[Resolved] Email Submissions Now Broken???

loyaz

I received the following message on a half dozen files I sent to spam Cop today:

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:

What does this mean and why did it happen?

Thanks for any help

Diane

I've been submitting via email for a long time, but now SpamCop is responding that it can't find the spam in my email. Everything worked perfectly until some time this afternoon when all submissions are rejected. Nothing on my side has changed. I filter the spam to delete html that SpamCop doesn't like and it looks fine to me. I can still submit on the web with the identical content as I send in an email. Submitting on the web works just fine.

What changed?

Thanks,

d.

Just wanted to add that this problem has happened to me too for the last few hours, and is still happening as at the time of this post. I hope it can be resolved soon. ;)

I can also confirm the problem. I just re-submitted todays pile of spam, and all were bounced for the second time.

spam submissions have been failing for almost 10 hours now. Isn't anyone there monitoring what is happening?

From here I'm seeing just one or two failing in this way - Bouncing back with, "SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:"

Re-submitting via the web interface worked (though did fail once).

This is the tracking URL of one that wouldn't work via email, but did (2nd time around) via the web.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1680446052zd...bbe9e26fc91413z

I still have the original spam email as received if it would help anyone to unravel this..

Fight the good fight!

I've been getting the same error since yesterday on all mail I forward to spamcop for processing ...

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:

Going to the web page and manually paste the same spam into the form and it works fine, but is very tedious when you have dozens of messages to process. :angry:

spam submissions have been failing for almost 10 hours now. Isn't anyone there monitoring what is happening?
...No one here (well, almost no one -- SpamCop staff visit here on rare occassions) can monitor -- we're all just users like you.

...Have any of you contacted the SpamCop Deputies (deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net) about this?

...No one here (well, almost no one -- SpamCop staff visit here on rare occassions) can monitor -- we're all just users like you.

Don't they monitor the functioning of their own system? There has been no public recognition that they even know there has been a fatal problem for over 16 hours. Is there anything on the newsgroups?

Sorry, I don't have access to the SpamCop newsgroups. Have you checked them?

I hadn't subscribed in a long time, but this is what I just found posted at 9:22 EST::

Path: news.spamcop.net!not-for-mail

Newsgroups: spamcop.help,spamcop,spamcop.geeks

Subject: Errors encountered ....

Followup-To: spamcop

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:21:50 -0500

Organization: SpamCop

We are getting reports of this problem and we are looking into it. I

have no ETA for resolution and no further details at this time. When I

know more, y'all will know more.

Thanks for your patience!

Followups set to spamcop

Ellen

SpamCop

I hadn't subscribed in a long time, but this is what I just found posted at 9:22 EST::
...Thanks!

I'm thinking that Don D'Minion qualifies as "SpamCop staff" (doesn't he?)
...Absolutely!
and he visits and posts frequently.

DT

...Not nearly often enough, in my opinion, considering how much value he adds when he does contribute.

Appears to be working now.

I can confirm that. Just receiving the normal "[spamCop] Quick reporting data" emails now. Thanks...

I've noted the deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net email address in case something like this happens again.

Funny that no sysadmins noticed the sudden dramatic increase in these sort of bounces, nor the presumed matching dramatic drop in numbers of valid reports by emails.

I've noted the deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net email address in case something like this happens again.

Funny that no sysadmins noticed the sudden dramatic increase in these sort of bounces, nor the presumed matching dramatic drop in numbers of valid reports by emails.

This has happened before.

You seem to be of the opinion that emailed reports are the bulk of what is received. While it may be true, I would assume that quick reports from webmail users may be a larger percentage and I had no problems reporting the few I had that way today.

You seem to be of the opinion that emailed reports are the bulk of what is received. While it may be true, I would assume that quick reports from webmail users may be a larger percentage and I had no problems reporting the few I had that way today.

Quick reporting by Email appeared to be working yesterday - at least I had no failures.

To be fair, the deputies did respond once their working day had started but the issue began in the night hours for the USA.

Andrew

The emails aren't bounces, they're error responses.

The system has alarms to alert us to all sorts of server, system, and database problems, so that the duty engineer can reboot a server, or restart a database run, or take down a failing database slave, but a sudden spike in error messages or drop in reporting isn't something we can reliably set alerts for. There isn't any way to tell the difference between a unique system problem and a flood of user errors.

In this case, we experienced a problem that is unique in my experience, and which required an engineer who knows about the details of the SpamCop code. All we can do in cases like this is wait for the users to report the problem, try to figure out what's really going on, do some testing on our own, and then explain the problem to our development engineer staff.

The deputies were aware of the problem very early on, but we had to wait until the right guys came to work in Pacific Time and read their email. The problem was fixed only an hour and a half after the start of business in San Bruno.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

• 4 weeks later...

The same problem is back.

The error messages we're seeing are being caused by the headers of the "carrier" message somehow getting combined with the headers of the spam that's being submitted. When SpamCop looks for the spam it's supposed to report, it can't find the spam headers because they're mixed with the other headers, so the parse balks and generates the error message.

We have been having serious server overload issues the last day or so. There have been problems all through the system. I suspect the errors are being caused by the server problems.

Our guys have been working on the system all night. We're hopeful that things are nearly back to normal.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Archived