Tackling the world’s worst – a workable solution

washmail

If you are looking at an end user's filter, have you looked at Mailwasher? It can be configured to use blocklists including spamcop's. Just don't use their 'bounce' function. And there is a why to report to spamcop.

I haven't used it, but I like the idea of using blocklists to filter. If you are looking at server level filters, why aren't you looking at spamassassin?

Miss Betsy

If you are looking at an end user's filter, have you looked at Mailwasher? It can be configured to use blocklists including spamcop's. Just don't use their 'bounce' function. And there is a why to report to spamcop.

I haven't used it, but I like the idea of using blocklists to filter. If you are looking at server level filters, why aren't you looking at spamassassin?

Miss Betsy

I've actually been using MailWasher for about 5 years (my spam problem is only a year old), and mostly report to SC that way - still the best tool I've had to date. But yes, it's a server level solution we're looking for.

As resellers we're in the middle, so spamassassin is not directly useful to us in this instance - we have little true server access or knowledge.

(However spamjadoo offers a direct intervention option, and solves(?) the bounce need, but of course it's too early to discuss this freshly discovered option(?) in any detail.)

Incidentally my ISP and SP both use spamassassin, but this hasn't led to any of the 'permanent' type of solutions I've been trying to determine/obtain here, and the way my ISP has previously misused or very poorly configured spamassassin has left a bad taste in that respect.

N.B.: I've recently been threatened, so am ending any further input on this thread at this stage.

(EDITED for accuracy.)

N.B.: I've recently been threatened, so am ending any further input on this thread at this stage.

"Threatened?" By your government, the CIA, Osama Bin Laden, or....? :blink:

Most server admins are using combinations of SA and RBL-based filtering/blocking, and it seems to work fairly well. If your provider isn't doing it well, find a better provider.

DT

"Threatened?" By your government, the CIA, Osama Bin Laden, or....? :blink:

Can't go into details, but there's been personal communication from the spammer for some time. I think he thinks I'm his toy or pet.

Most server admins are using combinations of SA and RBL-based filtering/blocking, and it seems to work fairly well. If your provider isn't doing it well, find a better provider.

Filtering is not the concern, but rather finding a maintenance free option without loosing too much (or anything - obviously preferred) on the false positive side.

My Spamjadoo summary;

Pros:

* I consulted some professionals who thought the product's combined offers were impressive and unique, potentialy a best solution.

* I googled it briefly and found only positive comment, including some professional opinion (from a user) which offered deeper insight, especially on their "greylisting" concept.

* My sign up for free trial was responded to immediately.

Cons:

* The initial instructions seem to be in the wrong order (first importance placed last?); quite a concern for someone who's never adjusted his MX settings before... (still hasn't)

* A suggestion to try their SMTP server first as a precaution made sense, but no SMTP address was given, and nothing obvious worked. The closest to connectivety I got was "550 Sender is Spammer" :(

* An initial webform enquiry hasn't been answered 2 days later.

* There's a lack of clear definition and needed basic info on the site.

So not for me at this stage. But it's a glimmer of light... :D

I'm done, topic, thread and all.

* A suggestion to try their SMTP server first as a precaution made sense, but no SMTP address was given, and nothing obvious worked. The closest to connectivety I got was "550 Sender is Spammer" :(

* An initial webform enquiry hasn't been answered 2 days later.

In all fairness I must just add that I did hear from them shortly after, and the test-server response of concern was due to them having not set me up yet.

I got a very pleasant & professional response, & have sent back a long list of questions & concerns.

We will see...

But it's up to anyone interested to find out for themselves.

I will only post again if there's serious concern (and do so in the correct forum for software issues).

Archived