[Resolved] Quick Reporting results in dozens of separate email reports

Ex_Brit

I know that there was some outage yesterday for maintenance somewhere so not sure if that caused this. Now, when using Quick Reporting from the SC webmail servers I get dozens of separate email reports in my inbox instead of perhaps one or two at the max.

It seems that SC now only reports at the maximum 3 spams per report.

Is this by design? If so, it's very annoying.

I woke up this morning to 44 emails in my inbox - 40 of which were SC reports.

Yes, I am noticing the same phenomenon for 2 days now, VERY annoying!

I hope they can get it fixed.

BTW: Am I the only one noticing a doubling of spam or worse?

Look in the Lounge - there is a topic there about an increase in spam.

Miss Betys

BTW: Am I the only one noticing a doubling of spam or worse?

I used to average under 50 spams a day, now it is well over 100 for the last 2-3 weeks.

I have not noticed this, but starting yesterday I was able to tweak our corporate whitelist and I only received 2 spam.

I have not noticed this, but starting yesterday I was able to tweak our corporate whitelist and I only received 2 spam.

I should have said in Held Mail. I am getting a few extra spam in Inbox but tons in held...

Seems to have been fixed.

Nope, I just got three more of them!

I meant that the problem with reports is fixed which is what the thread was started for. As far as the number of spam messages one gets, well, that is obviously a variable and no one can forecast whether it's going to go up or down.

I meant that the problem with reports is fixed which is what the thread was started for. As far as the number of spam messages one gets, well, that is obviously a variable and no one can forecast whether it's going to go up or down.

You didn't read my response very carefully.

The Quick Reports are still messed up: I get multiple messages with only 1 or 2 per confirmation still, same as yesterday.

David

You didn't read my response very carefully.

I am reading your posts carefully. A bit confusing as you choose to slide from one subject to another.

Particularly troubling is Linear Post #4 in this Topic. Just what are you trying to do with a post like that? Your attempt to make it look like Miss Betsy made that post is a bit dumbfounding, even including the typo ....

Well, whatever he/she is trying to do, the problem is still with us. I quick reported a whole bunch of spam emails last night before retiring for the night and this morning I'm greeted with a couple of dozen spam reports instead of just one or perhaps two that I would normally get.

I am reading your posts carefully. A bit confusing as you choose to slide from one subject to another.

Particularly troubling is Linear Post #4 in this Topic. Just what are you trying to do with a post like that? Your attempt to make it look like Miss Betsy made that post is a bit dumbfounding, even including the typo ....

Ahem!

SOMEONE other than I edited my post. I made no attempt to make it look like Miss Betsy! I wouldn't know how.

And the problem CLEARLY is NOT fixed: I have a dozen responses with 1-3 messages per response. Please, let's get this fixed.

David (not Betsy!)

PS: would whoever is responsible remove Wazoo's inappropriate remark and fix my prior post?

PS: would whoever is responsible remove Wazoo's inappropriate remark and fix my prior post?

It doesn't look like anyone edited your post - at least there's no 'EDIT' flag on the message. If you don't remember typing the misleading reference to 'Miss Betys' then perhaps you were editing a quote or similar in your original message and it got left in the post in error.

Anyway... to the issue in hand.

I'm confused about how Ex Brit is reporting these original messages which generate these errors.

I can see that these are Quick Reports. Are you submitting your reports by Email submission, from the VER interface or from within your SpamCop Email account?

I use quick reporting from the Email account interface and as Email attachments. I am not receiving any spam reports. However, I do have the quick reporting turned off in the VER interface: http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=showadvanced under Quick Data Reports. Could this setting be useful for you?

Or could your Email address have been added on the same page under 'Personal copies of outgoing reports' in error?

Andrew

I'm not familiar with this terminology but I'm using the Quick Reporting in either webmail.Spamcop.net or mailsc.Spamcop.net.

I never use email submission.

I don't want to turn off Quick Reporting as it is a useful tool and this behaviour has only just started happening.

So it would appear that it's nothing that I have done as none of my settings have been changed by me in ages.

I have emailed service[at]spamcop.net about it.

Maybe I should clarify. When I'm in SC Mail I'm checking a whole page of emails to report at one time...that would be equivalent to using the quick reporting feature in the "VER" interface as you call it.

Maybe I should clarify. When I'm in SC Mail I'm checking a whole page of emails to report at one time...that would be equivalent to using the quick reporting feature in the "VER" interface as you call it.

Actually, that is equivalent to someone submitting those messages via email to the quick.* address. In webmail, I don't use any reply to my reporting. For my work (free) account, I do full reporting via email from Outlook and get the reply but right now am only receiving one or two a day.

Using the VER interface is working on the reporting system directly while accessing the messages on a remote system. Using webmail, you are accessing the messages locally and sending them to the reporting system.

