ISP outbound filtering catching my reports!!!

CSA-90

Does anyone have a work around for when the ISP's outbound filtering is catching my reports to Spamcop?

I am not receiving any of the notifications letting me know that Spamcop has received my submission.

Some have found that copying in the ISP's abuse address when you email your submission to SC will work. Worth trying.

Failing that, read through E-Mail spam submittals blocked by your ISP if you haven't already - there may be something of help or at least, in some cases, the knowledge that you've done as much as you can.

Does anyone have a work around for when the ISP's outbound filtering is catching my reports to Spamcop?

I am not receiving any of the notifications letting me know that Spamcop has received my submission.

Your first sentence is indicating the problem is on the outbound direction. If that is the case, you would need to either use the cut/paste methiod which is not very efficient if you have lots of spam or find another way to email your spam out. For instance, if you are a spamcop email customer. you could use the SpamCop SMTP server for outgoing.

The second sentence indicates the issue could be as simple as the ISP blocking the return report. In that case, if you check your SpamCop reporting page a short time, which can vary from a couple minutes (lately) to an hour or so, you should see a link to process unreported spam.

Have you gone through the steps in the FAQ about this issue to determine where the problem lies?

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, my response to this and a PM has been much delayed due to my medical/personal issues over the last few months. Bringing a portion of the PM data to this Topic, but admitting to some bit of comfusion ....

We have been contact by a few of our customer stating that they are no longer able to send the spam emails to your domain to be reported.

They are not receiving the confirmation email stating that you have received it.

My thoughts are that the emails are being caught in our outbound spam filters.

Your initial post made it sound as if you were a SpamCop.net user. Your PM suggests that you are ComCast staff. In either case, outgoing e-mail problems have been described in a SpamCop FAQ entry 'here' .. referenced a couple of times directly. Have you yet looked at any of that traffic?

I am a Senior Technician with Comcast Customer Security Assurance and have engaged our Mail Engineers to look into this.

Per the referenced FAQ entry, ComCast issues would seem to include the variable that not all outgoing e-mail servers are running the same software (versions, actual codebase, etc.?) Some users were impacted ages ago, others seem to have only recently noted the problem.

However there must be a work around because we do not have that many customers contact us about this.

Back to just how many ComCast users are also SpamCop.net users, how many of those use their ComCast e-mail accounts to submit ther spam 'from', how many have determined that there really is an issue or have simply not aware that there is an issue, etc. etc. etc.

If you are aware of one could you please provide?

Uh, no ..... the real alternative would be you providing an address that a ComCast user would use to raise this specific issue with. Existing traffic generally seems to include that dialog with ComCast usually relates that ComCast does not block any outgoing e-mail ... proven wrong by a number of users 'here' ....

I also would like to have some tests done to see the percentages of the mail from Comcast to Spamcop to see the success and fail rates.

One of the suggested troubleshooting steps suggested has been to CC: a SpamCop.net submittal to another e-mail account on a non-ComCast account ... for those folks impacted, the results are that the e-mail shows up on the non-ComCast account, but nothing makes it to the SpamCop.net system. For those impacted, it appears that this result happens 100% of the time.

Also could you provide the email address in which the reports go to on the Spamcop end as well as the IP's in which they are delivered?

Each user has his/her own SpamCop.net submittal/e-mail address. The SpamCop.net Parsing & Reporting system has several receiving systems on-line. Providing those IP address seems non-productive, as the issue under discussion is that the ComCast outgoing e-mail servers involved simply drop/delete those outgoing e-mails .... such that searching the e-mail logs would provide no data, as the SMTP transaction is never attempted (to the SpamCop.net system)

Note; I am but a volunteer .... actual / direct contact to the paid-staff folks is documented in numerous places ..... for example, per the SpamCop FAQ as found here (links at the top of this very page) see the entry How can I contact a SpamCop representative?

It appears that Time Warner Road Runner has initiated blocking of outgoing messages too. I've been having the same issue, where none of my reports show up, unless I copy-and-paste them. This has detered me from reporting, since I receive too much spam to report manually.

I've contacted Road Runner tech support, and they said they don't block outgoing messages. I've already tried everything in the FAQ. When I send a test message to spamcop, it shows up. But any spam messages I forward, never show up. So I'm not sure what is going on, but my forwarded spam is being blocked somewhere. I'm about to give up reporting entirely, unless I can get this resolved. Road Runner tech support and the FAQ did not resolve my problem.

I've contacted Road Runner tech support, and they said they don't block outgoing messages. I've already tried everything in the FAQ. When I send a test message to spamcop, it shows up. But any spam messages I forward, never show up. So I'm not sure what is going on, but my forwarded spam is being blocked somewhere. I'm about to give up reporting entirely, unless I can get this resolved. Road Runner tech support and the FAQ did not resolve my problem.

Call me silly, but ..... in addition to the various FAQ entries (here) .... I don't see where you attempted what I documented in my last post here. Send a SpamCOp.net spam submittal, but include a CC: to a non-RoadRunner e-mail account to see if it makes it to either target address. If it makes it to the non-RoadRunner account, you will then have a set of headers to provide in your next query to RoadRunner, asking how one e-mail made it and the other one didn't. If the e-mail doesn't make to either target address, you at least have a Date/Time in your outgoing (assumedly, you'll save a copy of your outgoing???) to provide then a reference point to actually look at their outgoing or handling logs.

Worst mistake anyone can make is to auto accept the email account one gets frm your ISP

Try the thread here for the worlds best and only email account one needs

It appears that Time Warner Road Runner has initiated blocking of outgoing messages too.
The RoadRunner postmaster advises me that he has punched a hole in their outbound filters that will allow spam submissions to be delivered when they're addressed to our "submit" and "quick" addresses.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Archived