Yahoo! forward as MIME?

mrbungle

Hi, mrbungle,

...First: can you please explain what your question has to do with the SpamCop Parsing and Reporting Service? I suspect you posted to the wrong Forum and intended to post in the SpamCop Lounge ("This forum is for discussion of pretty much anything that doesn't quite fit the other specific Help Forum categories, to include rants and raves!"). If that's the case, please either let me know or just let this inquiry expire (end of day Eastern US time Thursday, 24 April, 2008) and I will move it for you.

...Next, as to the content of your question: in my free Yahoo!Mail account (classic version -- I didn't like the new version as much), I have the following forwarding options (under "General Preferences" section labeled "Message Actions"):

• Forward as inline text
  • Forward as an attachment

These are toggles -- only one may be turned on. Does this bear any relationship to what you are asking or is it something entirely different?

First: can you please explain what your question has to do with the SpamCop Parsing and Reporting Service? I suspect you posted to the wrong Forum and intended to post in the SpamCop Lounge

...Next, as to the content of your question: in my free Yahoo!Mail account (classic version -- I didn't like the new version as much), I have the following forwarding options (under "General Preferences" section labeled "Message Actions"):

• Forward as inline text
  • Forward as an attachment

These are toggles -- only one may be turned on. Does this bear any relationship to what you are asking or is it something entirely different?

It has to do with reporting, as I previously could forward my e-mails to the Forward To: address on the spamcop.net reporting page. When I go to General Preferences => Message Actions all I have as settings are:

Moving/Deleting messages: go to next message afterwards

go back to original folder afterwards

This worked as of yesterday, and like you I kept the 'classic version', specifically because I lost the ability to choose how forwarded messages were attached in the new version.

The reporting error message I receive from SpamCop AutoResponder starts with:

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

Message forwarded in html wrapper.

When forwarding spam, use a MIME attachment or text-type message with

the spam enclosed. Do not send spam in HTML format. Sometimes this

error is caused by using a "resend" feature to forward spam.

HTML spam should be sent in text (source code) format.

It has to do with reporting, as I previously could forward my e-mails to the Forward To: address on the spamcop.net reporting page.

<snip>

...Thanks, I'll leave your post here, then. Of course, someone else, less easily convinced, might come along and move it.

...FWIW, what I do is "Forward as an attachment" to my SpamCop reporting address. Frankly, I don't ever remember seeing the Yahoo forwarding option you describe and I've been reporting from my Yahoo address for several years, now. Of course, my memory ain't none too good, so I can't swear to it never having been there! :) <g>

It has to do with reporting, as I previously could forward my e-mails to the Forward To: address on the spamcop.net reporting page. When I go to General Preferences => Message Actions all I have as settings are:

Moving/Deleting messages: go to next message afterwards

go back to original folder afterwards

I have to offer that you may have run into a browser issue, so the usual suggestion is to shut down the browser, clear cache, history, etc., restart browser and try again. What you describe I see as the first set of options list on the page found by following Options | General Preferences | scrolling down to Message Actions ... The items Steve described are the first of five more option items in that block on my screen.

I also have to agree with Steve that I don't recall any MIME settings offered either. Not sure at all why such a setting would be offered, going back to most folks wouldn't have clue what MIME meant in the first place.

I have to offer that you may have run into a browser issue, so the usual suggestion is to shut down the browser, clear cache, history, etc., restart browser and try again. What you describe I see as the first set of options list on the page found by following Options | General Preferences | scrolling down to Message Actions ... The items Steve described are the first of five more option items in that block on my screen.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll give that a shot. I use Firefox under Windows XP, so maybe it needs a little cleaning.

I too have been reporting UCE from my Yahoo! account for years now, which is why I was annoyed when it seemed to stop working. I was worried they were pushing some of the 'features' from the new mail into the 'classic' without warning. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, that didn't make any difference. I cleared the cache and all cookies, same thing. That option does not show up under general preferences, and it will not allow me to forward MIME attachment. It also does not show me full headers by default like it used to.

Nope, that didn't make any difference. I cleared the cache and all cookies, same thing. That option does not show up under general preferences, and it will not allow me to forward MIME attachment. It also does not show me full headers by default like it used to.

Not sure what to tell you, as you are the only one that can see/manipulate your screens. A couple of us have seemed to have matching screens with all 'needed' data, there's a lack of anyone else stumbling in here and posting thier 'me too' responses ... passing on your login detals to your Yahoo account to one of the 'works for me' folks here would perhaps allow them to 'see' what the difference between your screens and thiers/ours ....

That also goes back to that there isn't much paid-staff support found in here, so you'd be dealing with volunteers .. much of a trust issue involved in handing over your login details to an unknown entity. This is the kind of stuff that the PM system is used for.

<snip>

It also does not show me full headers by default like it used to.

...It used to do that? That would be a great feature, I wish I'd known about it when it was offered (and, of course, I wish it still were offered)!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem and have been for a few days since Yahoo changed Yahoo Mail. I've given up on trying to forward the spam to Spamcop and just delete it instead. If some people still have access to the options could YAhoo be taking action against some of us that forward mail?

Jason

I can use the 'Classic' interface and this still offers inline or attachment options. If I switch to the new upgraded interface those options no longer exist. Looks like a difference between the two interfaces. If you want the forward as attachment option you may need to switch back to the classic interface.

Andrew

I can use the 'Classic' interface and this still offers inline or attachment options. If I switch to the new upgraded interface those options no longer exist. Looks like a difference between the two interfaces. If you want the forward as attachment option you may need to switch back to the classic interface.

I still use the classic interface, and I have no option to forward as an attachment, I have a little button at the bottom to view full headers and change the encoding which are recent additions.

Wonder if it's only been changed on one set of servers so far ie. Uk

Jason

Wonder if it's only been changed on one set of servers so far ie. Uk

Yes, it is known that there are major differences between the various 'internationalized' Yahoo servers/systems. If that is something involved with this Topic, then one would have to point to all those How to ask a good question links and point out .... none of the queries thus far have been very forthcoming on such an important detail.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like after you get full headers going on the new Yahoo system, you have to hold down the Ctrl button, and then hit forward, for your email to be sent as a attachment. This seems to solve the problem of reporting to Spamcop, because it went through for me this time, while trying it the old way, my reports came back with an error message

It looks like after you get full headers going on the new Yahoo system, you have to hold down the Ctrl button, and then hit forward, for your email to be sent as a attachment.

Data not provided. aztecace posted from a U.S.-based Domain, implying that yahoo.com is in use.

• 2 months later...

Archived