No body provided

hmjentsch

For the last month of so, when I submit a spam to spam cop it gives me a "No body provided, check format of submission" in red when I go to submit it. I submit via email not at the site. When I check my outgoing email, it has the spam attached. What am I doing wrong? Am I still reporting the spam?

For the last month of so

Does this mean that things used to work, now they don't? Why did it take a month to decide that there was an issue?

What am I doing wrong

Not enough data to even take a guess. Have you tried actually pasting your spam in the paste-your-spam-here page and had it go through? Have you gone through any of the set-up and submittal FAQs yet? For starters, as you didn't get around to stating anything, how about taking a look at http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html and see if there might be an answer there? If not, give "us" enough to go on as to what you're doing, how you're doing it, and what tools you're doing it with ....????

Am I still reporting the spam

Obviously not, if you're not getting to the checklist of report targets.

Nice to know that rudeness isn't a lost art. EVERYTHING is the same as I've been doing the last year...same copy/paste of headers, etc when it used to not give me that error message...and I'm not a professional at this so given that I'm doing everytrhing the exact same as before...when it worked just fine.

I'm still getting all the same information that it is reporting it to all the right servers, etc....just get the one error messages about body information.

I don't know whether you are referring to me or not (as far as rudeness). however, the link I gave you goes into all the possible problems that have cropped up recently - and the possible solutions.

If you want to solve the problem, then you will have to pay attention enough to give some feedback. I am not a professional either, and it is difficult sometimes to follow what those who are have to say. However, they are really just 'blunt' not rude and are very patient about walking the unprofessional through the steps it needs to solve a problem.

Also, this is not a "help desk" - we are just other users - if that helps you in your perception of how your post was answered. And it really works out much better than a help desk because if one doesn't know the answer, someone else might.

Miss Betsy

I don't know where you thought somene was being rude? They were simply answering a question with very little to go on and trying to help the best they could.

Now to be more rude:

What mail client do you use?

Did you upgrade it recently?

Then where is the spamcop help desk? Cause I haven't found it. As noted to the left..I am a newbie to this board...I am doing my reporting the exact same way for the last year and the last month to 6 weeks, I've seen that 'problem' in my reports...everything else is the same...only that one sentence was added.

I did not want to sign into this message board for help because I knew that I'd probably get flack from some for not being technical enough....

No..nothing here relates to my problem: http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html

No..this link doesn't seem to apply: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=866

My reports are the same as before just the 'no body' line in red now shows up.

Gone through the FAQ..nothing about this shows up that I can find...which is why I posted the problem here.

You've already called attempts to help as rude, so apparently I can't lose any more ground by actually saying what I'm thinking ... this is as close to a help desk as there is. If your reading comprehension is so low that you can't understand questions like "what mail client do you use" .. you can't take a hint when looking at a list of e-mail clients to choose from as an explanation for the first time I asked for just a bit more data, then I'm not sure where you're going to get help. There's but one or two people I can think of that would say anything about the "lack of technical expertise" ... but ignoring plain questions and straight suggestions to "fill in the blanks" isn't something that's covered by "I'm just a newbie" ... sorry.

Dear Wazoo,

Did you not read my reply? I did answer the questions in the order I read them...and answering them to what I think you mean. I can't do more than type it in the box.

Why did it take a month to decide that there was an issue?

as the rude post IMO and I answered why.

Again...I've had the spam cop for a while, when spam comes in, I copy/paste the headers to the email with the attached offending spam and send it to spam cop. I then get a link to go to the spamcop website to check and then do the final report. Everything is the same, except now on the second page of the report is the "No body provided, check format of submission" in red just under the link to the finalized spam report. Nothing else of any of the reports are any different and I did try to do the reporting from the spamcop website and it didn't give that same error message. I also checked my outgoing attachments and the offending spam is still intact and attached.

I copy/paste the headers to the email with the attached offending spam and send it to spam cop

Per the FAQ page referenced earlier, specifically http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/119.html page, you should be using Forward as Attachment or copy/paste the entire message including headers and body into a new message for Outlook Express. You should not be pasting just the headers and if that was working as you state, Julian did tighten up the code a short while back (but more that 6 weeks if I remember properly) to only accept proper formatting.

Proper formatting includes the headers of the spam, a blank line, then the body of the spam.

Did you not read my reply?

Apparently, you posted that while I was wrestling with what I wanted to say vice what I should say. Thanks for getting that bit started out.

Why did it take a month to decide that there was an issue?

as the rude post IMO and I answered why.

I've gone through this thing twice and I don't see an answer to that .. but whatever ..

What mail client do you use?

