Annoying little problem with Webmail

For the last four weeks I've noticed the following when using webmail; if I select an email using the tickbox and then click on the "Report as spam" heading, off it goes to be reported after the usual "are you sure" warning. The page then automatically refreshes BUT the buttons along the top of the webmail window are whited out, with the words missing and only the icons showing. A second refresh puts everything back to normal.

This happens when I'm reporting spam from any folder, but only when reporting spam.

Normally I would suspect something amiss with my laptop but it happens identically on my other laptop and also a desktop pc., so......... any ideas? Incidentally the operating systems are Vista 64bit and XP.

Normally I would suspect something amiss with my laptop but it happens identically on my other laptop and also a desktop pc., so......... any ideas? Incidentally the operating systems are Vista 64bit and XP.

I can't offer a solution but I'm not experiencing this...

Andrew

For the last four weeks I've noticed the following when using webmail; if I select an email using the tickbox and then click on the "Report as spam" heading, off it goes to be reported after the usual "are you sure" warning. The page then automatically refreshes BUT the buttons along the top of the webmail window are whited out, with the words missing and only the icons showing. A second refresh puts everything back to normal.

I have experienced this for some time and it is quite annoying.

Whether you see it or not has to do with the color scheme. I'm using the "Blue and White" and it's painfully obvious when the banner background color isn't there and you can't read the words on the buttons. Because my color scheme default background is white.

Point is, it didn't used to do this.

<_<

This happens when I'm reporting spam from any folder, but only when reporting spam.

Mo traffic on this over in the newsgroups. Only a single 'me too' here. Nothing said by either party with the issue about reporting the problem via the WebMail application button or direct e-mail contact with JT or Trevor. The mention of using alternate color schemes doesn't include any troubleshooting results of selecting another setting or trying to go back to Default. Starting poster hasn't come back to note the possibility of the same background situation. Not sure if there is a correlation between the "four weeks" and "for some time" ... relating to possibly matching some configuration change made on the servers.

Please see one of the How to ask a Good Question links or the Pinned How to ask a Question entry provided in most Forum sections for some other data not provided by either poster in their problem descriptions.

Whether you see it or not has to do with the color scheme. I'm using the "Blue and White" and it's painfully obvious when the banner background color isn't there and you can't read the words on the buttons. Because my color scheme default background is white.

Point is, it didn't used to do this.

OK, this is a helpful observation.

I wonder what colour scheme rcrd2111 is using.

Personally I have mine set to 'Loyola Blue' but when I get some mail held waiting to be reported I'll switch to 'Blue and White' and see if I can reproduce the issue.

Neither you nor the OP have indicated which browser you are using. That may be relevant to an issue such as this...

Andrew

Wazoo, I'm not sure where the How to ask a good question links are, but I was a little confused. I know there is a Problem button, but I wanted to check here first in case the problem was already reported. I thought that was good practice, not to bother JT or Trevor too much. (Frankly, I really wasn't going to report the problem, but I saw the thread already here so I decided to chime in.)

Yes, I tried several color schemes. Of the ones I checked, the only one that obviously has the problem is the "Blue and White"--it was the only one I saw that has a white background and white text on a blue background as default. So when the problem occurs, you get white text on a white background and you can't read it.

On the other hand, I see that the problem occurs with every color scheme I checked in the sense that the banner color is there sometimes and not at other times. You just don't notice it because the text and background are not the same color.

I have had this problem consistently for several weeks--I really don't recall exactly when it started--using IE 6 and IE 7 on Windows XP SP2 on at least 3 different computers.

agsteele, I would suggest trying it more than once. If my memory serves, sometimes the button banner background remains blue but the little strip below it, the one that says "Inbox" and contains the refresh and search icons, is white instead of blue. So you can't see the word "Inbox." That actually seems to be happening to me a lot even when I haven't reported spam. But some aspect of the background always seems to go haywire when reporting spam and at some other times.

