multiple blank lines between header and body

scubak1w1

Hello,

I am getting spam with multiple blank lines between the header and the body...

(i) is Quick Reporting reporting or dropping spams of this nature?

(ii) if using the 'full reporting', can I legitimately edit the spam to have just one blank line between the headers and the body, and the parser will process the header at least? (e.g., http://mailsc.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=gett...rtid=3419147922)

(iii) how should I edit the spam to get the parser to see the body as well? (as Thunderbird sees it just fine, if I choose to open it)

(iv) If this sort of editing is "OK" (ish), do I need to add a note to that effect? (much like adding a "[no body]" note as a body for header-only spams?)

Cheers:

skiwi

I am getting spam with multiple blank lines between the header and the body...

What is the problem? More than one blank line is nothing more than additional (vertical) whitespace .. ignored during the parse ....

Your link is basically useless. The 'mailsc' link limits access to members with paid accounts. The 'report ID' part is an item addressed within the SpamCop FAQ here. the point being that a Report ID is of value only to 'you' ....

In addition, the Forum FAQ clearly states that multiple accounts here are not allowed. Please state which account you'd prefer to have deleted. Unfortunately, you have chosen to post under both accounts, so there's a bunch of manual updates needed to clean things up, a lot of work that should not be needed.

[On edit - tacking this on to Wazoo's post so as not to potentially create more clean-up work.

I suggest the body of the spam in question might have looked like this one:

http://marc.info/?l=alice&m=121971067605207&q=raw

... in which case, there are certainly no problems for the parser.]

thanks for the reply...

I was not at home - so thought I might use the forums... feel free to delete whatever you see as appropiate here in the forums

I will return to the better utility / less 'fluff' of the newsgroups I lurk in... post the spam in .spam in its entirety, no messing with this or that link, and then refer to it in a 'regular' newsgroup post

Just FYI (and I recognise that this is a little esoteric as you can not see the spam itself):

- as received

* the spam can be opened in an email client 'properly'

* the spam will not pass at all in the SpamCop parser

- removing the multiple blank lines between the header and the body allows the

header to be parsed, but not the body...

cheers!

Just FYI (and I recognise that this is a little esoteric as you can not see the spam itself):

- as received

* the spam can be opened in an email client 'properly'

* the spam will not pass at all in the SpamCop parser

- removing the multiple blank lines between the header and the body allows the

header to be parsed, but not the body...

That does not compute with the way the parser works. I can introduce multiple blank lines into a spam and still have it parse the headers and body correctly. You will likely still need to provide tracking URL's over in the newsgroups to show what you are seeing.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2189498572zf...97a4d0c2ba8f97z

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2189500776za...aee3efff981bcez

purely FYI, as you seemed interested - here is an example that will parses (or not) exactly as I describe above

before it is mentioned by the 'forum custodians', no link/URL posted as I did not submit it in any way, shape or form...

:-)

-------------------

Return-Path: <storemu[at]bar-plate.com>

Delivered-To: x

Received: (qmail 13804 invoked from network); 26 Aug 2008 18:46:59 -0000

X-spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.2.4 (2008-01-01) on blade5

X-spam-Level: *******************************

X-spam-Status: hits=31.7 tests=HELO_DYNAMIC_DHCP,INVALID_MSGID,MISSING_DATE,

MISSING_HB_SEP,MISSING_HEADERS,MISSING_SUBJECT,MSGID_OUTLOOK_INVALID,

MSGID_SPAM_LETTERS,RATWARE_MS_HASH,RATWARE_OUTLOOK_NONAME,RDNS_DYNAMIC,

URIBL_AB_SURBL,URIBL_BLACK,URIBL_JP_SURBL,URIBL_OB_SURBL,URIBL_RHS_DOB,

URIBL_SC_SURBL,URIBL_WS_SURBL version=3.2.4

Received: from unknown (192.168.1.108)

by blade5.cesmail.net with QMQP; 26 Aug 2008 18:46:59 -0000

Received: from dsl88-246-47407.ttnet.net.tr (88.246.185.47)

by mx71.cesmail.net with SMTP; 26 Aug 2008 18:46:58 -0000

Message-ID: <6360______________________5e04[at]bar-plate.com>

From: "=?windows-1251?B?QWxpc3RhaXIgQXJub2xk?=" <storemu[at]bar-plate.com>

To: <skiwi[at]spamcop.net>

Subject: =?windows-1251?B?U29sdXRpb24gZm9yIHlvdXIgc2V4dWFsIGxpZmU=?=

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 3609 21:47:02 +0300

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary=----=_NextPart_000_0023_C5_FD803DA7.C6405FF8

