Sent mail - auto saving

Is there a way to have any sent message automatically saved to a sent mail folder? And I mean a folder on the server, not on a local device. I figured out how to auto create a drafts folder.

Gmail does this but the gmail domain is banned from so many places that I wound up here.

Is there a way to have any sent message automatically saved to a sent mail folder? And I mean a folder on the server, not on a local device. I figured out how to auto create a drafts folder.

Strange ... my recollection was that this was the default configuration.

Options | Personal Information | scroll down to the bottom of that page

I'm not really sure what you might mean by "auto create" a Drafts folder. Creating, renaming, etc. Folders is under another Options link.

Saving sent messages does work if I send them from Internet Explorer. It does not work with Outlook Express if I send messages using SMTP for sending and IMAP for reading. Gmail does not have this problem. I tried ports 25 and 587 for SMTP.

Saving sent messages does work if I send them from Internet Explorer.

Technically, you are using the WebMail application to send e-mail when you are using a web-browser.

It does not work with Outlook Express if I send messages using SMTP for sending and IMAP for reading.

Normally, if one wants to save a copy of sent e-mail under OE, one would configure OE to save that copy. That way it's on 'your' system such that you can then do other things with it, like make backups of the folders, for instance.

Please take a look at the SpamCop FAQ entries here dealing with the size limits of the SpamCop.net e-mail accounts, to include the possible performance issues when the Folders get too huge. That system hasn't been built to be used as a massive storage dump. One of small tradeoffs for only having a cost of $30 a year. On the other hand, IMAP offers a lot of magic, if you really have the need.

Technically, you are using the WebMail application to send e-mail when you are using a web-browser.

Normally, if one wants to save a copy of sent e-mail under OE, one would configure OE to save that copy. That way it's on 'your' system such that you can then do other things with it, like make backups of the folders, for instance.

I don't care what is normal. I specifically said in the beginning of the thread that I want the sent mail saved on the server. And as I have already stated I am only expecting the same performance I can get from gmail, which is free. Relying on OE to save the sent mail is not acceptable. I will not pay money for a service that works like that.

And I am a new user. I don't use didley storage space.

I don't care what is normal. I specifically said in the beginning of the thread that I want the sent mail saved on the server. And as I have already stated I am only expecting the same performance I can get from gmail, which is free. Relying on OE to save the sent mail is not acceptable. I will not pay money for a service that works like that.

How have you got GMail setup so that using Outlook Express to sent it saves it on their server?

I thought GMail was only web access. If so, you have already stated that is working (using Internet Explorer, just like GMail).

If you really can setup GMail with IMAP and they have it configured so that any message you send via their SMTP is copied to your IMAP server location, you can not currently (to my knowledge) get that functionality here. You can ask support[at]spamcop.net or click on the Problem button inside webmail for more details or to ask for that functionality.

SpamCop's email is not meant to be a permanent storage location. While there are no current enforced limits, that may change if the storage requirements start to become out of hand. A large company like Google can handle that amount of storage, a small company like SpamCop email (completely separate company from Cisco/IronPort part of business) may not be willing to do that.

P.S. On further investigation, this is a function of the client being used. I have Vista and Windows Mail on this machine and have gotten it working as you describe. I don't know how to set it up with Outlook Express but I will give you the steps I used to get it working.

Under the individual account properties, there is an IMAP tab. In the bottom of that tab is a list of "Special Folders" listing the specific folders on the SpamCop server and a check box labeled: Store special folders on IMAP server all of which were (I believe) setup automatically when I configured the account. In the top of that tab was a text box labeled Root folder path: and that was originally blank and the application was storing on the local folders. When I changed that to "Inbox", it started storing outgoing messages in the "Sent Mail" folder on the server. I hope this helps you solve your issue and if it does, could you post the specific things you needed to do to get it working so others questions can be answered.

P.P.S. We have been told a number of times that SpamCop's folder configuration is not standard. I am not an IMAP expert, only having it setup on this machine as a test. Normally I use webmail during the day and download all to my home machine each night.

I specifically said in the beginning of the thread that I want the sent mail saved on the server.

Actually, the way I read and re-read your starting post, you "asked if there was a way" ..... in my opinion, that query has been answered.

And as I have already stated I am only expecting the same performance I can get from gmail, which is free.

And yet you also stated in your starting post that you had issues with GMail ...????

Relying on OE to save the sent mail is not acceptable.

Far be it from me that this particular thought seems a bit off the wall. Other folks have the paranoid view that maintaining so much data on world-accessible storge media such as GMail offers is more than a bit scarey. On the other hand, apparently you missed the IMAP comment, perhaps also suggesting that you also don't actually understand how IMAP works????

I will not pay money for a service that works like that.

JT's instructions, FAQ entries, description, etc. for the SpamCop.net e-mail accounts include that refunds are available.

Yet the suggestion of your initial post and follow-on responses tend to indicate your future intent ...????

P.S. On further investigation, this is a function of the client being used. I have Vista and Windows Mail on this machine and have gotten it working as you describe. I don't know how to set it up with Outlook Express but I will give you the steps I used to get it working.

Under the individual account properties, there is an IMAP tab. In the bottom of that tab is a list of "Special Folders" listing the specific folders on the SpamCop server and a check box labeled: Store special folders on IMAP server all of which were (I believe) setup automatically when I configured the account. In the top of that tab was a text box labeled Root folder path: and that was originally blank and the application was storing on the local folders. When I changed that to "Inbox", it started storing outgoing messages in the "Sent Mail" folder on the server.

OE6 is the same as descibed above.

Tools | Accounts | Properties (of the account) | IMAP tab

This is still basically settig up the 'mirror' function of IMAP for these 'special folders' which is what I was alluding to in previous posts.

Archived