As for not providing you with anything else to go on, I don't know what else I could possibly provide you with? I've said my password does not work on webmail, however does on spamcop.net, I've also provided the error message I get, what else is there? I’m guessing you realise from my obvious frustration that I would happily provide any other info, however unless I know what you need.....

You sure about that? SpamCop.net is owned by Cisco/IronPort and you would have written a check/authoriztion for one of them to handle your money. An e-mail account is handled by CES, owned by JT. If you had looked at the "Staff" listing, you would have noticed that Trevor works for JT .... this does not mean thtat they are sitting side-by-side. The point being that in the U.S., yesterday was Veteren's Day, therefore a holiday for most. I'm having to guess that these two people have been making their way through a ton-load of e-mail that accrued over the long week-end. But, that's just a guess on my part.

You assume I've not read the "staff" listing, on your suggestion I did. I understand perfectly this is the case and I'm not oblivious to the problem, however my point is simple, regardless of whom owns what, as a customer it should make no difference to me. If I buy I tin of beans from my local 7/11 it doesn't matter to me that the place is owned by Walmart. If I take them back they are unlikely to “say sorry you need to complain to Walmart, nothing to do with us†The Spamcop brand is all one from a customers point of view, which is the method it is marketed and that’s how they make it look.

That's why there are so many links provided for contacting 'official' support folks. Check the SpamCop FAQ links at the top of the page, check the Announcments section, follow the RED-lettered link towards the top of the page, hit the Wiki .. on and on .... there is only so much that the folks volunteering their time and effort here can do ....

Of which I've tried many and got nowhere thus far. I posted to the forum as a last resort, the last thing I want to do is trawl the forum and steal valuable time from people who have much better things to do. My hope in posting was to flag the problem with Spamcop. I'm sure you can agree that no response from customer support, plus the lack of any warning regarding the curly brackets, is pretty dire.

The 'special hack' I pointed to is defined elsewhere also .. it is not something that is going to handle this type of situation.

Not suggesting it is, all I said is that it would be a nice feature. Just because it’s hard doesn’t mean it can’t be done.

Please explain where the referenced links failed to explain that all these parts of SpamCop.net are not owned, maintained, run by the same people? The days of Julian running 'everything' disappeared a number of years ago.

I'm curious why you think I don't understand this point. It's explained well enough, however you must concede the entire marketing, access to webmail via spamcop.net etc is designed for it to NOT look this way, so why should I, as a customer think any differently? I should not have to concern myself with such detail. The fact that you make this point does not make it any better from my (lack of) customer service point of view. I have, I think you’ll agree, gone via the channels open to me to try and resolve this issue.

Speaking of which, as you have suggested I have emailed JT in the hope that it will be sorted sooner rather than later. I will post whatever the resolution here for all to see. My thanks for all your assistance and useful links today.

Regards

ChrisC.

Apologies, my reply was not intended to be adversarial, it's getting late here combined with these never ending login problems I'm getting very tetchy :( I was also unaware you were the person who attempted the fix, for which you have my thanks. You understand my response I'm sure you said "Tried to help you out, but ..... none of the data you used 'here' was of any value in trying to identify you in the SpamCop.net" I read ‘here’ as this forum.

Exactly right. Again, as seen in the "Staff list" you say you looked at, I am not Trevor.

As stated, the only data I have o work with is your Forum 'name' and the data you Registered 'here' with, which has nothing that identifies your SpamCop.net e-mail account .... therefore neither JT or myself could go any further.

As for not providing you with anything else to go on, I don't know what else I could possibly provide you with? I've said my password does not work on webmail, however does on spamcop.net, I've also provided the error message I get, what else is there? I’m guessing you realise from my obvious frustration that I would happily provide any other info, however unless I know what you need.....

You are replying to Wazoo, not Trevor. Wazoo only runs the Forum, no access to either of the user databases on the Parsing & Reporting or the E-Mail Account parts of the SpamCop.net system. The only thing I have to work with is what you've placed 'here' (and yes, I do mean this Forum)

You assume I've not read the "staff" listing, on your suggestion I did.

Based on the above confusion, I'll also ask how that listing needs to be improved. There's quite a difference between Trevor's description and Wazoo's .. so totally not sure how it could be assumed that they might be the same person.

I understand perfectly this is the case and I'm not oblivious to the problem, however my point is simple, regardless of whom owns what, as a customer it should make no difference to me. If I buy I tin of beans from my local 7/11 it doesn't matter to me that the place is owned by Walmart. If I take them back they are unlikely to “say sorry you need to complain to Walmart, nothing to do with us” The Spamcop brand is all one from a customers point of view, which is the method it is marketed and that’s how they make it look.