X-Priority: 3

X-MSMail-Priority: Normal

X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180

X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0023_C5_FD803DA7.C6405FF8

Content-Type: text/plain;

charset="iso-8859-1"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

X-SpamCop-Checked:

X-SpamCop-Disposition: Blocked SpamAssassin=31

The ultimate convenience store in drugs, brought to=20

you in just one click!

=20

Select from thousands of prescr. drugs to be=20

delivered right to your doorstep.

=20

- V & C, Tram, Som all available

=20

- Express delivery

=20

- Secure checkout via credit card

=20

- No limit to quantity ordered

=20

- NO DOCTOR'S VISITS - all orders are filled=20

inhouse and shipped out straight to you

=20

Don't pay a single cent more than you have to for=20

the meds you need, today.

=20

Click here

Content-Type: text/html;

charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

<HTML><HEAD>

<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; iso-8859-1">

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2180" name=3DGENERATOR>

<STYLE></STYLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The ultimate convenience store in drugs, b=

rought to=20

you in just one click!</FONT></DIV>

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Select from thousands of prescr. drugs to =

be=20

delivered right to your doorstep.</FONT></DIV>

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- V & C, Tram, Som all available</FONT=

></DIV>

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- Express delivery</FONT></DIV>

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- Secure checkout via credit card</FONT></=

DIV>

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- No limit to quantity ordered</FONT></DIV=

>

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- NO DOCTOR'S VISITS - all orders are fill=

ed=20

inhouse and shipped out straight to you</FONT></DIV>

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Don't pay a single cent more than you have=

to for=20

the meds you need, today.</FONT></DIV>

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20

href=3D"http://duringfell.com">Click here</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0023_C5_FD803DA7.C6405FF8--

charset="iso-8859-1"

The above area is the appropriate section for the blank line as that is where the boundry is. The fact that removing the blank lines below that allows you to get a correct parse (even though I don't yet understand why it gives you anything different) is really not part of the problem (or a real fix).

The fact that the spamcop headers are at the top of those blank lines seems to indicate that is how spamcop received it.

I do get tired of discussions without any real data. I submitted this peace of spam using the web page to cut and past in the spam. Then between these two lines

----------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C907AA.BC3451F0 

I inserted several line feeds before submitting it to the parser. As you can see this parses just fine. Being "modified" I unchecked all the blocks and had the parser send me a copy of the report. This makes the URL work and not report the spam.

{edit} On second look I see that the parser no only identified the source of the spam but also identified the "Administrator of network hosting website referenced in spam", which is below the multiple blank lines. {/edit}

Perhaps we could see other examples.

I think that something is scrambling up your headers. These lines:

charset="iso-8859-1"

X-SpamCop-Checked:

Should be in this order:

X-SpamCop-Checked:

charset="iso-8859-1"

So, my question is....what is scrambling your headers? I'm going to guess that it's whatever software and/or method you're using to obtain the raw message format. I too have a SpamCop email account and my headers never arrive jumbled up like that. I'm pretty sure that's your problem....and that it's on your computer.

DT

Being "modified" I unchecked all the blocks and had the parser send me a copy of the report. This makes the URL work and not report the spam.

You can also just cancel the parse, saving the URL from the top of the parse. This is a bit safer in my estimation as when you submit, my understanding is that the spam is counted on the BL figures.

You can also just cancel the parse, saving the URL from the top of the parse.