Naturally, this is not a widespread problem because I doubt the "Blue and White" scheme is that popular and most people (like me) have treated it as a minor annoyance not worth reporting.... The obvious solution is to use a different color scheme.

P. S. I'd love to post a couple of screen shots. I don't see any way to do that.... I don't have a way to put them up on a web page to link to.

Wazoo, I'm not sure where the How to ask a good question links are,

'Front page' of this Forum includes Start Here - before you make your first Post ... not sure how to make that any more 'visible' to any and all folks.

The SpamCop Wiki includes these same links on pages such as Where to get Help

Noting that you didn't mention the Pinned entry within the Forum sections ...???

I know there is a Problem button, but I wanted to check here first in case the problem was already reported. I thought that was good practice, not to bother JT or Trevor too much.

Agreed, a good plan. However, all those 'extra' data bits are requested so as to help out those that would take the time to try to analyze things in a fashion that would possibly help to duplicate the issue, pinpoint the problem, or lead to a solution. Just noting that this same data would save a lot of going back and forth if the issue was submitted directly to JT/Trevor.

A large number of (display) issues like this unfortunatly do fall under that nasty area of the way different browsers handle displaying (and handling of) data. Different versions of browsers can offer their own impacts. The version and type of any scripting applcations involved can be an issue.

Thanks for adding in your additional data, results, and comments.

OK... I am using the blue and white scheme so I shall try another and let you know. Browsers on all computers are IE6, operating systems as stated in the first message.

Wazoo... I reported it via the problem button on 4 September 2008 and got a case number (Case 30886) but despite chasing it up I have never had any response!!!!!!!!!

!!!!

Just to report back... I switched my colour scheme to 'Blue and White' overnight and have still not been able to reproduce the issue in my configuration (WinXP with Firefox 3.0.4)

I'm switching back to my preferred 'Loyola Blue' scheme.

My guess is that this is either a change in the style sheet for the affected colour schemes or that the browser has had one of those behind the scenes updates which has changed the way the scheme is rendered. As MyNameHere observes this is a relatively minor issue which can be resolved by using a different colour scheme.

Andrew

It's definitely colour-scheme related.. I'm now using NeXT and it's fine. So problem resolved (unless the guys at SC want to modify whatever code needs modifying. :D

"The guys at SC" basically use an off the shelf product for the webmail application. They would be unlikely to know what code would need modifying or what to change it to. You should probably be making your complaint over at Horde IMP, the developers and maintainers of the webmail application.

I have had this problem consistently since the new Spamcop webmail interface was unveiled in Safari (now 3.x) in Mac OS 10.4.x. My color scheme is Teal. I've been using Camino for the last couple days (since Safari became unstable because of the 3.2 upgrade - I'm nearly positive I just need to remove some 3rd-party extensions but I've been lazy) and don't see the problem in Camino, at least so far.

Anne

Oops, got Safari back running and checked - it has what's probably a different problem. When the window is too narrow to display all the buttons across the top, "Open Folder" and the folder drop-down menu stay on the top line and everything else drops to the 2nd line (as also happens in Camino - which, BTW, is a Mozilla-family browser), but the top color band stays the same height -- so the buttons now appear against the white or very light background of of the "x message reported to spamcop" or "Last login:" space and are effectively invisible. This has happened with the several color schemes (teal, orange, postnuke) I've tried.

Anne

When the window is too narrow to display all the buttons across the top, "Open Folder" and the folder drop-down menu stay on the top line and everything else drops to the 2nd line (as also happens in Camino - which, BTW, is a Mozilla-family browser), but the top color band stays the same height -- so the buttons now appear against the white or very light background of of the "x message reported to spamcop" or "Last login:" space and are effectively invisible. This has happened with the several color schemes (teal, orange, postnuke) I've tried.

Thanks for all the work and the write-up, but .... all this sounds like the stuff covered by Trevor in his posts at the Pinned Topic New Webmail System - FAQ / Upgrade Guide, Formerly "Webmail Beta migration guide" ?????

Archived