GVTC.com

Two people with email accounts at GVTC.com report that emails they send to me are being returned as not able to be delivered / failure.

Is SpamCop.net blocked by the admins at GVTC.com?

Please help.

I'm unsure why you might assume that - is there some 'history'? Have they confirmed they can send to other addresses? Coincidentally we're having server issues at work (since Friday night, local time) - inwards mail (including spam) is fine, some outwards returns a 5.5.0 permanent failure message and, very probably, all other stuff just 'evaporates', I'm fairly sure none of it is getting through anyway (test to either Hotmail or Yahoo account - forget which - returned an 'undeliverable', the other didn't but neither did it get through).

So, a relatively long shot but that scenario is possible. Needless to say (maybe you tested too), spamcop.net domain is resolving fine, SMTP sessions work fine from here right now.

Since the spamcop email service doesn't block any email (just tags email from IP addresses reported as sending spam), I can see why you think that your correspondents' email service is blocking their outgoing email to spamcop.net. However, your correspondents are the ones to ask their email service why their email is not being delivered, don't you think?

As Farelf suggests, sometimes doing some tests helps in resolving exactly where the problem is and in convincing help desks that it is /their/ problem.

Farelf and I are both assuming that you have a spamcop email account. If you do and you are forwarding from another account, that adds another possibility of someone blocking. OTOH, perhaps your correspondents are getting a non-deliverable message mentioning spamcop.net. In that case, your ISP (not spamcop.net or the spamcop email service) is using the spamcop blocklist to block, rather than tag email, from IP addresses reported as sending spam. Your correspondents may share an IP address with a trojanned computer.

HTH

Miss Betsy

Since the spamcop email service doesn't block any email (just tags email from IP addresses reported as sending spam), I can see why you think that your correspondents' email service is blocking their outgoing email to spamcop.net. However, your correspondents are the ones to ask their email service why their email is not being delivered, don't you think?

As Farelf suggests, sometimes doing some tests helps in resolving exactly where the problem is and in convincing help desks that it is /their/ problem.

Farelf and I are both assuming that you have a spamcop email account. If you do and you are forwarding from another account, that adds another possibility of someone blocking. OTOH, perhaps your correspondents are getting a non-deliverable message mentioning spamcop.net. In that case, your ISP (not spamcop.net or the spamcop email service) is using the spamcop blocklist to block, rather than tag email, from IP addresses reported as sending spam. Your correspondents may share an IP address with a trojanned computer.

Right, I have a SpamCop.net acount. And I'm not forwarding.

Apparently I'm wrong in assuming that emails from GVTC.com are being blocked as spam by Spamcop.net with error messages returned to the originators of those emails.

Thus, the email sending agent (GVTC.com) must have SpamCop.net on some blacklist to which that sending agent will not send emails. Is that right?

If that's the case, does SpamCop.net not notify the admins of sending agents that SpamCop.net is a valid email supplier when the sending agents are blocking emails to SpamCop.net? Just asking.

Because if every time I can't get emails from friends and in response I have to call the admins of their email service to discuss the legitimacy of SpamCop my life is going to become not fun pretty quickly, right?

Finally, email notification of replies is broken. I got no email notice of either of your replies.

Thank you for the replies by the way, I do appreciate it.

Now, how do I go about contacting the admins of GVTC.com to lobby for the legitimacy of SpamCop.net and what should I say? Some of these emails are from my Pastor and they're important to me.

Again, thanks.

Thus, the email sending agent (GVTC.com) must have SpamCop.net on some blacklist to which that sending agent will not send emails. Is that right?

Now, how do I go about contacting the admins of GVTC.com to lobby for the legitimacy of SpamCop.net and what should I say? Some of these emails are from my Pastor and they're important to me.

What exactly is the bounce message saying?

Not necessarily (blacklist). The person/people with the business relationship to GVTC.com needs to ask why their messages are not being delivered. The only person/people right now with enough information to talk with GVTC.com appears to be the sender of the messages. They would need to provide at least the address they were sending to and the time the messages were sent so GVTC can look at their email logs and see what happened.