Outlook Express

I copy/paste the headers to the email with the attached offending spam and send it to spam cop

nothing here relates to my problem: http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html

Please go back to the referenced link. Step through it "Microsoft Products" .. Outlook Express ... at http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/119.html

There, you'll see the very first suggestion as "Forward as Attachment"

Your statement above of "copy the headers to the e-mail" sure seems like the obvious answer to your original query that referenced a "No body found" .... as you've described your actions, you're attaching the original spam to an e-mail, then copying over an additional set of "headers" into that e-mail ... which leaves the SpamCop parsing tool looking at three sets of header blocks for a single spam ... the original spam header, the one you copied over, and the one of the e-mail you're now sending. Sorry, but I can't really believe that this ever worked without an error. So you've either changed something in your configuration, your sequence, or you're not describing things accurately. But, none of this really matters at this point, as the "Forward as Attachment" works just fine with Outlook Express. (OK, there is an assumption that your not changing anything recently also implies you're up to date with the current version of OE, but that's yet another little tidbit not defined by you yet)

Sorry that was the wrong link.

I started a FAQ on this in the spamcop lounge, but no one has edited it so it probably won't be much help either.

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=862

You are not the only who has experienced sudden failures without apparent changes in the way they submit. And I am not sure that there is a quick answer.

And I am not technically fluent enough to be able to figure out why. Sometimes it seems to be related to misconfigured spam; sometimes it is because something has changed that mangles the headers before they get to spamcop.

Perhaps if you answer all of Wazoo's questions, he will be able to figure out why.

I know. He wants to know all kinds of things and can think of more things even when you answer him, but he does get things figured out.

Miss Betsy

Let me try one more time...I am sending my spam in to be reported in the correct manner prescribed by spamcop. Copy/paste the properties of the spam email, send it with the offending spam attached to them via email. It has worked for round about a year..then the last month or so I've gotten the one new line on my reports. The reports all appear to be the same except on the second page of the report is the new line with the error message. I have done a search of the spamcop help website with the keywords in the error message and got nothing. I've looked a the links given and don't see this error message.

Silly question, but since *yes* something has obviously changed, have you actually tried submitting spam as attachment(s) *without* copying and pasting the header information in "your" part of the forwarding email (which should, accordingly, have a blank body). If that hasn't worked, has your "display full headers" option - that's what it is with my (different) client - been turned on throughout? (It should be). Maybe you could post a report confirmation URL (with the munge option set) if none of that is the answer.

Sorry if this is just another run around and, to be sure, I'm far more of a newbie than you (obviously I have a much bigger mouth) but this has got to be a classic case of "the answer is too simple to believe", hasn't it? I refuse to believe nobody can help.

Okay...I'm going to attach part of a report so that maybe it will be more clear, since I have already posted that I do submit it according to spamcop requirements. Which is to copy the 'properties of the email.

Example:

Return-Path: <twbspowexwve[at]myfamily.com>

X-Original-To: hmjentsch[at]txcyber.com

Delivered-To: hmjentsch[at]txcyber.com

Received: from localhost (mx2.txcyber.com [208.21.200.24])

by portal.txcyber.com (Postfix) with ESMTP

id 7A098DF2E; Mon, 5 Apr 2004 05:39:22 -0500 (CDT)

Received: from c-24-12-208-192.client.comcast.net (c-24-12-208-192.client.comcast.net [24.12.208.192])

by mx2.txcyber.com (Postfix) with SMTP

id 535A370056; Mon, 5 Apr 2004 05:37:06 -0500 (CDT)

X-Message-Info: 5sacz49RND_LC_CHAR[1-3]HTA/psiLffaAkKoZ287Lp

Received: from bristle ([189.48.16.148])

by vm8.aurochs.handicapped.bicameral.animenation.com

(InterMail vT.6.85.86.77 46-6-0-48178-34366-289227) with ESMTP

id <925684.XRC58484.hkc6-mail.inattention.demote.net.cable.rogers.com[at]incredible>

for <hmeyer_4[at]txcyber.com>; Mon, 05 Apr 2004 16:39:47 +0500

Message-ID: <1773724RND_LC_CHAR[1-5]56259h$20544met87$984a4mq98[at]gangland>

Reply-To: "Avery Herrington" <twbspowexwve[at]myfamily.com>

To: Lorraine <hmeyer_4[at]txcyber.com>

Subject: I thought you might like this

Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 10:31:47 -0100

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

X-Virus-Scanned: by amavisd-new at txcyber.com

X-spam-Status: No, hits=4.3 tagged_above=-10.0 required=5.0

tests=HTML_MESSAGE, MIME_HTML_ONLY, RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET, RCVD_IN_SORBS,

RCVD_IN_SORBS_SOCKS

X-spam-Level: ****

X-UIDL: 1081161562.23760.portal.txcyber.com

***in an attachment is the offending email this belongs to. Then below is the report:

SpamCop version 1.3.4 © SpamCop.net, Inc. 1998-2004 All Rights Reserved

spam Header

This page may be saved for future reference:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z391977084z7b...e5e70829a83e7fz

Please make sure this email IS spam:

From: "Avery Herrington" <twbspowexwve[at]myfamily.com> (I thought you might like this)

On Átkíns

or the §oùth beaçh dïet? Don't have the ënergy

View full message

Report spam to:

Re: 24.12.208.192 (Administrator of network where email originates)

To: abuse[at]comcast.net (Notes)

Re: 24.12.208.192 (Third party interested in email source)

To: Cyveillance spam collection (Notes)

Re: http://gage.serbia.cowgirl.iterate.crag.hoagy.l... (Administrator of network hosting website referenced in spam)

To: spam[at]ms1.hinet.net (Notes)

Re: http://hush.punctuate.chemist.irreplaceable.ide... (Administrator of network hosting website referenced in spam)

To: spam[at]ms1.hinet.net (Notes)

Re:User Notification (Notes)

Here is where I click "Send spam Reports now" and I do and get this page:

Report another spam?

