Configuring Outlook 2007

I have half a dozen different accounts that I wish to go through spamcop email system and back out again to outlook 2007. I need to be able to send email from these accounts so I am trying to pop them in and out of spamcop.

Outlook does not appear to permit an account to be set up with only smtp or pop. It has to be both.

I have set up my gmail account to forward to spamcop. All others are to be popped in and out of spamcop.

I have set up accounta and accountb (both web service accounts rather than ISPs) at spamcop to pop into spamcop. Test emails sent to both addresses appear on the server.

The I set both accounts to pop spamcop (with config below). Half an hour after this the test emails vanish from the SpamCop server but have not appeared in my inbox.

I can send an email to my gmail account and it appears in my inbox, but nothing from my gmail account appears.

Account configuration

On Outlook the config is:

email address : myname[at]service.com

incoming mail: pop.spamcop.net

outgoing : smtp.service.com

logon info:

user name : myname[at]spamcop.net

password : spamcop password

Then, under more settings I have

Outgoing SMTP requires authorisation

logon: myname[at]service.com

password: service password

I would be very pleased if anyone could make sense of this as I am losing the plot somewhat.

Many thanks

I have half a dozen different accounts that I wish to go through spamcop email system and back out again to outlook 2007. I need to be able to send email from these accounts so I am trying to pop them in and out of spamcop.

Outlook does not appear to permit an account to be set up with only smtp or pop. It has to be both.

POP would be incoming (to the client) only. SMTP is for outgoing.

I have set up my gmail account to forward to spamcop. All others are to be popped in and out of spamcop.

I have set up accounta and accountb (both web service accounts rather than ISPs) at spamcop to pop into spamcop. Test emails sent to both addresses appear on the server.

So far so good...

The I set both accounts to pop spamcop (with config below). Half an hour after this the test emails vanish from the SpamCop server but have not appeared in my inbox.
You can not have the messages pop back into the same account it came from or you generate a loop and the messages will keep bouncing back and forth. I believe if spamcop sees that, it will delete the messages, but I'm not sure.

You should just setup Outlook to POP the SpamCop account and use the SPamCop SMTP server for outgoing. Outlook Express has someting called Identities so different outgoing email can have different addresses. I've never setup Outlook in other than an Exchange environment, but it probably has something similar.

It would look something like this: Multiple incoming email accounts >POP or forward> SpamCop >POP> Outlook >SMTP> Multiple outgoing email addresses

POP would be incoming (to the client) only. SMTP is for outgoing.

Yes, what I meant was in SpamCop I POP the email accounts to get the email in. Then From Outlook I POP SpamCop to get the incoming mail. Sorry, I wasn't clear.

You can not have the messages pop back into the same account it came from or you generate a loop and the messages will keep bouncing back and forth. I believe if spamcop sees that, it will delete the messages, but I'm not sure.

I think that's the above misunderstanding

You should just setup Outlook to POP the SpamCop account and use the SPamCop SMTP server for outgoing. Outlook Express has someting called Identities so different outgoing email can have different addresses. I've never setup Outlook in other than an Exchange environment, but it probably has something similar.

It would look something like this: Multiple incoming email accounts >POP or forward> SpamCop >POP> Outlook >SMTP> Multiple outgoing email addresses

Outlook does not have Identities (this isn't OE) and as it does not appear to let you set up an email account that is SMTP only or POP only you cannot set up a SpamCop account as a POP only with the other accounts as SMTP only (which was my logical thought)> This is Microsoft after all! Setting up multiple accounts is no problem at all, but they must have both POP and SMTP.

Outlook does not have Identities (this isn't OE) and as it does not appear to let you set up an email account that is SMTP only or POP only you cannot set up a SpamCop account as a POP only with the other accounts as SMTP only (which was my logical thought)> This is Microsoft after all! Setting up multiple accounts is no problem at all, but they must have both POP and SMTP.

Can you set them up all to use the same SpamCop POP/SMTP but only have it POP one of the accounts?

Outlook does not have Identities (this isn't OE)

I use Outlook 2003. This has what Outlook calls "Profiles", and I would be very surprised if Outlook 2007 doesn't have them. I am a longtime user of Outlook and it always has had "Profiles" They are a little hard to find. You have to go (preferably with Outlook closed) to your Control Panel and double-click the icon "Mail". Click "Show Profiles". You will see one called "Outlook". Copy this one to a new name. To create an associated mail account, access this "Wizard" via Properties of the account.

I have two profiles:

Profile 1:

E-mail smtps out via SpamCop SMTP AUTH;

E-mail is collected from SpamCop using POP3.

Profile 2:

E-mail smtps out via my other e-mail provider's SMTP AUTH

E-mail is collected from SpamCop using POP3.

Hope this helps.

Spamnophobic, you've set me on the right track. Outllook 2007 does indeed have profiles as you described. However before I set them up, I thought I'd seen something similar.

I set up all email accounts, both spamcop and the others in the normal way in outlook using the smtp and pop settings for each unique account.

Then select Tools > Send/Receive > Send/Receive Settings > Define Send/Receive Groups.

The default group is called All Accounts and it sends and receives from all email accounts.

Set up another group for receive only, deselecting the ticked 'send mail', and add spamcop account to it so it receives only.

Go through all the other accounts in the 'All Accounts' and untick the 'receive mail' for them.

So you have one group to send mail, and another to receive mail just as described with profiles only this is within Outlook.

I'll monitor it for the next few days but that would appear to be it. B)

Spamnophobic, you've set me on the right track. Outllook 2007 does indeed have profiles as you described.

This Topic has actually cheered me up immensely. Thanks to all involved.

In my case, my wonderfully responsive Win-98SE development system with Office-97/Outlook-98 installed bit the dust last year. I have various XP systems running, both Home and Pro, but .... no way do I want to try to install Ofice-97 on them, going back to Microsoft's installation code in that package, forcefully ovwewriting numberous Windows files, based on the fact that Microsoft wanted to make sure that one ended up with the "most current files" of that day .... I've already had more than enough issues with resolving XP install, upgrade, re-install issues ... don't feel like experimenting with attempting to try this install ...

I was sent an unopened Office-2000 package by an old friend ... a corporate warehouse clean-up which had many unopened software packages headed directly to the dumpster .... but, as above, have not really wanted to try an install of this onto an XP system, not knowing how bad it maight also hose up the XP system.

Simply stating that I have no way of providing an answer to this Topic's question. That this Forum provided exactly what it was meant to do ... a user-to-user experience of exchanging data, knowledge, answers, thoughts, and ideas ..... fantastic!!!

Again, thanks to all involved. Hoping to tag this one as Resolved soon.

Archived