Could be. After doing the parse (to see how/if it worked) I got to the submit reports. When I canceled there I was left with a "Report Now." Guess I should have canceled then? (wouldn't expose an email address ether.)

I can go back to bed now, I've learned something today. ;)

purely FYI, as you seemed interested - here is an example that will parses (or not) exactly as I describe above
Thanks, that *is* the same body that is in the link I tacked on to Wazoo's post. There are two things fundamentally wrong with the spam you have posted
  • the boundary string when it is declared in the header doesn't match the boundaries in the body (needs to be:
    boundary=------=_NextPart_000_0023_C5_FD803DA7.C6405FF8)
  • The one critical space between the headers and the body is missing (needs to be:
    This is a multi-part message in MIME format.)

See http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2190761209z4affc6659dff0762ac90115a832030d5z with just those minimal changes made.

That one hasn't found the spamvertized link, could still be things wrong.

DavidT pointed out the several misplaced X-SpamCop lines. They don't prevent the parse in themselves but very likely do indicate the source of the mangling (though the mangling seen in this case almost defies belief). Not editing the spam in a spreadsheet are you? Nah, probably just the way the spammer made it. But then getting a successful parse?? Just doesn't add up. Unless you are pasing the headers and body seperately into the 2-part "outlook/eudora workaround form" boxes in the webform submission page. That would be rather naughty in this context (not giving us the information to work with).

Good luck going to the newsgroups - give them more information, like your email client(s), confirm the submission method(s) and tool(s) for failed and successful results, etc.

...I will return to the better utility / less 'fluff' of the newsgroups I lurk in... post the spam in .spam in its entirety, no messing with this or that link, and then refer to it in a 'regular' newsgroup post. ...
The heavy hitters "over there" seem to prefer the tracking links pointing to the parsed result these days, just like here. Reason being you introduce irrelevant tools and processes when you copy and paste spam to a bulletin board or to a newsgroup (had to restore the offsets in the stuff you pasted here, just for starters). And it is all too easy to paste the wrong 'version', something other than what is producing the results being discussed. But go for it, they are better placed to discuss their own 'druthers.

...That one hasn't found the spamvertized link, could still be things wrong. ...
Ah no, that would be the old iso-8859-1 7-bit/8-bit problem I guess, that

<A href=3D"http://duringfell.com">Click here</A> construction looking familiar - along with all the "=20"s. Dodgy spammer mass mailing ware being the cause IIUUC. And SC is not optimized for dealing with "spamvertized sites" anyway.

FWIW, duringfell.com, a HiChina domain, being NXD right now while they hunt for new hosts and nameservers.

...I only see one blank line after the headers.
Interesting ... and thanks for that link Don, no more fruitless conjecture.

And, to the O/P - the defects I mentioned in my previous are all that prevent the 'real' spam from parsing all the way through too. But nothing can be done about that, in terms of legitimate SC reporting. It is unfortunate that the defective code is, you say, 'correctly' rendered by (some) email client. But it doesn't matter - reports would be/did get sent to the spam source anyway (parsing of the headers for that part is not actually affected) - and that is the 'mission'. And as said, the spamvertized website is out of the picture anyway, however briefly.

I only see one blank line after the headers.

And that message source doesn't display the same "headers/body" jumble that I pointed out earlier. We need for "Scuba" to come back and answer the question about how those mangled headers were obtained.

DT

I was not at home - so thought I might use the forums... feel free to delete whatever you see as appropiate here in the forums

This doesn't really help much in me trying to make a decision. You imply that if you find yourself somewhere else in the future, you'll do the same thing again ...???? Am I supposed to read into this that you've forgotten your original account data or try to come up with some other reason for generating another account?? (Which of course feeds into which account should be 'adjusted' ..)

Here is the Tracking URL for that spam.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2187243858z5...6a8b55309b08ddz

That would fit in with the user description of "editing out all the extra blank lines" in the submittal. What would be needed would be a copy of one of the 'failed' attempts.

