Connecting with Outlook 2003

Hope you can help, I am using the latest version of Outlook 2003 on XP SP2. In the last few days, I have had consistent errors connecting to download mail using POP3 from mail.spamcop.net

I have tried deleting the account in Outlook and recreating it, but nothing seems to work. I can access my mail using webmail or by setting up an IMAP account in Outlook but I would prefer to download mail by POP3.

Any assistance or suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Well, first of all, have you gone through the instructions at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=152 ???

You say IMAP works OK, but POP doesn't ... and noting that the only basic issue in those instructions is the actual server involved.

In addition, the exact details of the "consistent errors" might actually offer a clue as to what the specific issue is. No connection, timing out, etc. ... different error codes are offered up in the error box ...

Well, first of all, have you gone through the instructions at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=152 ???

Yes, no luck there.

The error message Outlook comes back with is:

"Task 'Spamcop - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' "

Yet the mail server is correct, as far as I can see the settings are all correct.

Regards,

What IP is pop.spamcop.net resolving to for your machine? It is working for me and resolving to 216.154.195.50 right now.

Can you ping pop.spamcop.net?

If imap.spamcop.net is working for you, I don't see why pop.spamcop.net would not be as they are currently the same server. Perhaps a typo or hidden garbage character in there somewhere? Try re-entering it completely.

Also, you will need to login with your complete email address for the username (user<at>spamcop.net though the error seems to indicate not reacing the server as opposed to an invalid account configuration.

Even entering the actual IP address (purely for testing not permanent change), it comes up with that error again:

Task 'Spamcop - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I guess it's time to start killing off Norton Antivirus, etc. :-o

guess who again %-)

I put that error code: 0x80042108 through Google and came up with their http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;318790

That puts the problem down to Symantec software

CAUSE

This behavior may occur if any of the following conditions is true:

* There are corrupted files on your hard disk.

* You are running Norton Personal Firewall 2002.

* You are running Norton Internet Security software.

* You have installed an update to Microsoft Office. 

Now I use Norton AV2004 not NPF or NIS which have been specifically indicated, and up until a couple of days ago, everything was working fine. I'm not aware of any recent updaates to NAV or Office.

Do you have the email scanner enabled in NAV? Perhaps if you disable that?

Another possibility is that the first message on the server is causing the problem. Could you move it (or all of them) to another folder and attempt to retrieve them a few at a time?

I moved all past messages to a Temp folder and let new mail arrive (it was after 3am after all ;) ) and the same error code is being generated for the new mail.

Email scanning has been disabled in NAV to no effect, even after a reboot, but I'm increasingly coming to the view that it is Outlook that is at fault <sigh>

Thanks for you help Steven, much appreciated.

I'm hoping that you'll verify that you've got some vision problems to justify the big blue letters.

From one of many reviews / press releases on Outlook 2003;

Office 2003 retains Check For Updates and Detect And Repair options in the Help menu. These features operate online; the former sniffs for updates or patches, and the latter repairs any damaged or corrupted application files. Often this resolves the problem.

Have you run it yet?

That you say IMAP works but POP doesn't, and you have verified the settings, is definitely a bit odd. So, after the attempted Repair option, do you have a Hosts file floating around (not Hosts.sam - which is a sample file .. just Hosts) if so, rename it and try again. Then move on to spyware tools like AdAware, SpyBot - Seach & Destroy, Pest Patrol, etc. ....

I'm hoping that you'll verify that you've got some vision problems

Does being registered blind count? ;-) I have limited vision in one eye, sorry if it jumps out at you from the screen.

I hadn't realised there was a Repair option - running that now, thank you.

Regards

Does being registered blind count? ;-)

Of course. What I wanted to head off was some possible mis-conception that you (and others in the future) felt that "we" needed the big print to notice that you had a question.

Here's hoping that some of the suggestions get you to a resolution! <g>

Tiffer,

Is there any problem with getting your instance of Outlook 2003 to pop from elsewhere (besides pop.spamcop.net and your ISP)? Perhaps POP3 traffic is being blocked between your PC and everywhere, or between your PC and the Internet beyond your ISP's firewall(s).

Why are you still using mail.spamcop.net rather than pop.spamcop.net?

When I try to telnet to pop.spamcop.net on the POP3 port (110), type "quit", and tap "Enter", I get the following. What do you get?

C:\&gt;telnet pop.spamcop.net 110
Connecting To pop.spamcop.net...
[screen clears]
+OK Hello there.
[type "quit" and tap "Enter"]
+OK Better luck next time.

Connection to host lost.

C:\&gt;

Thanks!

Jeff (and Steven) you are not going to believe this, I have not touched a thing on this computer by way of install/uninstall/updates, I just started up Outlook to see if a particular mail I was expecting was in the INBOX using the IMAP connection, the whole pack of POP3 mail came through while Outlook sat there with a "who me?" smirk! <GRRR>

I have to suppose it was something at my ISP or along the way, it is darned spooky! :blink:

Re: telnet, that worked fine and logged in even so no problem there, but then, the problem seems to have fixed itself before I telnetted so no clues there.

I've switched over to Opera so I can zoom the page up to 150% ;) so back to "normal" size text. Thanks for your patience and do you know anywhere that does grey hair replacements for bald spots? %-)

I'm glad it worked out for you. http://www.ronco.com/products/glhHairSystem.di4?productID=11 might help with that bald spot problem. :)

Also, Microsoft's Accessibility Accessories, Display Control Panel, and IE "View / Text Size" might help you to see what you want to see on your PC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:unsure: Just had a client with the same problem, running Win XP Home Ed., with Outlook 2002, on her Laptop (Acer Aspire 5002), and email would not connect to the incoming pop server.

I configured both her desktop and laptop with the same disks, and her desktop would connect and receive all emails. But switching to the laptop and using identical settings, which until today (April 4th, 2006) had worked perfectly, fails to connect to email servers.

Tried disabling NIS2005, both Firewall and Anti-virus, as well as Anti-spam. Reset the user accounts, and created a new one... correct settings, password, user name, etc... and these settings work on her desktop but not the laptop. Also could log into the Webserver and retrieve her emails with no problems - but not with POP3 in Outlook 2002 - which had been working perfectly till now.

Also tried the repair, restore application, and full Microsoft Office updates.

Wondering if it could be a synchronization/time out issue with certain hardware ?

Final Solution was to move her folders and adddress bookj to Outlook Express, and it worked fine... again with the same email account settings.

Any thoughts on this one ?

Any thoughts on this one ?

41813[/snapback]

It sounds like Outlook is corrupt on that system. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook, or even the entire Office package?

Archived