[Resolved] mail.spamcop.net or pop.spamcop.net ?

Hello,

I've used spamcop reporting for years, but I'm just about to set up filtering through spamcop from my existing ISP address.

I understand what I've read so far on the basics of forwarding my existing ISP email to spamcop, then using POP to retrieve the mail from spamcop into my Windows Mail; however, I'm confused because the FAQ lists two different POP server names in the same article, so which is it? Check this page: http://mail.spamcop.net/setup/setup_pop2.php (All FAQs on this subject point to this same page.)

- In paragraph 1, it states "If you already know how to set this up, the POP server is "mail.spamcop.net". Just use that with your username and password that you login to webmail with and you should be able to POP your mail."

- In paragraph 4 of the same FAQ, it states "The POP server name is pop.spamcop.net." :unsure:

?? Are these both valid? Interchangeable? What am I missing? I can't be the only one confused by this.

Thanks in advance

DB

...?? Are these both valid? Interchangeable? What am I missing? I can't be the only one confused by this. ...
Hi. Yes, last I heard (not a user myself) they were interchangeable though pop was preferred. Searching on both (at once) produces many confirming hits like

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=186

And yes - this happy-go-lucky interoperability has been around for a long time, worrying many but presumably not a real issue.

H:\>nslookup

Default Server: x

Address: x

> pop.spamcop.net

Server: x

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: pop.spamcop.net

Address: 216.154.195.50

> mail.spamcop.net

Name: mail.spamcop.net

> imap.spamcop.net

Name: mail.cesmail.net

Aliases: imap.spamcop.net

>

You're welcome. Thanks for coming back with a result (all the better for it being mostly positive). But yeah, that FAQ should be altered - we users can't do that but will email JT (owner of the mail part of SC). That aside, marking this resolved.

Archived