I will return to the better utility / less 'fluff' of the newsgroups I lurk in... post the spam in .spam in its entirety, no messing with this or that link, and then refer to it in a 'regular' newsgroup post

And that message source doesn't display the same "headers/body" jumble that I pointed out earlier. We need for "Scuba" to come back and answer the question about how those mangled headers were obtained.

I just checked again (although not including spamcop.spam) but I don't see where any post has been made in any of the other newsgroups referencing this issue.

reportid 3419147922

Here is the Tracking URL for that spam.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2187243858z5...6a8b55309b08ddz

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2187237559z9...a3c3c540035c44z

I think that is the Tracking URL to the failed submission the OP is talking about. It appears to be the same spam as described above. Looks like the same msgid and time stamps as the other one.

There are multiple blank lines after the headers, but that isn't the problem.

The problem is that the headers are truncated. They're missing essential information, and so the parse balks because it knows the headers are incomplete.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2187237559z9...a3c3c540035c44z

I think that is the Tracking URL to the failed submission the OP is talking about. It appears to be the same spam as described above. Looks like the same msgid and time stamps as the other one.

There are multiple blank lines after the headers, but that isn't the problem.

The problem is that the headers are truncated. They're missing essential information, and so the parse balks because it knows the headers are incomplete.

Thanks Don... THAT makes sense because looking at the parse, there is one LONG line there that would probably be fixed on any editing. It is strange that the "Display" function correctly displays this same header, however.

The problem is that the headers are truncated.

Actually, rather than truncation, a careful analysis demonstrates what I posted above -- that the preface to the first part of the "multipart" boundaries have been mangled into the headers, inserted before the "X-SpamCop" lines. These lines:

------=_NextPart_000_0023_DC_1BE25FC3.A65FA186

charset="iso-8859-1"

should appear in the body, not the headers of the raw message. They should appear *after* these lines (and a blank line):

X-SpamCop-Checked:

X-SpamCop-Disposition: Blocked SpamAssassin=33

So...it appears that something on the OP's end is mangling the raw source, commingling part of the body with the headers. But I pointed that out before and nobody really picked up on it. Please take another look and I think you'll find that I'm correct.

The OP hasn't bothered to come back, however, so this is all a bit of an exercise in futility....

DT

...So...it appears that something on the OP's end is mangling the raw source, commingling part of the body with the headers. But I pointed that out before and nobody really picked up on it. ...
Yeah I did.
The OP hasn't bothered to come back, however, so this is all a bit of an exercise in futility....
Yep, he's taken it to the newgroups. Last log-in here was to make his post #7 above. Asking the same questions over there ... Mike Easter responding with his infinite patience and formidable insight/knowledge:

"There are a lot of things 'wrong with' the spamitem which you pasted into

.spam, and it is not possible for us to see the item as originally sent

before it was -1- munched on by SC's SpamAssassin filter -2- handled by

the submission process -3- changed by spurious linewraps from being pasted

into .spam" ...etc.

Yeah I did.

But it was a subtle acknowledgement ("DavidT pointed out the several misplaced X-SpamCop lines") and others have seemingly blown right past my analysis. Take another look, folks.

Yep, he's taken it to the newgroups

Right...I've just posted over there, too.

DT

Right...I've just posted over there, too.

A bit after my post that was meant to be a it of a jest over the fact that Mike E. basically said the same thing(s) you did. I'm thinking that Mike E. perhaps missed the <g>

A bit after my post that was meant to be a it of a jest over the fact that Mike E. basically said the same thing(s) you did.

Yes, I saw your post. What's needed in *either* venue is for the OP to reveal how he's obtaining the mangled headers. Also, I'm wondering about the submission methodology that produced this result:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2187237559z9...;action=display

I'm guessing that the OP obtained the mangled/corrupted headers from an email client on his computer and submitted using the past-into-the-form method, but if that's not the case, we need to hear it from the OP.

DT

I've seen the 'invalid address' messages lately too... I simply quick report them, rather than run them through the full reporting.

FYI, this is what's causin the problem:

charset="iso-8859-1"

X-SpamCop-Checked:

The parser is added the x-checked info after the content type. I assume that's due to a lame mail program the spammer used.

Archived