Welcome, Jentsch. You have 12.7M bytes available.

Your average reporting time is: 7 hours; Great!

Unreported spam Saved: Report Now

You have submitted spam which has not yet been reported.

***so now I click on the "Report Now" and get

SpamCop version 1.3.4 © SpamCop.net, Inc. 1998-2004 All Rights Reserved

spam Header

This page may be saved for future reference:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z391977083z13...99af3b3491b45fz

No body provided, check format of submission

If reported today, reports would be sent to:

Re: 24.12.208.192 (Administrator of network where email originates)

abuse[at]comcast.net

Re: 24.12.208.192 (Third party interested in email source)

spamcop[at]imaphost.com

Did you get a chance to read farelf's reply before you posted?

I can't remember now whether you ever stated that you were using Outlook Express. That is different than Outlook.

The people who have to copy and paste headers and bodies are those who use Outlook and Eudora if I understand correctly from reading different posts.

If you are using Outlook, then possibly there have been changes in the way that Outlook users have to submit. (I don't remember)

However, if you are using Outlook Express, there is no reason why you should have to copy and paste anything. You simply right click, select forward as attachment from the menu, and send. You don't have to even open the message source unless you want to check that it really is spam.

Possibly if you are using OE, your submissions worked ok until there was a change to accommodate some other system and now spamcop chokes on the 'double' submission. So why not try, the simple 'forward as attachment' and report back what happens.

Miss Betsy

since I have already posted that I do submit it according to spamcop requirements. Which is to copy the 'properties of the email.

That is not what the FAQ asks you to do, please go back and reread it. It specifically states using Forward as Attachment for Outlook Express. As an alternative, it states to copy/paste the source from properties into a new email, not forward the spam you have.

Update:New versions of Outlook Express 6 are reported to work correctly using forward-as-attachment. Please try this method first - is is much easier and faster. You can submit multiple spam messages at once.

With the mouse:

Click the "File" menu

Click "Properties"

Click the "Details" tab

Click "Message Source"

Highlight, copy and paste everything from this window (Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C)

With the mouse:

Click the "File" menu

Click "Properties"

Click the "Details" tab

Click "Message Source"

This is what I am doing...and trying to write that I have been doing. As per Betty's advice, I tried submitting a spam without the above..just forwarding the attached spam...and haven't even gotten a report back yet and it has been over an hour.

Perhaps it is just semantics, but you stated on 4-apr-2004 at 9:09 and as I quoted previously:

I copy/paste the headers to the email with the attached offending spam and send it to spam cop.

Simply copying the headers to the existing email is not what is being asked. You are supposed to create a new email message and

into this new message. If you are including the original body by forwarding (which is how I am reading your first quote above), that is not correct and might be affected by the tightening up of the code I mentioned.

Doing a Forward as Attachment is still the preferred method for this, however.

Steven, I *think* we are saying the same thing. I copy/paste the properties of the offending email, I put on a blank email with the spam attached by forwarding it as an attachment.. Did I make that even more confusing? At any rate..it has worked fine until recently. BTW, I finally got back the report on doing it the method Betsy suggest by sending the spam without the copy/paste of the properties and it seems to have went through...except the 'submit' form on the website was a bit different with only one step instead of two to submit.

As per Betty's advice, I tried submitting a spam without the above..just forwarding the attached spam...and haven't even gotten a report back yet and it has been over an hour.

It took me a long time to understand that forwarding and forwarding as attachment are two different things entirely.

When one is troubleshooting, it is important to be exact about what you do. So did you follow my instructions about right clicking, choosing forward as attachment, and sending?

If you did and there is no answer to your submission (though at this time of day some people experience a delay), then there is a problem in the first link I gave you about email submissions disappearing.

To check this, go to the web site and see if the Report Now button is there.

If your emails get to spamcop and you get error messages again, then you are probably getting the 'problem' spam or perhaps your email service is doing something to the headers (the service may have changed something in the last month and since spamcop has also changed, maybe they are not compatible any more).

Although it is a pain to do, if the people who understand these things can figure out what is going on, it will be very helpful to other people who experience the same thing (or perhaps help Julian fix a bug). So don't feel all this trouble is a waste of time.

Miss Betsy

Archived