Alternatively, you can contact support[at]spamcop.net with the same information to see if there were any attempts at delivery they can find in their logs.

Apparently I'm wrong in assuming that emails from GVTC.com are being blocked as spam by Spamcop.net with error messages returned to the originators of those emails.

Working with assumptions causes all kinds of other problems. If these folks are receiving rejection/failure-to-deliver messages, those error message contents need to known for any kind of specific understanding of what is actually going on. At this point, even that these folks didn't type in the correct e-mail address can't be ruled out.

Now you're asking that 'we' make assumptions .... Yes, there have been some ISPs/Hosts that have gone to that level, but more commonly, some idiotic ISPs/Hosts have configured their outgoing e-mail servers to run through a filter that includes the keyword 'spam' and thusly decides to nuke that outgoing e-mail. However, none of this has any bearing on your query, as there is no data to work with.

If that's the case, does SpamCop.net not notify the admins of sending agents that SpamCop.net is a valid email supplier when the sending agents are blocking emails to SpamCop.net? Just asking.

Not sure how that would work. If the e-mail is not seen by the SpamCop.net server, how and why would any kind of a response get generated? If in fact the e-mail did get to the SpamCop.net server, than (as pointed out in above dialog) it would normally be delivered.

Because if every time I can't get emails from friends and in response I have to call the admins of their email service to discuss the legitimacy of SpamCop my life is going to become not fun pretty quickly, right?

Agree with the complexities in life mounting but would have to also argue that the scenario isn't very likely. The 'legitimacy' seems like a strange thing to have to explain ... it's an existing and valid Domain name, with Records in place such that it 'exists' .... what is there to have to explain?

What I suggest .. have your folks with issue (or you) take a look at the SpamCop FAQ as found here from the links at the top of the page .. scroll down to the section;

E-mail Submittal Problems / Issues

E-Mail spam submittals blocked by your ISP? Updated!

Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing? No Confirmation e-mails?

Take a read of the issues, problems, suggested troubleshooting procedures, etc. Add in getting the exact / actual rejection notice contents. I believe then there could be some specific discussion about what's going on and what's needed to fix whatever the problem may be.

Finally, email notification of replies is broken. I got no email notice of either of your replies.

Please change the mode to "immediate" and see if that solves this issue.

Again, I'm not in agreement woth your words. But more importantly, I don't see enough data thus far to really go in any direction other than asking for some help/input from these folks that are having problems sending you e-mail.

Although I usually advocate that the *sender* should be the one to complain about inadequate email delivery, pastors are usually busy people and I can understand why you want to help your pastor out. OTOH, pastors usually want to reach all people who want to hear from them so it might not be bad idea to try to educate your pastor on the limitations of email and what can be done about it. In some cases nothing can be done. In others, such as the scenario of hir ISP filtering outgoing email, then s/he should know and either convince his ISP to not filter hir email or change email service so that /none/ of hir emails are filtered out.

IOW, your pastor is the person with the problem, not you. If you want us to help you help hir solve hir problem, then we will need a copy of the non-delivery message.

If you think that s/he just will not understand, an alternative is to use another email account (free) just for your pastor. You could have it forwarded to your spamcop.net account. If that one doesn't work either, then there is more going on than filtering on the word 'spam'.

Miss Betsy

Maybe O/T but indicative of the sort of thing that can occur - I mentioned near the top of this topic that my work-place's outwards mail was being blocked (over the entire weekend as it turned out) while inwards was fine. There was the possibility of a parallel with the GVTC.com server(s). Turns out it was our own ISP doing the blocking and they were doing it to everyone on the smart host set-up (though denying that most strenuously - but the footprints are there). Seems some tweak they applied in their unending quest to rid the world of spam by simply blocking trojanned machines in their network backfired - all mail in that routing was being blocked, their rejection notices were inexplicit (well, actually misleading) and their support staff flatly lied about the forensics when asked for assistance (they may be incompetent but they're not entirely stupid). Even as a hospital with no patients is perfectly efficient, a network which sends nothing is quite spam free. Nice.

Anyway, information from GVTC.com (or its users) is needed to start to tie down what happened or is happening. But don't rely on simple answers. Sometimes 'they' lie - but you can count on their cupidity.