To run with your analogy, there are locally-owned Radio Shacks and there are Corporate-owned Radio Shacks. Corporate Radio Shack would run the "free battery" ads in all the area newspapers. The locally-owned guy was losing too much money giving away those batteries that he had to buy ... so the sign eventually went up on the door that the majority of the ads seen in the newspapre would not be honored .... There's a 'national chain-store that runs under the flag of True-Value. However, each store is locally owned and run. Although the 'local' owners might try to work with you, buying something in Des Moines but trying to return it in Chicago will probably be an issue .. the item may not have ever been carried by the Chicago store, for instance. The point being, there are examples of what you seem to be objecting to out there in the real-world also. However, in this case, there are but a very small handful of 'staff' involved. In reality, this staff (and even the volunteers here) are scattered around the world.

Of which I've tried many and got nowhere thus far. I posted to the forum as a last resort, the last thing I want to do is trawl the forum and steal valuable time from people who have much better things to do. My hope in posting was to flag the problem with Spamcop. I'm sure you can agree that no response from customer support, plus the lack of any warning regarding the curly brackets, is pretty dire.

I agree. As noted, I only recently discovered the character-set issue, and that was while reading a newsgroup thread in which someone else posted some data that Trevor had provided in an e-mail to that user. This is when I carted that data 'over here' ....

That you can change using these bad characters is an issue, that there's no 'warniing' or hint as to 'allowed' characters would seem to be an issue, but .... as stated several times in several places, that's all under JT and/or Trevor's control. As the 'new' software was put into production status quite a while ago, your 'problem' came as a surprise to me ... I was of the thought that the user that PM'd me last week on his/her password issue was a one-off thing. You now make two users in two weeks. So, I made some more postings, see the most recent item under Announcements to head off any other user complaintts or issues about password issues. Again, that's about all I can do ...

I'm curious why you think I don't understand this point. It's explained well enough, however you must concede the entire marketing, access to webmail via spamcop.net etc is designed for it to NOT look this way, so why should I, as a customer think any differently? I should not have to concern myself with such detail. The fact that you make this point does not make it any better from my (lack of) customer service point of view. I have, I think you’ll agree, gone via the channels open to me to try and resolve this issue.

Again, most of what you are talking about is stuff dating back to the days when SpamCop.net was owned, run, and maintained by a single person. Had you followed the (Wiki included) VER link back to the Forum FAQ entry, you'd have seen that VER was described as "not going to be updated, possibly to disappear" a heck of a long time ago. The VER thing is what is seen when connecting (to the west coast system) with the URL that includes the '&heldlog' syntax. This is the 'special hack' I referenced.

Speaking of which, as you have suggested I have emailed JT in the hope that it will be sorted sooner rather than later. I will post whatever the resolution here for all to see. My thanks for all your assistance and useful links today.

The bad part is that it seems that Trevor asked you to contact him directly if there were any issues after he had changed your password. Perhaps the '[at]cesmail.net' part of his address confused you???? Again, SpamCop.net e-mail accounts are provided by JT, who owns and runs CES ......

My guess, Trevor saw your initial e-mail to JT .. he handled it, contacted you via PM 'here' .... this would go along with JT not knowing about or handling any password issue today .... so the question now is .. have you replied to Trevor at all yet?

For people who may have read this far, a post from another point of view:

There are three parts to spamcop: Spamcop Reporting which is on the west coast and is run by Spamcop/Cisco; Spamcop Email Service which is on the east coast and run by JT and staff; and the Spamcop Forum which handles questions by users of both on questions that users encounter.

Spamcop Reporting paid staff may be able to answer some questions about the Spamcop Email system that are frequently encountered - particularly in the reporting part of the email system, but have no access or knowledge of passwords or the inner workings of the Spamcop Email system.

Spamcop Email Service may be able to answer some questions about reporting - particularly as it applies to the way the Email Service offers reporting services, but they have no access or knowledge of the inner workings of the Spamcop Reporting Service.

The Spamcop Forum is for users. Users can answer frequently encountered problems - particularly for people who are new. There are different Forums for Reporting Problems; Email Problems; Blocklist Problems. Users have no access to passwords or to the inner workings of either Reporting or Email. The value of a user forum is that there are several viewpoints. One user may have developed a work around. Discussions about how to use filters effectively benefit from how several users have configured their filters and would be much more useful to another user than the opinion of one help desk person.

Unfortunately, the OP has a problem, which is apparently a problem not encountered before by very many; therefore the users in the Forum don't know how it could be fixed. That never daunts Wazoo, but he always needs lots of information because that's how crackerjack troubleshooters find the answer.

Also, unfortunately, the OP's problem occurred at the beginning of a holiday weekend.

And, he can 'see' his held mail, but not his inbox which is very frustrating. Naturally, in order to accomplish anything, his spamcop email address has to be known and, of course, he is reluctant to post it in a forum.

However, the only people who can really 'do' anything are the Spamcop Email Service staff who wouldn't fix a password problem by posting in the Forum so apparently there are emails going back and forth now between them. Wazoo tried to help, but needed crucial information which the OP didn't want to post - and maybe thought he had already emailed. When one is frustrated and tired and has other things happening, one tends to get 'tetchy' and perhaps loses track of which avenue to solve the problem one is using.

And now, I have run out of time myself.

