Not getting all mail to abuse@ ?

Cedders

That seems logical. The main problem is when there is no data available - as in the case of the trap hits.

You keep saying this and it is incorrect. There is plenty of data available to those with access (the deputies). The entire email is available for them to scan and they can determine why it was received (auto-reply, misdircted bounce or direct spam) and pass that information along to you. They will not provide the message itself, but it does exist.

Well, I guess I have access to public/subscriber information myself - ideally what I wanted was someone with access to the SpamCop source code, or detailed documentation for it. I didn't bring up domains or URLs; I thought you did.

(1) User spam source reports and (2) "spamvertized URL reports" to the main abuse address; and (3) alerts and (4) summary reports to a secondary address (abuse2[at]). I assumed that would have been clear from my first post, at least to anyone else who was similarly subscribed.

Data from your same post. You say again that didn't bring up Domains/URLs, yet you then turn around and describe the receipt of a "spamvertised URL" Report. I simply do not understand your distinction ... a URL certainly contans a Domain, as wrapped up within a SpamCop.net Report/Complaint.

The "User" column being the SpamCop Reporters that are not Mole Reporters.

The difference being the Reporting system attempting to send out a Report on the User generated Reports. Failure to receive them might be as silly as an incorrect or inappropriate e-mail address, an e-mail address that had in turn been "turned off" due to bouncing, recipient action by selecting the "Do Not Send any more Reports" or Deputy action to stop sending reports to that address.

So, the OP's original question about getting a user report, but it not showing up on the summary is due to what? (though I probably should check that out to see if I am remembering correctly - I am not in the mood to decipher which reports are which, but it looks as though possibly /source/ reports are included but not spamvertized reports).

Though actually he is more concerned with 'trap' statistics, which, as you point out, the only data available is via the deputies and then it is only a category such as misdirected bounce, out of office reply, or direct spam.

Didn't someone say that statistics are only accurate 74% of the time?

Miss Betsy

So, the OP's original question about getting a user report, but it not showing up on the summary is due to what?

That's where the reseach would have come into play, had specific data been provided.

(though I probably should check that out to see if I am remembering correctly - I am not in the mood to decipher which reports are which, but it looks as though possibly /source/ reports are included but not spamvertized reports).

Recall, signing up for Summary Reports is against an IP Address, not a Domain.

So, the answer to the OP's original question is that spamvertized reports do not show up on the Summary. An alternate suggestion is that the volume of outgoing mail is so low that a trap hit may show up one time and a user report a lot later - which essentially means the problem is not fixed.

Miss Betsy

So, the answer to the OP's original question is that spamvertized reports do not show up on the Summary.

Correct.

An alternate suggestion is that the volume of outgoing mail is so low that a trap hit may show up one time and a user report a lot later - which essentially means the problem is not fixed.

That's somewhat nebulous. Starting with the math involved in getting (de)listed, one has to note that time is one of the variables. There is also the disclaimer on the Request Aggregate Reports Configuration page that reads "Aggregate reports will be sent only if there is spam:"

So yes, there's a bit of a timing relationship between when an itemized action occurs, when the Summary Report is requested and/or generated, and the age of the information involved, coupled with the "time difference" between the actual outgoing/generated Reports/actions and the updating of the database itself. This could be milli-seconds or minutes, depending on the system load of the various systems involved.

I think that it is not a matter of timing, but that it could be that whatever is causing the hits may hit a trap one week and a reporter another week, but not necessarily both at the same time. The reason might be the volume of the spam run (though originally I was thinking the volume of these organizations which doesn't make sense actually). Or it might be that, being volunteers, they are not using computers every day, or different people are using them so that one day someone uses automatic rejection and another day a volunteer uses a compromised computer or even an ill maintained list.

An ounce of Prevention is worth more than an ounce of cure. It would be much more helpful to everyone to 'educate' these volunteers to use computers and best practices mailing rather than try to track down each 'hit'.

Miss Betsy

Archived