Blank Spam Email

p7272

Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 20:11:14 +0000 (GMT)

X-Comment: Sending client does not conform to RFC822 minimum requirements

X-Comment: Date has been added by Maillennium

Received: from pool-68-161-207-54.ny325.east.verizon.net ([68.161.207.54])

by sccrmxc12.comcast.net (sccrmxc12) with SMTP

id <20040405201112s1200g23uje>; Mon, 5 Apr 2004 20:11:13 +0000

X-Originating-IP: [68.161.207.54]

Return-Path: <wpspxuuootis[at]nycmail.com>

Received: from whatever.mail.demountable.com ([8.248.211.196])

by penguin (ambrosial SMTP Server) with SMTP id U[7

The above header info is from a blank email that I get every now and then. It has no from and no subject, but I get it. I try to report it, but spamcop can not process the email. I tried emailtracker pro from visualware.com and it says that it came from

8.248.211.196. Why can't spamcop see the same result??? And is this result correct??? :mellow:

I would assume it came from an infected machine on a verizon dsl account..

Received: from pool-68-161-207-54.ny325.east.verizon.net ([68.161.207.54])

Those messages are so much fun, they also seem to make most windows antivirus programs terminate the connection/hang it up..

I guess comcast should just filter those messages out..

I suspect that the viruses broadcast them out to a spammer's program that is looking for a blank message to tell them the I.P. of a system that they can remotely control.

They send them to other addresses so that the ones sent to a spammer will not stand out.

If you can convince your mail server operator to use the sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org to reject known spam sources, you will not see many of these.

-John

Personal Opinion Only

Could you tell me more about bl-xbl.spamhaus.org??? Think about it, I call Comcast tech support, tell them about the issue and to use bl-xbl.spamhaus.org and then the questions will start. I have to know what I'm talking about before suggesting something. ;)

I tried emailtracker pro from visualware.com and it says that it came from 8.248.211.196. Why can't spamcop see the same result??? And is this result correct???

SpamCop didn't see it (of course, it never got around to looking at much due to the bad shape of what's been provided) .. but no, it is no where close to being in the same ballpark as "correct" ... This sure doesn't say much for the "pro" version of this emailtracker app.

Archived