On the bright side, now the Forum will have information on how making a password too strong can backfire! Maybe someone can write an article in the Wiki on 'strong passwords' in general and in particular for the Email Service.

Miss Betsy

Hi Wazoo, just back from worked and picked up your reply.

Exactly right. Again, as seen in the "Staff list" you say you looked at, I am not Trevor.

Indeed. Doing this at 1am in the morning is not a good idea as I tend took rather foolish :) A long day yesterday. As I was unaware of any other "help", other than the posts I presumed that you were one and the same, despite the name difference. I had of course PM'd Trevor back much ealier in the day but had no reply, as you seem to have much more knowledge than one would reasonably expect from using forum details I put two & two together and got 5 :) I assumed that for whatever reason you were one and the same. It wouldn't be the first time I've seem someone aliased as someone else.

As stated, the only data I have o work with is your Forum 'name' and the data you Registered 'here' with, which has nothing that identifies your SpamCop.net e-mail account .... therefore neither JT or myself could go any further.

Actually at no point was it clear to me that you were using only the data available from the forum, hence my rant, plus my later confusion.

Based on the above confusion, I'll also ask how that listing needs to be improved. There's quite a difference between Trevor's description and Wazoo's .. so totally not sure how it could be assumed that they might be the same person.

They don't I just need to a) Speak to less than 50 people regarding the same problem and B) go to bed earlier.

To run with your analogy, there are locally-owned Radio Shacks and there are Corporate-owned Radio Shacks. Corporate Radio Shack would run the "free battery" ads in all the area newspapers <SNIP>

Point well taken, however in this case I see little point in marketing themselves as being part of something bigger and trying to look as if they are all one big happy family, with all the benefits & problems that brings. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I agree. As noted, I only recently discovered the character-set issue, and that was while reading a newsgroup thread in which someone else posted some data that Trevor had provided in an e-mail to that user. This is when I carted that data 'over here' ....

Understood.

Again, most of what you are talking about is stuff dating back to the days when SpamCop.net was owned, run, and maintained by a single person. Had you followed the (Wiki included) VER link back to the Forum FAQ entry, you'd have seen that VER was described as "not going to be updated, possibly to disappear" a heck of a long time ago. The VER thing is what is seen when connecting (to the west coast system) with the URL that includes the '&heldlog' syntax. This is the 'special hack' I referenced.

Don't really understand what you are getting at here, I was suggesting that adding a change password to Spamcop would be a good idea, simply noting that I thought it should be possible as I am able to read my Heldmail. Perhaps this is not possible, doesn't make it a bad idea though.

The bad part is that it seems that Trevor asked you to contact him directly if there were any issues after he had changed your password. Perhaps the '[at]cesmail.net' part of his address confused you???? Again, SpamCop.net e-mail accounts are provided by JT, who owns and runs CES ......

Actually the "bad part" here is that Trevor didn't PM me until I'd posted here, told me he'd applied a fix (which I mentioned in several posts) had Trevor picked and I of course I emailed him back directly (within 5 mins of the PM). I got my reply today and the problem is now resolved (I'll put another post here later with details).

My guess, Trevor saw your initial e-mail to JT .. he handled it, contacted you via PM 'here' .... this would go along with JT not knowing about or handling any password issue today .... so the question now is .. have you replied to Trevor at all yet?

Perhaps and as for the have you replied to Trevor yet? Did you really need to ask me that? :rolleyes:

It's been good talking to you I have to say Wazoo, you've certainly opened my eyes to how chaotic the arrangements for Spamcop are and how knowledgable the forum members are. For all the help I'm happy to send my genuine thanks.

To run with your analogy, there are locally-owned Radio Shacks and there are Corporate-owned Radio Shacks. Corporate Radio Shack would run the "free battery" ads in all the area newspapers <SNIP>
Point well taken, however in this case I see little point in marketing themselves as being part of something bigger and trying to look as if they are all one big happy family, with all the benefits & problems that brings. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
...Correct me if I'm wrong, Wazoo, but I do not see any disagreement here. I just see it as Wazoo emphasizing the reality of the split administrative responsibilities (not suggesting that, since they seem to be attempting to appear a single entity, users should be able to expect that their support concerns would be treated as a single entity) in an attempt to make clear why a suggestion the fix to which would require cross-"boundary" coordination might be harder to accomplish than it would otherwise appear, or even infeasible.

No correction seen as necessary. I had thoughts of many other examples, the best/worst being 'Government' .. but figured that would be stepping too far down that path.

I just ran into this scenario at the local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles)

Aunt has a 'permanent disability' statement that was valid in Arizona. Not good in Iowa. She does a medical appointment with a local doctor, who writes up a form that would be valid in Iowa.

I take her to the 'Title / License Plate' office so she could get 'Diabled' license plates. Turns out I had to take her to the "Driver's License" office to get a set of 'tempory' Disbaled Cards that one could hang from the windshield-mounted rearview mirror. With those in hand, returned to the Title office to then exchnage her current license plates for ones that had the 'disabled' icon on them.

Both offices are part of the DMV, even co-located within the same building, but .....

Archived