Whatever. Something has changed and I don't like it.

Addendum:

I just received a report and this one did include a whole bunch of SC reports as normal, so maybe this is an intermittent failure somewhere, a server maybe?

I think it really was 'Miss Betsy' and it happened again when I tried to answer this post. I usually just use the 'add reply' but wanted to use the quote (as I do now). I thought I had used 'reply' under the post, but I remember I was confused because the
s weren't there, but I was very tired (which accounts for the typo, too).

Just now I did the same thing. Very tired again (spent last night on a cot in a shelter - as a Red Cross worker, not disaster client). However, I could have sworn I had hit the reply button, but it was edit. Forearmed is forewarned (or vice versa) and I think I have corrected it.

Miss Betsy

<snip>

And the problem CLEARLY is NOT fixed: I have a dozen responses with 1-3 messages per response. Please, let's get this fixed.

...I trust you realize no one here is able to do that? Ex-Brit took the appropriate action.
...AFAIK, only Wazoo or JT can do that. I think they are the only ones that can see the history (if there is history).
It doesn't look like anyone edited your post - at least there's no 'EDIT' flag on the message.

<snip>

...Unfortunately, when a member who has a certain privilege level edits a post, the default is to not set the EDIT flag, so if such a member edited the post (either intentionally or unintentionally -- I presume the latter) and did not explicitly turn on the flag, it would not be there.

I don't want to turn off Quick Reporting as it is a useful tool and this behaviour has only just started happening.

So it would appear that it's nothing that I have done as none of my settings have been changed by me in ages.

Hi Ex_Brit!

I wasn't suggesting you turn off quick reporting but that you check the two settings I referred to. Changing those settings could resolve the issue. As you no note in another post, something has changed. However, since very few others are reporting the symptoms it may be a hiccup that affects your account rather than system wide. Resetting the values for:

Quick Data Reports (which I previously and misleadingly referred to 'quick reporting')

and/or

Personal copies of outgoing reports

might resolve your hassle with a small amount of intervention. I realise it doesn't identify what has changed for you but if it fixes the issue then it may be the easiest route :)

HTH

Andrew

I wasn't suggesting you turn off quick reporting but that you check the two settings I referred to. Changing those settings could resolve the issue. As you no note in another post, something has changed. However, since very few others are reporting the symptoms it may be a hiccup that affects your account rather than system wide. Resetting the values for:

Quick Data Reports (which I previously and misleadingly referred to 'quick reporting')

and/or

Personal copies of outgoing reports

might resolve your hassle with a small amount of intervention. I realise it doesn't identify what has changed for you but if it fixes the issue then it may be the easiest route :)

Hi Andrew,

What threw me was that nothing has changed in years as far as my settings go, apart from activating greylisting in the mail interface and that was ages ago.

You stated previously..

I use quick reporting from the Email account interface and as Email attachments. I am not receiving any spam reports. However, I do have the quick reporting turned off in the VER interface: http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=showadvanced under Quick Data Reports. Could this setting be useful for you?

Or could your Email address have been added on the same page under 'Personal copies of outgoing reports' in error?

I have just turned off "Quick Data Reports" although I really would prefer to get reports, just not one report for every spam in a list of 40 -50 which I've reported together.

I never had anything entered under the "Personal copies of outgoing reports".

ob1db said he/she was getting the same.

I haven't heard a peep from the SC deputies...rather odd, they are usually quick to reply.

I have just turned off "Quick Data Reports" although I really would prefer to get reports, just not one report for every spam in a list of 40 -50 which I've reported together.

I entirely understand your puzzlement. But not receiving any reports may be the best short term answer. Using quick reporting I tend to view confirmation reports from SpamCop as somewhat irrelevant so having the Quick Data Reports off works well for me.

If this stops the flood reaching your mailbox then you have a chance to take the issue forward with the deputies. I'll look forward to your update when the reasons become clear.

FWIW... I just enabled Quick Data Reports and then submitted a couple of spam items by a quick method. Actually I sent one via the VER interface and one from the webmail interface. Interestingly I got just one Quick Data Report back summarising both submissions and all the reports relating to both items of spam were in the one report.

I guess this tends to indicate an issue specific to individual users rather than system wide.

Andrew

Good news, I think!

Just submitted over 100 spams for Quick Reporting via the Webmail interface. Sat back and waited for the expected onslaught of reports.

Got a single report for 30 or so of them IN ONE EMAIL, just like the old days and one for 5 or 6. Let's hope it holds.

I did receive one disturbing email: it had 4 trackers with no results at all on it. When I clicked on each one, the system acted as though they had been reported via the VER system for full reporting, which I did.

I am hoping this is NOT a symptom of a new failure!

I reported it to the Deputies and to Support (at) spamcop.net as well.

David

PS: thanks, Miss Betsy for exonerating me and for your help.

Archived