Size Limit on SMTP Beta server?

Today, for the first time I tried to send a very large email bia SMTP.CESMAIL.NET

I got back the response(from OE):

The message could not be sent because its size exceeded the server's limit. You can use the option, located in Tools | Accounts | Properties | Advanced, to break messages into smaller parts. Subject 'Fw: Pete's Homecoming...', Account: 'Prodigy', Server: 'smtp.cesmail.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '552 5.3.4 Error: message file too big', Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 552, Error Number: 0x800CCC6D

Is there a way to override that size?

TIA

Is there a way to override that size?

From your end .. no. There are several places where file-size limits exist/are configured on a server. Some are hardware dependent, some are software application constraints, some are configurable settings. Even if your Host allowed you to send a 16Meg+ file, there is no assurance that all the servers/Hosts involved in passing that e-mail along will allow such 'abuse' of their e-mail servers.

Your OE error message already gave you one example of a work-around .. breaking that file into smaller bits which would mean that the recipient would have to know how to combine the parts again.

The normal suggestion is to find a better way to handle file transfers, FTP being the most obvious and oldest. Placing it on a web-site is another alternative.

Thanks...

1) Yup I know of the alternatives, I am just trying to make it easy for one or more receipients who are basically PC illiterate!

2) What's wierd is that it made to to me, via SPAMCOP servers...

GMAIL---> ATT YAHOO ---> SPAMCOP ---> popped into OE

3) I know that many people say that mail should not be used for that purpose. What is happenning is that the output of digital cameras is getting bigger and bgger...

...1) Yup I know of the alternatives, I am just trying to make it easy for one or more receipients who are basically PC illiterate!. ...
Sympathy. But y'know people learn at a rate commensurate with need. Stop spoonfeeding them and it's (sometimes) amazing how well they can cope. 'Scuse the homespun.

...3) I know that many people say that mail should not be used for that purpose. What is happenning is that the output of digital cameras is getting bigger and bgger...
Oh, and another thing - which is not to say you have to use it all. File size is/ought to be a decision you make. All depends on purpose/use of the image of course but you make that sound irrelevant.

2) What's wierd is that it made to to me, via SPAMCOP servers...

GMAIL---> ATT YAHOO ---> SPAMCOP ---> popped into OE

I'm thinking that the last time this came up, JT threw up a response ... as I recall it simply went back to trying not to lose any incoming. Which of course is a totally different scenarion from 'sending' stuff out.

3) I know that many people say that mail should not be used for that purpose. What is happenning is that the output of digital cameras is getting bigger and bgger...

There are those old folks that still stand by the fact that e-mail should be limited to plain-text. In tha light, just who is actually going to 'read' a 16Meg document via their e-mail client? <g>

Size if the photos still goes back to the format they are saved as. I had a funny experience with a girl using that crappy Kodak EasyShare software. My complaint about receiving some pictures from her to place on her web-site (anywhere from 8 to 20+Meg) were countered by the fact that on her screen (under that application) the pictures weren't but the size of a postage stamp .. as contrasted by my several screenfulls of picture that required much scrolling to see the whole thing.

Archived