I'm off to get a print out of the error messages from the two parties with GVTC.com email addresses who can't send to SpamCop.net. I understand not having the full error text is a problem.

Additionally, both parties were doing a Reply-To: to emails I sent them from my SpamCop.net account. So the bad typing is not the issue.

Thanks for all your help.

Still no notification of replies ... gotta go figure out how to turn on that "immediate" thing.

Incidentally, the misleading message our ISP was issuing (configured to sort of make it look like our own server) was

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: eMail

Sent: 7/06/2008 5:04 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

x on 7/06/2008 5:04 PM

There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.

<mail.xxx.com.au #5.5.0 smtp;550 #5.1.0 Address rejected.>

where mail.xxx.com.au is our mail server but, as said, it only ever 'talks' to the ISP's smart host servers, which with (partial) names like outbound.icp-qv1-irony-out3 reveal the employment a certain Chaucerian precision in their naming conventions, especially the 'irony' bit. The outbound. server was the actual rejecting server and I guess the 'real' (though mistaken) reason was unauthorized relay attempt.

Yes, we need the exact wording of any NDRs (non-delivery reports) received by the GVTC.com senders.

DT

(on edit: this was the last post in the first topic, then the OP came back with the requested info, which appears below)

• 1 month later...

My neighbors who have accounts with GVTC.com are not able to send me email. They get return error messages such as this:

"An unknown error has occurred: Subject 'Re: Chuck Herrick email address', Account: 'mail.gvtc.com', Server: 'smtp.gvtc.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 Permanent Failure: Message delivery failed. You are not allowed to send to the requested destination address.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC69"

I reported to the sys admins at GVTC.com and they state that the problem is on the SpamCop end, saying that Spamcop is not allowing mail to come in from GVTC.com.

I read my email via Webmail.

Can anyone help?

If I've posted this in the wrong forum, can an admin please move this for me and thanks.

You've posted in the correct forum, but I think you previously posted an almost identical topic back on June 7 2008:

GVTC.com, Email from GVTC.com fails to deliver to Spamcop.net

Your last post to that topic included the followng:

I'm off to get a print out of the error messages from the two parties with GVTC.com email addresses who can't send to SpamCop.net. I understand not having the full error text is a problem.

I don't think you came back with the full error text back then, so this new topic you're posting should actually be merged with the old one (moderators, please!).

From the text you've posted, it's clear that the problem is on the GVTC end, NOT on SpamCop's end. However, I've got some bad news for you....this same problem was reported here by "bcstones" back in February:

List blacklisting email directed toward spamcop/spamhaus domain

Which started as follows:

I was told by a tech at gvtc.com (a local ISP) that anyone attempting to email me at my spamcop.net address would have their email bounced back...something to do with the list service they used.

The impression I got at that time of GVTC wasn't very positive (to put it mildly). Take a look at this post in that topic:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=63055

You'll note that their third-party Help service isn't even aware of Windows Vista....good grief!

So, your best bet is to get the GVTC customers to use a Yahoo (AOL, Hotmail, etc.) address when they correspond with you. Or, if you're a glutton for punishment, you can keep trying to get the GVTC folks to own up that the problem is on *their* end and to fix it....good luck with that. <_<

DT

Crikey, I was afraid of that. Reading the bcstones thread sounded like deja vu. Indeed, the GVTC.com support people are ... oh heck, never mind. Rudeness never solved anything.

Thanks to you all. Now I have to go figure out a plan for how to convince a Pastor and a cowboy in rural central Texas to manage two email systems.

Can anyone help?

Hard to help with previously asked for data still not provided. Although, it doesn't appear that much has changed since the first time you asked the same question.

If I've posted this in the wrong forum, can an admin please move this for me and thanks.

This "new" Topic was merged into your previous Topic/Discussion. This also means that if you attempted to subscribe to the 'new' Topic, that subscription action isn't worth a hoot, as the identification numbers have changed due to this Merge action.

Of course, you never mentioned whether the suggested changes to the subscription 'mode' made any difference or not.

PM sent to advise of this Mover/Merge action.

Archived