Genuinely Baffled

Neil

I operate a small business that uses email to communicate with its clients, nothing special here. In order to grow the business I have acquired, (for significant sums), from reputable sources B2B Lists where the sales order states that these are opt in lists for marketing purposes. Our messages are absolutely product based, of good taste, specifically targetted at the receipient and commercially relavent, guess what - on our first e-shot of a 1000 we get spam copped!. I don't understand why! Everyday we receive messages from a whole host of e-marketing companies similar messages and they go on delivering messages day after day or week after week. No I've not subscribed but they keep coming. What does my business have to do to overcome what seems to be arbitary decisions made by organisations who claim to be genuine and not malicious. We are not sending messages of an offensive nature, we are not sending offers to increase sexual prowess, we offer clean simple click to unsubscribe, (none of this get a password first nonsense). Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

At least you attempted to find an answer in the FAQ since that's where your post was! I have moved it to the SpamCop Blocklist Help forum where all the discussion is about the SpamCop Blocklist.

In the FAQ, there is one How to manage mailing lists responsibly that you missed.

Basically, you cannot buy an opt-in list. spam is not about content; it is about being unsolicited. None of the people on a bought list has agreed to receive email from you so it is unsolicited and therefore, spam.

Miss Betsy

PM Sent to advise poster of move.

In you due diligence of trying to understand the world, pray tell how you missed all of this;

FAQ Under Construction

This is a SpamCop.net FAQ Development/Support area

Please do NOT post any requests for help in this forum. Please post all questions in the appropriate Help Forum. This forum is reserved for the development of the SpamCop FAQ (here) and is open to all who wish to contribute to building a better FAQ. Suggestions for improvements are welcome as well as pointing out areas that are unclear or you are unable to understand as we can use those comments to improve the current FAQ (here).

Dur to the lack of any specific data, all the general inuendo involved, this appears to fall under the guise of what is considered to be a rant. Therefotr, this is being moved to the Lounge area with this post.

In order to grow the business I have acquired, (for significant sums), from reputable sources B2B Lists where the sales order states that these are opt in lists for marketing purposes

Yeah, yeah, yeah .... this is a pretty old story told many times. Seems like the results are pretty much the same .. those addresses usually belong to folks that don't care for unsolicited crap in their InBox.

Our messages are absolutely product based, of good taste, specifically targetted at the receipient and commercially relavent, guess what - on our first e-shot of a 1000 we get spam copped!. I don't understand why!

No details provided, so there's not much anyone here can research. But, I believe the above comment pretty much describe this 'not new' scenario.

Everyday we receive messages from a whole host of e-marketing companies similar messages and they go on delivering messages day after day or week after week. No I've not subscribed but they keep coming.

Yet, you would have us believe that your unsolicited, tageted, good taste e-mail wouldn't be considered the same type of undesired incoming crap by your 'specially selected future prospects' ??????

What does my business have to do to overcome what seems to be arbitary decisions made by organisations who claim to be genuine and not malicious.

Perhaps do some research ...??? Numerous FAQ entries acailable, even here on 'business practices' and such.

Your 'prganizations' word is taken to most likely mean SpamCop.net in this context ... and yet again, more research is needed. SpamCOp.net provides tools for users to handle their spam. Your alleged "spam copped!!!" thing (it must be assumed) is the result of folks taking exception to your unsolicited e-mail and using the SpamCop.net tool=set to Report/Complain about it.

We are not sending messages of an offensive nature, we are not sending offers to increase sexual prowess, we offer clean simple click to unsubscribe, (none of this get a password first nonsense).

Yet, it appears to be totally unsolicited. Why is that so hard to understand?

Edit: While I was typing this, Miss Betsy moved it to the Blocking List Forum section. I will let it set there for a bit to see if there is some follow-up that actually describes something more than just the rant material provided thus far.

In order to grow the business I have acquired, (for significant sums), from reputable sources B2B Lists where the sales order states that these are opt in lists for marketing purposes.

Bad news, Neil -- those lists obviously were NOT "opt-in" and the "reputable sources" sold you contaminated lists. You should try to get your money back, and you should also post the identity of these "reputable sources" here for our analysis and investigation.

In my experience, most of the "opt-in" lists for sale out there are not what they pretend to be. Most of them have been compiled and marketed without the express permission of the owners of the email addresses. You've been taken advantage of, and any futher transmissions to those addresses will surely result in further SpamCop reports, which is generally a negative thing for reputable businesses like yours.

DT

I am interested in knowing this site where you can buy the opt-in lists. What is the website?

Ideally, I would like to have it shutdown. But then, it does not stop them from setting up a new one and sell the email addresses from there. So, I will try to report them to knujon (www.knujon.com) and see if they can do something about it.

I have acquired, (for significant sums), from reputable sources B2B Lists
The crux of the issue is "Permission."

You can buy mailing lists, but you can't buy permission to send email to the folks on the lists.

You may want to review and implement the "best practices" policies outlined at these web sites:

http://nct.digitalriver.com/ecm/doihowto/

http://cluelessmailers.org/info/listmanagement.html

http://www.mail-abuse.com/support/an_listmgntgdlines.html

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Archived